C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Erratic timing and idle only with EST connected.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:18 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

So acratch away!

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
The 86 posted above doesn't have any, although there's one hole I can't see in the photos.
WHAT "86 posted above"???

If the pin weight was to balance the damper, then the book shouldn't ask you to switch it to the new one.
??? The question is... Why does one book say to change the weight, while another doesn't, with the same damper???

You got the parts manual if you're so inclined to check. I'd rather scratch myself.
I checked, if you read the above post. It says the 1984 - 1991 C4s all take the same damper.

RACE ON!!!

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 07-01-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
WHAT "86 posted above"???
The 86 damper pics posted by 86PACER that started this thread, you blockhead.

??? The question is... Why does one book say to change the weight, while another doesn't, with the same damper???
My 85 manual says nothing about any pins or reusing them. If the later manual does, with the same part, I would consider that superceding information if any early cars do have pins.

But I suppose GM saw a need to put pin weights in them at some point later on. Perhaps none of the early cars have pins to begin with, so the pin swapping doesn't apply.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:05 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that explains the whole problem. That isn't a misprint, it
is referencing the one, ODD damper that takes weights.
In context to the sentence I thought they were trying to say to: remove the weight from the "old" damper not the odd damper....if the spelling is correct (odd), are we to believe they were balancing each damper individually and some were just that out, or was it done as a complete rotating assembly? I think I'm going to try and get this one thrown on a balancer and find out.
I have never come across anything like that before. I had written a different response assigning the difference to the 1986 and up dampers. Then as a double check, I looked up the dampers in my Corvette parts books. Contrary to my previous statement, all Gen I engines in all year C4s take the same damper. I appreciate the scan of the FSM. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it. This is a mystery to me. If the dampers were different I would write it off as just one more fact unknown to me, but the two different treatments in the FSM over the, supposedly same, damper has me totally confused.
I knew you were from the "show me state" that's why I posted the FSM pic. However , when I did look through parts numbers they did show they were all the same, that's why I originally posted the info.
As to Central Coasters comment, It would appear that a logical answer maybe that GM discontinued the added weight for a dynamic balance, through simply removing weight in the "heavy" spot to balance it. The damper 86 pacer showed, has an additional hole in it than my original..........so who really knows what the hail is going on here???

Last edited by mseven; 07-01-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old damper has no weights. New damper has no weights. New damper's instructions say nothing about weights, nor does my '86 shop manual. The only thing the new damper came with was a new woodruff key.

Autozone has both the puller and install tool. Damper is in. All is well.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 86PACER
Old damper has no weights. New damper has no weights. New damper's instructions say nothing about weights, nor does my '86 shop manual. The only thing the new damper came with was a new woodruff key.
Actually your new damper comes with a blind hole drilled in the back of it, probably for balancing.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

The 86 damper pics posted by 86PACER that started this thread, you blockhead.
Why didn't you just say that the first time. 86PACER's pix were three pages back. The damper "posted above" was mseven's, 1990 damper.

But I suppose GM saw a need to put pin weights in them at some point later on. Perhaps none of the early cars have pins to begin with, so the pin swapping doesn't apply.
I don't think any of the earlier cars have balance weight pins. If GM changed the part to include the pins, I would expect they would have changed the part number.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 06:54 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by mseven
In context to the sentence I thought they were trying to say to: remove the weight from the "old" damper not the odd damper....if the spelling is correct (odd), are we to believe they were balancing each damper individually and some were just that out, or was it done as a complete rotating assembly?
That opening 2 sentence paragraph of mine you are referring to was written, tongue in cheek. It was supposed to be humorous. That is why I began the next paragraph with "Seriously, ".

It would appear that a logical answer maybe that GM discontinued the added weight for a dynamic balance, through simply removing weight in the "heavy" spot to balance it. The damper 86 pacer showed, has an additional hole in it than my original..........so who really knows what the hail is going on here???
They didn't discontinue the weight, because it wasn't mentioned in the 1984, 1985, or 1986 FSMs that have been reported on, nor does it appear they exist in those cars. Your 1990 FSM is the only book we know of that mentions the weight. Therefore, rather than being deleted, it would have been added. Again, I have to wonder, if it was added, why didn't the damper part number change? Can we get reports from the owners of 1987, 1988, and 1989 FSM? How about from a 1991 FSM?

..........so who really knows what the hail is going on here???
Good question. I, for one, would really like to know.

Mick, Your damper should be neutral balanced, with the weight. Why is yours off, available for pictures? If your outer ring has spun, checking the balance won't work.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 07:23 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

That opening 2 sentence paragraph of mine you are referring to was written, tongue in cheek. It was supposed to be humorous. That is why I began the next paragraph with "Seriously, ".!
oops ....
Mick, Your damper should be neutral balanced, with the weight. Why is yours off, available for pictures? If your outer ring has spun, checking the balance won't work.RACE ON!!!
Actually when I went through mine I put a new damper on (w/new weight). At the time the new damper from GM looked exactly the same, I did this because I had read so many issues w/dampers that I figured I'd start w/everytrhing fresh. I was considering looking at balance between one w/weight and one w/out to see if one or both is truely nuetral or?? may shed some light on this a bit more. I think a freind of mine who does rotating ***. might be able to check it...actually the new one is off too
http://i7.tinypic.com/6cwsgzs.jpg

Last edited by mseven; 07-01-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Why didn't you just say that the first time. 86PACER's pix were three pages back. The damper "posted above" was mseven's, 1990 damper.
Because I am omnipresent, (like Jesus), I see all pages at the same time. For the rest of you mortals, you can also set your default to view more posts per page.

I don't think any of the earlier cars have balance weight pins. If GM changed the part to include the pins, I would expect they would have changed the part number.
Why should it? The part didn't change. A seperate part was added to it. This is why the manual says to transfer the weight over to the replacement item. Now if it came with the weight installed, it should be a different p/n than the ones without.

But with all that said, I'm 99% sure that it was just a renegade engineer on the chopping block that decided to make his legacy by added that little weight to aggravate purists and techies.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:07 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

I'm 99% sure that it was just a renegade engineer on the chopping block that decided to make his legacy by added that little weight to aggravate purists and techies.
well you may be correct, and for others following this thread and comments, here ya go.....as it turns out I had two different dampers put on a balancer today at a reputable machine shop that I know. The results were that the one w/the weight was very close to neutral balance (as CFI stated they all should be) the operater told me it was so close it wouldn't be worth "dinking" it. In addition it would take about 3 pin weights that size to throw out the balance. The other was a new OEM one I have for the car and w/out any weight added was at neutral balance....so it appears that GM does have a sadistic sense of humor...but I guess anyone with a vette knows that.

Last edited by mseven; 07-03-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Erratic timing and idle only with EST connected.