C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark to prevent water from gettin in thru the seals?

Old 10-31-2001, 12:12 AM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark to prevent water from gettin in thru the seals?

My water pump began leaking and I decided to also change the plug wires and Optispark while I had the water pump off. My question is: the forum Tech Tip on optispark repair states to use Premium Black Permatex RTV because it withstands the highest temperatures. The black RTV is used to seal the base to lower cap, and the lower cap to upper cap. I have searched 3 stores and have seen copper RTV, blue RTV, red RTV, and Black Silicon Adhesive Sealant all of which are made by Permatex. I can not find Black RTV made by Permatex. But it is interesting that the Black Sealant is the only one that is marketed as waterproof and insulates wires. Also in the photo on the package the Black Sealant comes in it shows a person applying the product holding the tube that says Black RTV to seal weather strip around a car door's interior. I am a little concerned that this may not be the right product since it is no longer marketed as RTV and because it is not marketed as being for high temperatures. Does anyone know more about this? Where do I buy the right thing to protect my $260 investment in a new optispark. Thanks in advance for all replies. FrankLT4CE
Old 10-31-2001, 04:05 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark

You can use any RTV sealant that can handle the temps. They are all designed to seal and are silicone so they can handle the the temps that the opti will see.

Old 10-31-2001, 01:14 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark to prevent water from gettin in thru the seals?

I use the copper RTV on everything, including the exterior of the opti. It withstands the most heat, but also dries the slowest so you have to allow for adequate set time. I just caked it on the outside of the seals rather than dismantling the opti.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:59 PM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark

Thanks. I took your advice and went with the copper RTV. Regards, FrankLT4CE

Get notified of new replies

To Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark to prevent water from gettin in thru the seals?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question: Best Sealant to use on New Optispark to prevent water from gettin in thru the seals?