C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Should there be any play in the distributor rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Should there be any play in the distributor rotor?

I have a dual sync distributor in my car and when I popped the cap off the rotor moves say 5-8 mm or so. It feels like quite a bit.

I'm trying to chase a condition where I'm at steady throttle the a/f ration is bouncing around considerably. Since under steady acceleration the a/f stays pretty steady I'm starting to think that at steady throttle the distributor play is causing the timing to change because the motor is accel/deccelerating naturally with its firing.

How much should a rotor move under the cap?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

5-8 mm is an insane amount! If I remember correctly the end play should be .006-.010, I shimmed mine when I had it out. I used two of the thinner shims in the kit from Jegs. Mine had to much play and it is set correctly now. For the stocker you just tap out the roll pin and add the shim/gasket under the gear. Easy! I did this two years ago, everything has been fine.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:39 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

I'm not getting the shim thing. When i grab the rotor with my hand i can rotate it 5-8mm counter/clockwise.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Pryderei
I'm not getting the shim thing. When i grab the rotor with my hand i can rotate it 5-8mm counter/clockwise.
Ahh, I thought you ment up and down end play! Yes there is some side to side, I have not measured though. So, TTT.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a dual sync distributor in my car and when I popped the cap off the rotor moves say 5-8 mm or so. It feels like quite a bit.

I'm trying to chase a condition where I'm at steady throttle the a/f ration is bouncing around considerably. Since under steady acceleration the a/f stays pretty steady I'm starting to think that at steady throttle the distributor play is causing the timing to change because the motor is accel/deccelerating naturally with its firing.

How much should a rotor move under the cap?
5-8mm is too much. What combination of cam gear / distributor gear materials are you running? It may be an issue of serious gear wear.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:33 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default play

If you have that much, remove the distributor, and check for a serious wear pattern on the cam gear
Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

It just didn't feel right. Sorry about the shim thing I sort of figured you were talking about something different than what I was. The distributor is an accel dual sync. I believe the gear is a blackish metal. The cam I am running is a solid roller. I have no idea about what type of gear I should be using although I have read about the different materials.

I will be calling Accel tommorow to see what they have to say. I'm going to make them send me a new revised unit before I get stranded again 200 miles from home because of a faulty distributor.

Perhaps the gear wear is the reason like mr 6spd said. I do spin the motor pretty high but lately I have not save a few times doing some wot datalogs. I have about 1200 km of daily driving on this distributor. Can a wrong combo of materials wear it that fast?

Last edited by 5abivt; 06-25-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The distributor is an accel dual sync. I believe the gear is a blackish metal. The cam I am running is a solid roller.
Yep, that's your problem right there. The gear on the billet solid roller cam (unless it has a pressed-on iron gear) is not compatible with the standard distributor gear.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

I purchased an Accel Dual Sync distributor for my RamJet 502 awhile back. I am in the process of dumping the MEFI 3. After taking a close look at the design, I have a few reservations. The rotor is held in place by two 5/64 allen screws use to lock it down after competing the Rotor phasing part of the alignment process. Looks like a pretty flimsy way to secure something so important.

Bullshark

Get notified of new replies

To Should there be any play in the distributor rotor?

Quick Reply: Should there be any play in the distributor rotor?