C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 fuel level reads low.. Ran out of fuel !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default LT4 fuel level reads low.. Ran out of fuel !!!!!

My friend purchased a used 96 LT4. The first day he had it last night we got stranded on the side of the highway at 430am because his fuel level read 3 bars and we ran out of fuel.

I've removed the pump on my car so I'm sort of familiar with it. I wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem or if the fix is simple. is the float at fault and not reading properly at low fuel levels?

I have the service history on the car and the pump was replaced before. I started to guess perhaps the morrons at gm bend the level sender when reinstalling the pump?

Any input would greatly help !!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This is very common among alot of GM cars...the gas gauge shows a bit more then it dies out,being out of gas.I had 4 GM cars the last 10 years that once it got under a 1/4 of a tank,I never knew if it was dry or actually had some gas left.A few times,the sender was FINE,nothing bent,broken,twisted or missing.Myself,the dealer or any tech didnt know why and wanted to "parts change" new stuff to "See" if it fixed it.No thanks!

If you decide to take the sender out,see whassup if you can spot something wrong.If not,then just make it a habit to keep the tank above a 1/4 all the time.Low gas leads to shorten pump life anyways,so having cool gas in the tank above a 1/4 all the time is ideal.Tell your buddy that too,no matter what car is driven.The pumps use the gas to stay cool in there.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:23 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

We all seem to have a similar issue...once your tank reads half way start keeping your eyes out for a station, it will drop fast. Just the way these things are.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

He's gone to the MTL grand prix with it but when he gets back Im going to pull it out. Ill post any findings for sure. Kinda feel bad cuz everything else about the car was so perfect but i guess theres always something. My 93 has the same mileage and my guage is accurate to the dime. I can even drive till the last bar dissapears and still make it to a gas station without problems.

Earlier today I spoke to him after his trek to Montreal, he filled up and 590 km later he put in 50 L of gas. That's aboout 30% fuel left and his guage still read 2 bars above half. Seems fairly close the way the gm cars do drop after the half mark.

Anyone ever look at the float unit carefully? I sort of remember what it looks like and I'm sure theres a way to bend it to make it read right. we'll find out soon enough...
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

At 1/2 a tank I have 50 miles left before Im in trouble. Its maddening...Both my 85 and 88 had fairly accurate fuel gauges...the one in my LT4 is a joke.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:03 PM
edoad
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 85. Read 2 bars below 1/2 and almost had to walk. I have noticed that someone has tried to jack it buy the gas tank. I'm sure this dos'nt help but I got 18.45 Gl in it with the near 1/2 indication.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:07 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pryderei
My friend purchased a used 96 LT4. The first day he had it last night we got stranded on the side of the highway at 430am because his fuel level read 3 bars and we ran out of fuel.

I've removed the pump on my car so I'm sort of familiar with it. I wanted to ask if anyone has had this problem or if the fix is simple. is the float at fault and not reading properly at low fuel levels?

I have the service history on the car and the pump was replaced before. I started to guess perhaps the morrons at gm bend the level sender when reinstalling the pump?

Any input would greatly help !!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=277&TopicID=2

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 fuel level reads low.. Ran out of fuel !!!!!

Quick Reply: LT4 fuel level reads low.. Ran out of fuel !!!!!