C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear Supsension-Torque sequence-Need input

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Supsension-Torque sequence-Need input

Ok here is the run down:

The entire rear suspension has been swapped out on my 86, so that means everything needs to be torqued to specs, not only ft lbs but trim height also ( the Helms show a foot note for the control arms, shocks, and camber rods - the foot note puts me in the trim height specs section)

The trim height section specifies + - 6.4 mm bolt to bolt on the camber rods for all the prev mentioned items, but it also has to be torqued with the wheels on the ground and the the suspension has to be exercised a bit before the torque sequence.

Enough of that for now -

How the hell do I get the car off the jack stands with all of these items essentially loose waiting for torquing, and how am I to get under the car to do this with out a drive-on lift? Can I put the car on ramps and get 'er done that way? Should I take it to the alignment shop and have them set it up per the factory specs? if so, how do I get the car there with the suspension un-torqued?

How have the guys/gals that did bushing installs get through this, or didnt they read what I have?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't trust the suspension shop to nut and bolt it. If you do, double check every one. I nomall snug up everything with the car on ramps. Then I drive it around the block to settle the suspention, and final torque everything while on ramps.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to track down some ramps

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Supsension-Torque sequence-Need input

Quick Reply: Rear Supsension-Torque sequence-Need input