C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

chirp and ping coming from rear of engine compartment....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:59 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chirp and ping coming from rear of engine compartment....

Ok, so I got in my 96 lt4/hot cam 6sp to come home from work today. When I started the car I heard a little noise. Sounded almost like a belt squelch. As I continued home and listened to this new, disturbing sound, I was almost sure that one of the idler/tensioner pulleys was acting up. The noise seems to oscilate with engine rpm, and is very apparent when shifting. when I got home I popped the hood and gave a quick visual inspection of the belt and noticed the sound was definitely not coming from the front of the engine. A mechanics stethoscope revealed nothing coming from the engine/valve train and my ear tells me it is coming from the firewall area. the sound is also very obvious when laying on the floor. At idle it comes and goes, chirping and pinging occasionaly...pinging meaning more of a rattle no deep knock or anything like that. The car has 80k and has never made a noise like this before. It seems very loud as I can hear the sound reflecting off of traffic as I pass them.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
trackman44
Instructor

The flywheel teeth are grinding against the inside of the bell-housing. That's why you hear pinging and grinding noises. Have your mechanic check clearences between flywheel teeth and bell-housing. Also have him check thrust bearing play ( could be grinding against clutch fingers).
Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

I don't think that's it. There is no "grinding" i.e. flywheel teeth against anything. I mean, maybe, but I have been involved with mechanical type stuff for most of my life and I can pretty much imagine what that would sound like and this isn't that sound.

Besides, how could the flywheel all of a sudden start having clearance issues with the bellhousing?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

Never mind.

Last edited by Chatman; 09-08-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Sorry about the error.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

I had a similar problem on an S10 with a T5 manual transmission. On this it was the input shaft. Started out as a squeal then it would rake second gear even if I double clutched it. and as trackman says it could be something with the thrust (throwout) bearing in your clutch. Doe the sound go away when the clutch is engaged?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:44 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

nope. the sound is there engaged/disengaged. what kind of sounds does the dm flywheel make when it fails.....?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:39 AM
bent
Burning Brakes

guess I'll have to get out the jack stands and have a look
Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 AM
shop14
Instructor

that sound your talking about is something i went through with my 95 lt1. chirping and sometimes sounding like a tick.took a while to figure out,turned out to be a bad lifter roller.the roller actually stopped spinning causing this weird chirping sound. i got lucky,no cam damage.
it always sounded like it was on the driver side rear.turned out to be on the passenger side front #6 piston exhaust side lifter. good luck
Old 09-09-2007, 08:07 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps a dry/failing throw out bearing?

Does if make the same noise with the clutch depressed as when not?

Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 PM
wtn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engle1147
Perhaps a dry/failing throw out bearing?

Does if make the same noise with the clutch depressed as when not?

I hate to say this, but the sound you describe is exactly what my '95 LT1 sounded like when the #8 rod bearing went. I hope I am wrong.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

eek ya'll are starting to scare me. I know that sound travels in weird ways in vehicles but I didn't hear anything at all that sounded out of place when using the stethoscope. I didn't probe the oil pan at all so I will do that and some other listening before I tear into anything. I am wondering now about the lifter problem.....when I changed the valve springs I found a wear mark on the rocker arm where it had gotten on top of the valve...not too bad as it was aligned when we pulled the valve covers. It would be much easier to pull the intake versus the tranny....
Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 AM
ineVETTEable
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot bearing??

I've had them cherp and squeek.

Last edited by ineVETTEable; 09-10-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

I had a friend come over today and work the throttle while I crawled around under the car and the noise is definately coming from the top of motor. It really seems like it is going to be valve-train related. I am pulling the intake right now. stay tuned...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

update. intake pulled, valvetrain removed. didn't find any obvious damage. all rollers fuctioning smoothly. I will now commence in beating my head against the nearest wall.

Well I am a bit disapointed but I will go ahead and order a new set of lifters and reassemble everything. If the noise still exists, then I will have an excuse for a stroker.

I know it seems like I'm jumping the gun a bit but I have been planning this for a while. I will just order a golen engine instead of taking the time to do it myself. This car is my daily driver so I need as little down time as possible.

I know that it might be possible for this to be tranny related but I feel strongly that if it was then the noise would be very obvious while under the car and it isn't. While under there this afternoon I literally pressed my ear against the bell housing and heard nothing.

any ideas?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 AM
trackman44
Instructor

The only thing i can think of is crank shaft or cam shaft end play is non existant thus chirping against end cap walls or main bearing walls. Same goes for cam bearings. Other possibility is exhaust leakage thru header flanges. I would give a sharp blow to the ends of the shafts with a rubber mallet to get your end play back.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
bent
Burning Brakes

thanks for the reply. Your idea sounds reasonable. However, If I have to tear things down that far then the engine is coming out and not going back in. It is only 80,000 miles but has had little problems ever since I got it. If the new lifters don't fix the noise, then It's going to be stroker time. while everything is apart, I will replace clutch,flywheel, etc....maybe going as far as a new trans, The zf has a front seal leak, trouble going into 3rd sometimes, popping out of reverse, and I would be leary of putting a 520hp crate motor in front of it. If I hadn't already been planning all of this then I'm sure my actions would seem absolutly crazy. The only thing that has really changed is the timeframe in which I thought I had to work.

Get notified of new replies

To chirp and ping coming from rear of engine compartment....

Quick Reply: chirp and ping coming from rear of engine compartment....