C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

2 quick fuel quiestions on L-98 Need answer soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 quick fuel quiestions on L-98 Need answer soon

I just need these two quiestions answered quickly please. Cold start injector. It is shot. It's in front of the throttle body correct? Would this make the car not start? It's been sitting for a day and now it cranks over but its not getting fuel. Second, I have spark, I took off a plug wire put a drill bit in it and put it on a piece of metal so it works. Plugs are all checked and in working order. Distributor pieces are all fine. Problem though. Is the fuel pump suppose to come on when you turn the key to the on position. Not start it but just on? If it does, mine is not making a sound. Yes, I do have half a tank of 93 octane in the car. I let the car get down to the 1 bar on the reserve tank, then filled it up half way. Is it possible the fuel filter is clogged? I always use premium gas so I don't think any dirt would get in there. Napa has a fuel pump and sock for 85 dollars in stock. If it's the fuel pump, then I can go ahead and get that. Im really leaning towards the cold start injector though. One thing, we checked all the injectors too. Looked everything else over while tinkering under the hood. It could be fuel pressure correct? If you guys say to, I can go get a gauge and check it. What does it need to be? Thanks, any informatioin is appreciated. Guess I am headed back out to the car now.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Cobra Killer~
I just need these two quiestions answered quickly please. Cold start injector. It is shot. It's in front of the throttle body correct? Would this make the car not start?
***NO, JUST HARDER TO START IN COLD WEATHER

It's been sitting for a day and now it cranks over but its not getting fuel.
***HAVE YOU ATTACHED A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO THE RAIL SHRADER VALVE?

Second, I have spark, I took off a plug wire put a drill bit in it and put it on a piece of metal so it works. Plugs are all checked and in working order. Distributor pieces are all fine. Problem though.

Is the fuel pump suppose to come on when you turn the key to the on position.
***YES, THERE IS A 2 SECOND PRIME. THERE IS FUEL PUMP RELAY ON THE FIREWALL BEHIND/NEAR THE BATTERY. THAT ENGAGES WHEN YOU TURN ON THE KEY AND IS BACKED UP BY THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH/SENDER BEHIND THE DISTRIBUTOR.

Not start it but just on?
***WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY TO ON, YOU'D BETTER HAVE 35+ - 45LBS OF FUEL PRESSURE AT THE RAILS.

If it does, mine is not making a sound. Yes, I do have half a tank of 93 octane in the car. I let the car get down to the 1 bar on the reserve tank, then filled it up half way.
***NOT AN ISSUE AS LONG AS TANK OVER 1/4 FILLED

Is it possible the fuel filter is clogged?
***IT IS POSSIBLE

I always use premium gas so I don't think any dirt would get in there.
***NOT RELEVANT AS THE OCTANE OF THE GAS DOES NOT PRECLUDE ANY CONTAMINANTS EITHER IN THE GAS OR DROPPING INTO THE TANK ON FILL-UP.

Napa has a fuel pump and sock for 85 dollars in stock. If it's the fuel pump, then I can go ahead and get that.

Im really leaning towards the cold start injector though.
***MOST LIKELY NOT THAT.

One thing, we checked all the injectors too. Looked everything else over while tinkering under the hood.

It could be fuel pressure correct?
**SEE MY PREVIOUS POST - IF NO OR INCORRECT PRESSURE, CAR WON'T START.

If you guys say to, I can go get a gauge and check it.
***YES YES!...GET A GAUGE AND CK FUEL PRESSURE WITH KEY "ON"!

What does it need to be? Thanks, any informatioin is appreciated. Guess I am headed back out to the car now.
***SEE ABOVE RESPONSE IN CAPS..
***this is assuming you have a late 80's vehicle. ya need to post that info in your post or in your profile so that you don't get incorrect information!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To engage the Fuel Pump - connect a fused (+) lead to terminal G - (of the computer diagnostic port on drivers side just above the hush panel/gas pedal area) and apply +12vdc. This will cut the fuel pump on. This is a good thing to do when checking out a vehicle for purchase, since you need to check the codes anyway. This verifies that the pump is in working order.

Last edited by Da Mail Man; 07-13-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:55 AM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

Appreciate it. I used a paperclip. It made no sound. Guess, its the relay or the pump but I will check the pressure once I look around for a bit longer. Ill post back what I find.

Last edited by ~Cobra Killer~; 07-13-2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Appreciate it. I a paperclip.
What does that mean? As Da Mail Man said, to test the fuel pump you have to apply 12 volt power to terminal "G" of the ALDL. Regardless of whatever the above is saying, you can't do that with just a paper clip. Also, you could run a wire with 12 volts back to the fuel pump connector at the tank. HERE, is another post I made earlier this morning that may be of help.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
What does that mean? As Da Mail Man said, to test the fuel pump you have to apply 12 volt power to terminal "G" of the ALDL. Regardless of whatever the above is saying, you can't do that with just a paper clip. Also, you could run a wire with 12 volts back to the fuel pump connector at the tank. HERE, is another post I made earlier this morning that may be of help.

RACE ON!!!
.....would be nice if he posted the year of his car to the post or in his profile.....
Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

Thanks guys. Ive been taking a break. I bought the gauge from autozone earlier. I have a voltometer here. How do I give it 12 volts? With a small battery? Voltometer? Sorry but I don't mess with wires. Ill post back later tonight what I find out. I am going to replace the fuel filter. The gas was down to the reserve bar and I suppose it couldve picked something up. I will do that first though before I check anything else because it is a must. I really appreciate the help. If there is something I can do to return the favor let me know. CFI, appreciate the link alot.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Thanks guys. Ive been taking a break. I bought the gauge from autozone earlier. I have a voltometer here. How do I give it 12 volts? With a small battery? Voltometer? Sorry but I don't mess with wires. Ill post back later tonight what I find out. I am going to replace the fuel filter. The gas was down to the reserve bar and I suppose it couldve picked something up. I will do that first though before I check anything else because it is a must. I really appreciate the help. If there is something I can do to return the favor let me know. CFI, appreciate the link alot.
.....geez!.... WHAT is the YEAR of your car!....HOW do you get from 1/2 tank in your initial posting to almost empty if the car doesn't start?.....time for dinner, bye.....
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The year of your car would help a lot but to my knowledge only the early L98s had the cold start injector and it is not in the front of your intake, it's on the driver side between the intake runners. Nonetheless it is not your problem.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
.....geez!.... WHAT is the YEAR of your car!....HOW do you get from 1/2 tank in your initial posting to almost empty if the car doesn't start?.....time for dinner, bye.....
Look in my profile. I put it in there. Sjeez. I got a stock L-98 86. I had it on reserve YESTERDAY. I filled it with gas to the HALF mark point because I thought that was the problem. I said it could be the fuel filter because I let it get down so low. You told me that garbage can be added when fueling. I figured it mustve picked something up, if that is even the inital problem. I checked the fuel pressure. It says its 30...Possibly because the highest the gauge goes is thirty then underneath it in small red #s it goes up to -100. It's a fuel pressure gauge though. I am going by a Haynes manual. It has some pics and is allright in giving me some details. Thats why I was going to use a paperclip before like you do when you check for codes. It's hard to explain in words without someone being right here. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel filter and replace it. I am going to cut open the old one to see what, if anything, is in there. I will go to NAPA for the right. parts. Thanks. My dinners ready as well. I'll wake up early tomorrow and see whats new. Thanks for the help. I'm so lost on this and I don't feel much like dealing with it.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
The year of your car would help a lot but to my knowledge only the early L98s had the cold start injector and it is not in the front of your intake, it's on the driver side between the intake runners. Nonetheless it is not your problem.
....i've an 88 and i have a csv....
Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Look in my profile.
***I DID

I put it in there.
**IT WAS NOT IN THERE AFTER YOU POSTED AS I CHECKED

Sjeez.
***RIGHT BACK AT YOU

I got a stock L-98 86.

I had it on reserve YESTERDAY. I filled it with gas to the HALF mark point because I thought that was the problem.
***AND SINCE YA DID, THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS SO, FUEL LEVEL NOT THE PROBLEM.

I said it could be the fuel filter because I let it get down so low.
***LOW FUEL LEVEL IN THE TANK WILL USUALLY NOT INCREASE THE LEVEL OF "TRASH" IN THE FILTER BUT, WILL ONLY CONTRIBUTE TO AN OVERHEATED FUEL PUMP OR AS A REACH, A PUMP SUCKING AIR (BUT USUALLY ON SPIRITED HARD TURNS).

You told me that garbage can be added when fueling.
***YEAH, IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF LEAVES, DIRT, AND SAND, ETC AT THE FILLER NECK BUT, YOU'D SEE THAT WHILE FILLING. IF YOU DIDN'T SEE ANY OF THE LIKE WHILE ATTEMPTING TO GAS UP, THAT PROBABLY IS NOT THE PROBLEM. THAT SHOULD BE A CLEARER EXPLANATION FOR YOU.

I figured it mustve picked something up, if that is even the inital problem.
***SEE ABOVE.

I checked the fuel pressure. It says its 30...Possibly because the highest the gauge goes is thirty then underneath it in small red #s it goes up to -100. It's a fuel pressure gauge though.
***SO, WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS THAT YOU HAVE A GAUGE THAT YOU CANNOT READ OR MAYBE THAT DOES NOT GO HIGH ENOUGH ? SO WHAT IS THE FUEL PRESSURE THEN?

I am going by a Haynes manual.
**GET A HELMS MANUAL

It has some pics and is allright in giving me some details. Thats why I was going to use a paperclip before like you do when you check for codes.
***YOU ARE GONNA USE A PAPERCLIP? FOR WHAT? ONLY GOOD FOR PAPER AND GETTING CODES AND NOT MUCH ELSE.

It's hard to explain in words without someone being right here. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel filter and replace it. I am going to cut open the old one to see what, if anything, is in there.
***FOR WHAT? ...AND THEN WHAT?...IT'S AN EXCERCISE IN FUTILITY AND WILL SOLVE NOTHING BUT TO TAKE UP YOUR TIME AND INCREASE THE "DOWN" TIME OF YOUR CAR.

I will go to NAPA for the right. parts. Thanks. My dinners ready as well. I'll wake up early tomorrow and see whats new. Thanks for the help. I'm so lost on this and I don't feel much like dealing with it.
..SEE BOLD CAPS REPLY ABOVE...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Look in my profile. I put it in there. Sjeez. I got a stock L-98 86.
Are you saying that the people you are soliciting free information from are bums because they haven't made the extra effort to go look at your profile for information that should have been in your opening post, in order to give you assistance out of the kindness of their hearts? Get real! Not many of us have to go begging to find deserving, grateful, people in need of help, that will be properly appreciative. Personally, I got enough info for the questions by the mention of the 9th injector. But for you to cop an attitude to someone giving help, because you think he is too lazy in his assistance to look up your profile for info that you should have included from the start, is the height of arrogance. As first responder, Da Mail Man gave you plenty of good information and help.

I had it on reserve YESTERDAY. I filled it with gas to the HALF mark point because I thought that was the problem.
You didn't make that chronology clear the way you first presented it. Da Mail Man was perfectly right in being confused about how a half tank got down to reserve in a car that won't start. That is how you first presented it.

I checked the fuel pressure. It says its 30...Possibly because the highest the gauge goes is thirty then underneath it in small red #s it goes up to -100. It's a fuel pressure gauge though. I am going by a Haynes manual.
You bought the wrong gauge for working on EFI. Da Mail Man gave you the pressures to look for in his first post. If you bought the gauge since then, you should have known better. Also, you have the wrong manual. The Haynes can give some general assistance, but the FSM has trouble shooting charts for problems, such as yours, and descriptions of how various systems work.

Thats why I was going to use a paperclip before like you do when you check for codes. It's hard to explain in words without someone being right here. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel filter and replace it. I am going to cut open the old one to see what, if anything, is in there. I will go to NAPA for the right. parts.
Using a paper clip to check for codes is a great idea, but it won't help you in getting 12 volts to terminal "G" of the ALDL or the pump electrical connector. Don't go to NAPA, or anywhere else for parts, other than the fuel filter, until you have finished trouble shooting and you know EXACTLY what parts you need.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Are you saying that the people you are soliciting free information from are bums because they haven't made the extra effort to go look at your profile for information that should have been in your opening post, in order to give you assistance out of the kindness of their hearts? Get real! Not many of us have to go begging to find deserving, grateful, people in need of help, that will be properly appreciative. Personally, I got enough info for the questions by the mention of the 9th injector. But for you to cop an attitude to someone giving help, because you think he is too lazy in his assistance to look up your profile for info that you should have included from the start, is the height of arrogance. As first responder, Da Mail Man gave you plenty of good information and help.

You didn't make that chronology clear the way you first presented it. Da Mail Man was perfectly right in being confused about how a half tank got down to reserve in a car that won't start. That is how you first presented it.

You bought the wrong gauge for working on EFI. Da Mail Man gave you the pressures to look for in his first post. If you bought the gauge since then, you should have known better. Also, you have the wrong manual. The Haynes can give some general assistance, but the FSM has trouble shooting charts for problems, such as yours, and descriptions of how various systems work.

Using a paper clip to check for codes is a great idea, but it won't help you in getting 12 volts to terminal "G" of the ALDL or the pump electrical connector. Don't go to NAPA, or anywhere else for parts, other than the fuel filter, until you have finished trouble shooting and you know EXACTLY what parts you need.

RACE ON!!!
..i appreciate the "back-up" sir (cfi) . he sounds desperate and is a little new (although he has 2 stars). i sure don't want to get another 15-rounder going in this thread ....maybe i , you, us, the forum, can let him slide a little bit after this spanking ya gave him? ...
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/En...ButWontRun.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Fu...mDiagnosis.pdf
Old 07-13-2007, 07:59 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
maybe i , you, us, the forum, can let him slide a little bit after this spanking ya gave him? ...
I hope so, too. I'm through unless further provoked. It takes a lot of Gaul to bite the hand that feeds you.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

I hope so, too. I'm through unless further provoked. It takes a lot of Gaul to bite the hand that feeds you.

RACE ON!!!
... ...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM
dogbon
Advanced

Look in my profile. I put it in there. Sjeez. I got a stock L-98 86. I had it on reserve YESTERDAY. I filled it with gas to the HALF mark point because I thought that was the problem. I said it could be the fuel filter because I let it get down so low. You told me that garbage can be added when fueling. I figured it mustve picked something up, if that is even the inital problem. I checked the fuel pressure. It says its 30...Possibly because the highest the gauge goes is thirty then underneath it in small red #s it goes up to -100. It's a fuel pressure gauge though. I am going by a Haynes manual. It has some pics and is allright in giving me some details. Thats why I was going to use a paperclip before like you do when you check for codes. It's hard to explain in words without someone being right here. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel filter and replace it. I am going to cut open the old one to see what, if anything, is in there. I will go to NAPA for the right. parts. Thanks. My dinners ready as well. I'll wake up early tomorrow and see whats new. Thanks for the help. I'm so lost on this and I don't feel much like dealing with it.

I don't see diiddly in your profile other than 1986. I also have an '86 but that wouldn't help much for asking advice. The guys here are more than willing to help those who help themselves

Get notified of new replies

To 2 quick fuel quiestions on L-98 Need answer soon

Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dogbon
I don't see diiddly in your profile other than 1986. I also have an '86 but that wouldn't help much for asking advice. The guys here are more than willing to help those who help themselves

.....easy guy, let's not get this thing on "friday night at the fights" ...when i checked his profile and before i responded, he had "diddly" in his profile and nothing in his inital post...as cfi indicated, i also knew that his years fell somewhere between 86-89 because of the csv.....
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM
~Cobra Killer~
Advanced

I wasn't trying to bite the hand or be mean to the mail man. Sorry. It is difficult to interpet what I am saying thru internet. I really appreciate it. Ill post back tomorrow. I wasnt trying to provoke either. Sorry you guys took it the wrong way.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:23 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cobra Killer, send me a pm stating your problem and I will see if I can't walk you through the steps on diagnosing it.

Quick Reply: 2 quick fuel quiestions on L-98 Need answer soon