C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try speed bleeders, they make the job alot easier. It is also recommended the brakes be bled in a certain order, first starting with the brake furthest away from the unit. I believe that it goes: r/f, l/f, r/r, l/r
Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 89 Bob L
Try speed bleeders, they make the job alot easier. It is also recommended the brakes be bled in a certain order, first starting with the brake furthest away from the unit. I believe that it goes: r/f, l/f, r/r, l/r
RR,LR,RF,LF.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

Inaddition to the speed bleeders! Just remember no pedal until you close the bleeder and watch your fluid levels. Anyway I read on here of someone starting their car to let the booster help with the bleeding- I did this and it made for a guick job- actually I used a piece of 2X4 to reach the pedal as I did not want to get my interior dirty
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

Forgot something - did you check the rod coming out of the booster and make sure it was adjusted properly to the new M/C. On another car I had a rod not release all the way (just hyd. brakes no power) And it took me a while cause I got front brakes but not back -My M/C was not getting the proper stroke . Once I got that corrected I could stop on a dime
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your Booster has a problem. The vacuum line may have fallen off during all the activity. Sounds like the wall you describe is the part where the booster would kick in and assist.

Out on a limb but it is the only thing I could think of.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I think your Booster has a problem. The vacuum line may have fallen off during all the activity. Sounds like the wall you describe is the part where the booster would kick in and assist.

The booster line seems fine. I'm thinking the wall is normal (considering I cannot push further with two feet), but what leads up to it should do more work.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 AM
staugur
Drifting

Originally Posted by jhammons01

nooooooo.The booster is only an assist.It's a big black vacuum bag with a rod sticking out of it. You don't need to know what it does other than the fact that it applies more pressure to the master cylinder than you can with your little footies.
Before power brakes everything was designed to stop within a certain distance.At least in Britain.
American women were not prepared to develop the musculature to operate these antique systems so three husbands working for GM stole the VABS(vacuum assist brake system) from the ROYAL AIR FORCE .Even though they were subsequently annihilated by the SAS.Luckily we still have total control over a new "DISC" brake system which we are prepared to swap for decent waterfront property on the Gulf coast.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM
trackman44
Instructor

Default You need vacuum canister

Install an after market vacuum canister for the brake booster and this will solve your problems. A lopy idle cam does not have enough vacuum for the brake booster to function properly. Or better yet swap out the cam for a high vacuum at low idle set up, then your problems will be solved.

Quick Reply: Brake help needed...