C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Whats required to go Carbed on a 96?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rap87
Well as to the value I've already put about 15k into the car it still isn't running. Then another 5k after I bought it and it still isn't running. Then the interest on the loan, plus this frustration. The only value I'm going to get with this car is enjoying it once its working, not selling it. I'm seeing carbed long block sbc 350s making over 350 h/p for about $1500. Cut the hood make a hood scoop...whats left, the automatic trans wouldn't bolt up to a sbc?

The search didn't bring up anything when I clicked the link, and I usually do search, last time I found a few things on it, but not many threads from guys who did it and liked it, or did it and explained how.
You are just not listening to anyone.
MODS don't close this it's not an enthnic slur.
Ever hear about jewish lightning?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Well in all my other threads, we seemed to have figured its a cracked block and it needs to come out. Cheapest rebuild I've been quoted over the phone is about $2500.
Here ya go!

Gotta take the whole car, but what the heck it's got a rebuilt LT1.

Bet you can get it for a lot less than is being asked.

Found This one too..for $1200.

High mileage(118,000) but if you could get it for a grand you'd have your block, and then some..

Last edited by Keystring; 07-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
staugur
Drifting

Well as to the value I've already put about 15k into the car it still isn't running. Then another 5k after I bought it and it still isn't running. Then the interest on the loan, plus this frustration. The only value I'm going to get with this car is enjoying it once its working, not selling it. I'm seeing carbed long block sbc 350s making over 350 h/p for about $1500. Cut the hood make a hood scoop...whats left, the automatic trans wouldn't bolt up to a sbc?

The search didn't bring up anything when I clicked the link, and I usually do search, last time I found a few things on it, but not many threads from guys who did it and liked it, or did it and explained how.
I TOLD YOU A COUPLE OF WEEKS BACK WHAT TO DO.How can people be so dumb unless of course this is a wind up.Having seen the pix I tend to believe you. A dealer-with a motor traders license I presume,sold you a vehicle with emmissions devices removed.
FEDERAL OFFENCE>

If everything you have said is true just go get your money back.
You are lining your self up for five years of **** assuming you are telling the truth.
Why don't you listen to people that have been there thousands of times before?
If you want to persevere good luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by staugur
I TOLD YOU A COUPLE OF WEEKS BACK WHAT TO DO.How can people be so dumb unless of course this is a wind up.Having seen the pix I tend to believe you. A dealer-with a motor traders license I presume,sold you a vehicle with emmissions devices removed.
FEDERAL OFFENCE>

You are lining your self up for five years of **** assuming you are telling the truth.
if nothing else, you have defined "idiot."
Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 AM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True. Oh so true.

Originally Posted by bogus
if nothing else, you have defined "idiot."
No kidding

Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 AM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

before you totally ruin this 96, place a call to Jason at www.vette2vette.com.

Putting a carb on that car will cause nothing but a hornets nest of problems. You have no idea what you are getting into. Engine controllers, CCM, brakes/asr... you name it. It would be easier to transplant your heart with a baboons.

Whatever you do, forget you even asked about this. it's beyond foolish.
Brother,Don't do this! used LT-1's can be picked up out of a wrecked z28,Trans am Or Imp.SS for a good price.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:53 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hay come on guy's its his car!! But before you hack up the car I will trade you for my 94 LT1 .
If you realy want a carbed corvette, I will sell you my other one 86.
Both cars are in my sig
If you need an LT1 with forged pistons,rods and crank and nitrous cam in it ,hydrolic I will sell you mine.If you just need a LT1 block with splade main caps all you have to do is pay shipping and the block is yours ,it does need a line bore.
I am not against you, I just hate to see the car cut up.
Resale value aside,it just makes no sense you will have 20k in the car putting a carbed engine in it to get it the way you want.Put it all down on paper and figure it all out ,don't make rash decissions.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Lemme see, $15000 + $5000 + 1500+ = $3500. Yeah I'd say fubar about covers it!
By the way, if you can figure out how to make that car (OBD2) pass emissions with a carb, write a book and you'll be able to retire. What do carbs and cracked blocks have in common, (hint, NOTHING!) Sell the car for $5000 and consider yourself at least $1500 ahead! Seriously! I'm really not trying to be mean.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

PM kopbet89c4, he should be able to help with this project!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Why?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 AM
rap87
Racer

Originally Posted by staugur
FEDERAL OFFENCE>

I have defiantly been listening and weighing my options. I talked to a lawyer, he told me they would claim it had the smog on it, and that the state I bought it from didn't have anything in particular protecting me from used car sales. Also, if I did bring them to court over it I would have to go to IL, which I don't have the money to do...I just want a moving vette, just seems its going to take alot longer than I hoped. I just saw a new carbed 350 in the paper for 500 bucks...thats the only reason why the idea popped in my head. Seems to be a bad idea though...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 AM
Arcticwhite93
Heel & Toe

Oh and will any LT1 do, would a camaro LT1 work? and if so any diffs in performance.

Also this is why I was even thinking to about a carb or cutting the hood...I mean even if you don't like carbs...is that f'in cool or what....

If you like and want it to look like this car save your self some cash and a bunch of misery get a junk yard efi engine get the thing running find a blown up blower and carbs and bolt them to your hood presto your mad max.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 AM
rap87
Racer

Originally Posted by old stingray
Brother,Don't do this! used LT-1's can be picked up out of a wrecked z28,Trans am Or Imp.SS for a good price.
So, anything that says LT1 out of a camaro etc etc. I can use? Is the only diff in a vette LT1 accessory placement or?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
rap87
Racer

Originally Posted by Arcticwhite93
If you like and want it to look like this car save your self some cash and a bunch of misery get a junk yard efi engine get the thing running find a blown up blower and carbs and bolt them to your hood presto your mad max.
Very funny....Very funny....got a kick out of that one did you..... ....rofl I did to, but you gotta admit, I think that looks cool.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
rap87
Racer

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Hay come on guy's its his car!! But before you hack up the car I will trade you for my 94 LT1 .
If you realy want a carbed corvette, I will sell you my other one 86.
Both cars are in my sig
If you need an LT1 with forged pistons,rods and crank and nitrous cam in it ,hydrolic I will sell you mine.If you just need a LT1 block with splade main caps all you have to do is pay shipping and the block is yours ,it does need a line bore.
I am not against you, I just hate to see the car cut up.
Resale value aside,it just makes no sense you will have 20k in the car putting a carbed engine in it to get it the way you want.Put it all down on paper and figure it all out ,don't make rash decissions.
Well, cars still isn't paid for, and while the only problem is the engine, I bet your cars interior looks better than mine. It does seem that my assumption that this would cost less is way out of the ball park it seems. Your cars wouldn't happen to be manuals one they? , dreaming I think
Old 07-11-2007, 08:10 AM
rap87
Racer

before you totally ruin this 96, place a call to Jason at www.vette2vette.com.

Putting a carb on that car will cause nothing but a hornets nest of problems. You have no idea what you are getting into. Engine controllers, CCM, brakes/asr... you name it. It would be easier to transplant your heart with a baboons.

Whatever you do, forget you even asked about this. it's beyond foolish.
I'll look him up, had any experience with him? Thanks for the link.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:48 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, anything that says LT1 out of a camaro etc etc. I can use? Is the only diff in a vette LT1 accessory placement or?
You'll need to reuse the damper and timing cover from your '96 (OBDII crank sensor and pickup for one, and the damper is different between Camaro and Corvette). The fuel rail will have to be swapped over, as will the ICM, accessory drive, etc., but the long blocks are basically the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats required to go Carbed on a 96?

Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

In retrospect, my OP was probably poorly written, but the point is, it sounds like you are in way over you're head on this, and the fix is probably more expensive than starting over. In economics, they call the concept "sunk costs"; what you've spent is largely irrelevent to future expenditure decisions. From what you describe, the car sounds like a $10k-$12k car running correctly, and unless you do all of your own work, it will probably cost that much to get it there. JMO, but I've re-built these kind of cars for twenty years. Good luck.

Last edited by zr1fred; 07-11-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:12 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Then, again, there's always this option:

Straight out of my 96 LT1 and runs great. Just swap over your sensors, etc. and drop it in. A full listing of what comes with it is posted on the Parts For Sale board.

JAKE

Last edited by JAKE; 07-11-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM
rap87
Racer

I'll check it out Jake, if I can sell at least maybe my heads I'll take it. I'll check your post for how many miles on it and such.

Also what do you guys think of these 383 specs I found on ebay for sale.

383 Long Block $2795.00
400hp @5500 rpm and 420 FtLbs of TQ @3700 rpm

GM 4 Bolt Main 1 Piece Rear Seal
New Nodular Iron 3.750 Stroke Crankshaft
New 5140 Forged I-Beam w/ARP Bolts and silicon bronze bushings (connecting rods)
KB FHR aluminum, full floating pins (pistons)
Child sand Albert performance plasma moly Piston Rings
.250 True roller with heat treated cam gear and billet steel crank gear, Timing Set.
Comp Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Camshaft
Valves are Comp Cams 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust polished stainless
Isky dual spring w/steel retainer and HP 7 degree locks, Valve springs
Rocker Arms are RPS stainless steel full roller rocker with needle bearing fulcrom
Pioneer 8: external Balance Damper
Flexplate is a 168T External Balance

*Needs Oil pan, timing cover, and intake.*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats required to go Carbed on a 96?