C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Auto Transmission install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auto Transmission install?

89 coupe- automatic. The transmission just went. I am considering replacing it myself. The question is: How hard of a job? I checked the Service Manual and Chiltons, but they're really no help. They also gave different removal directions. One says the exhaust has to be dropped, while the other makes no mention. Any comments?

Anyone know of a transmission shop that is cheap, reputable, and reliable in the new york city area? I have four choices: 1-buying a tranny and replacing it myself, 2- Remove my tranny and having it rebuilt, 3-take it to a shop and have them put in another tranny, 4-take it to a shop and have my tranny rebuilt?

I am getting really tired of fixing one problem (water pump, heater coil, weatherstrip, etc.) only to have another one surface. I would like to have an inexpensive easy way out!!!!!! Help!!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
bd2626
Drifting

Originally Posted by 89 Bob L
89 coupe- automatic. The transmission just went. I am considering replacing it myself. The question is: How hard of a job? I checked the Service Manual and Chiltons, but they're really no help. They also gave different removal directions. One says the exhaust has to be dropped, while the other makes no mention. Any comments?

Anyone know of a transmission shop that is cheap, reputable, and reliable in the new york city area? I have four choices: 1-buying a tranny and replacing it myself, 2- Remove my tranny and having it rebuilt, 3-take it to a shop and have them put in another tranny, 4-take it to a shop and have my tranny rebuilt?

I am getting really tired of fixing one problem (water pump, heater coil, weatherstrip, etc.) only to have another one surface. I would like to have an inexpensive easy way out!!!!!! Help!!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1761471
Try Pete for some info on this!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:00 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Cheap, reputable, and reliable, in the New York City area, hmmmm If you've done any transmission replacements, you should be able to handle this. You can drop the whole exhaust very easily (has to be done). As I get older, I really hate crawling under cars (don't have a lift), that and the fact if your new tranny has a problem the rebuilder doesn't cover in and out, unless you already paid him to do it. Check the warantee VERY carefully. Constant problems are unfortunately the norm with used cars.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:43 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

I have done several in the past, but not on corvettes. I am looking for some keen insight as to how difficult a job it is. I am aware of some tips, ie such as removing the distributor cap to avoid damage if the engine is shifted and removing the filler tube before removing the tranny, etc. Any special tools needed? How long a job? I am getting price ranges for removing/rebuilding the original tranny/ and installing anywhere from $1700-2300.00 including a torque converter. I am not looking anything special, just a good standard tranny (stock oem type).
Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

From what I remember it's pretty easy to R&R the trans. I remember that you would need some really long extensions to reach some of the bolts. 12" or more. Around here places charge $1200 for a rebuild with new converter and R&R. $200 less if you pull the trans yourself. One year warrenty with most places to. Pete K has some trans for sale in the parts section.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

It's not that bad, getting the car up high enough and supported safely is key. You will have to drop the exahust and pull the c-beam. I can't think of anything different from pulling a trans in any other rwd car except the c-beam. As far as tools needed

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...+removal+tools

Get a 36' extension it's 1/2 female drive for your impact or ratchet and 3/8 male drive. You can put a 14mm impact swivel socket on the end of it and the bellhousing bolts will be alot easier to deal with. Snap On or Matco have this extension. If Pete K is selling a trans I would buy that.

Last edited by JD'S WHITE 93; 07-23-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips and threads!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Clay Assassin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid 1700 for mt '89 rebuild with a one year warrenty. I wish I did it myself.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Bulldog Steve
Racer

Page Pete K.
He is the best ask him if has time to rebuild it you wont be sorry trust me he will do mine when its time!!!!!
Steve
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Livin the Dream
Pro

I have found a good transmission jack is well worth it as well. Makes lining them up a breeze
Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
bigbob1
Advanced

PeteK just built me a tranny. If your going to replace have pete build you one. Don't try and save money when it comes to the drivetrain you will regret it later. I put the tranny in myself. Not a bad job. It's hard for me to trust a shop to take care of my car. It's like leaving your kids with a sranger. Do it yourself. Don't skimp on the converter. Pete was very helpful through the hole process. I would highly recommend him!

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Transmission install?

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission install?