C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

custom chipped tpi ecu to run big block?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM
86VX1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default custom chipped tpi ecu to run big block?

i was wondering if a custom chipped ecu with bigger injectors for more fuel and a 58mm t-body can be made to run on a big block 496? assuming of course a custom intake.

how will the computer know that it's a big block underneath, aside from the fact that the engine will require more fuel, what else needs to be done to make this happen? the distributor from a tpi car drops right into place, knock sensor is easily attached, i mean what else?

any ideas?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
drive it
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 86VX1
i was wondering if a custom chipped ecu with bigger injectors for more fuel and a 58mm t-body can be made to run on a big block 496? assuming of course a custom intake.

how will the computer know that it's a big block underneath, aside from the fact that the engine will require more fuel, what else needs to be done to make this happen? the distributor from a tpi car drops right into place, knock sensor is easily attached, i mean what else?

any ideas?
What year? maf or speed density?
Lottsa folk have run a larger engine on the stock ecm, but it does take a good amt of tuning in the prom's program.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

any ideas?
You can use either the Corvette 1227727 or the F body 1227730 ECM and use a Super 8D chip file to run your big block. I have use that file to run two 502 RamJet big blocks in street rod applications with good results. Much better than the GM supplied MEFI controller. All of the sensors that are used on the standard TPI will work on the big block, and the distributor will work fine, its actually easier to use the F body unit with the remote coil as this gives more room at the rear of the engine.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 AM
86VX1
Drifting

Originally Posted by drive it
What year? maf or speed density?
Lottsa folk have run a larger engine on the stock ecm, but it does take a good amt of tuning in the prom's program.
probably a speed density system
Old 06-28-2007, 01:32 AM
86VX1
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjwong
You can use either the Corvette 1227727 or the F body 1227730 ECM and use a Super 8D chip file to run your big block. I have use that file to run two 502 RamJet big blocks in street rod applications with good results. Much better than the GM supplied MEFI controller. All of the sensors that are used on the standard TPI will work on the big block, and the distributor will work fine, its actually easier to use the F body unit with the remote coil as this gives more room at the rear of the engine.
wow, good to hear. this big block is already in my jeep with a quadrajet right now. i ran into a tpi car at pick a part and wondered the possibility of retrofitting this system into my jeep. let the parts collecting begin.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:56 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

wow, good to hear. this big block is already in my jeep with a quadrajet right now. i ran into a tpi car at pick a part and wondered the possibility of retrofitting this system into my jeep. let the parts collecting begin.
You can get a GM Performance Parts 502 Ramjet intake manifold kit that has all the injectors and fuel rails in place. And if you want you can get their RamJet wiring harness and I can program a MEFI EFI controller for the engine. Or you can just use the 730 ECM with a custom harness and have it locally dyno tuned.

Get notified of new replies

To custom chipped tpi ecu to run big block?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: custom chipped tpi ecu to run big block?