C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

13" HD brakes on rear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Default 13" HD brakes on rear?

What is needed and is it advisable to put the front 13 HD brakes on the rear if you upgrade the front to a larger better brake system (4 or 6 piston, or even C5 brakes)? Will you retain use of the E brake?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

There have been a few with larger brakes on the rear but I know of no kit or anyone making adapter plates for the rear. The rear only does about 30% of the braking. If you need to go larger in back I hope you are making some serious cash in racing. If your that serious an adjustable proporting valve would also work well, you can adjust per track and in rain or dry. I have only put better pads in the rear on mine for HPDE use. I have the C5 calipers on the front and with the DRM bias spring, my bias is OK. I do not want to get into bias issues at this time. If you go really big you may need a different M/C.

I rarely use my E-brake and have been thinking about considering it extra weight.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that exact setup on my car and I've seen a few others on the board. I have the DRM Wilwood GN3 setup on front with factory J55's (13" front HD brakes) on the rear. A few significant points:
- You WILL lose the e-brake unless you buy a relatively high-dollar aftermarket e-brake and another adaptor
- The adaptor to mount the J55's on the rear is available from Melrose Performance, DRM, and Exotic Muscle (not positive about EM, but I know the others for sure). It's not cheap -- something like $450 for the pair. The adaptor replaces the factory brake mount, so it's a pretty big piece with a lot of machining.
- You definitely don't want to do it unless you have significantly increased the volume of the front calipers. Even then, you really need to get an adjustable brake bias valve to dial-in the system correctly. You'll probably also need a larger master cylinder to keep a firm high pedal. (I have both an adjustable bias valve and aftermarket larger MC).

It's a pretty time-consuming and expensive project to get it right. That being said, I don't regret it at all. I absolutely love my setup on the track. However, if it was a street-only car (or drag car), I would never have done it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Do you run at Road America at all? I'd love to see the car!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
BAM92
Safety Car

I also think Baer has a plus 1 for the rear. Uses factory rear caliper and an adaptor to use 13" rotors. I think it was Ecklers that I last saw it.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I was just looking at some big brake kits (Wilwood 6 piston lite), and was thinking if I went to something like that it would be good to use the fronts in the rear to balance since I already have these. Maybe not since it seems like a lot of $ just for the brackets.

What do you guys do without an E brake? Jsut leave it in gear and hope? I use mine every time I park, I guess it is just a habit, but it would really bother me if I had to park on a hill!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Do you run at Road America at all? I'd love to see the car!
I've been up there several times, but not this year (new baby coming, so the schedule just didn't work out). I'll definitely be up there next season, though.

RA was the biggest reason I did these brakes

As far as the e-brake, I've never had any problems. I actually never used it anyway unless I was parked on a steep hill. I just don't park on steep hills anymore

With the Wilwood superlites, you'll actually be fine with the stock rear brakes. The superlite 6's are great calipers. The pistons aren't as big as the older GN3's like I have, so they don't mess up the bias as much. If I hadn't gotten a great deal on my used GN3's I may have gone with the SL6's. You can find a lot of good info on them in the roadracing section. A lot of the C5 guys run them on the front.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

The baby here slowed things down to! Congrads though! Since I live close enough I've still been able to go twice a year with MFBA. April&Oct 15. Who are you all going to run with next year? I was thinking of starting in with NASA.

I don't ever use the e-brake on mine either but it sees more track miles then street.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks!

I've run with MBFA for the past few years -- great group!

I've run with NASA, but not at RA. For next year, I'll run with one or both of those groups. I probably won't make it for the April session with Mbfa just because I'm finishing a new engine this winter and will need to break it in (and plug all the leaks) first. NASA usually runs there over the summer, so that may be a better fit for me.

If you're going to go up there in October with MBFA, let me know -- I'd like to swing up there for one day just to watch / hang out.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I plan to run Sunday or if it rains, try and switch to Saturday. I wish there was more time to watch, I usually end up resting between sessions and don't get to visit much if at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Which is better, the GNIII or the Superlites?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

There are some good posts in the roadracing section about that question. Basically the Superlites are lighter, and supposed to be a stronger design. The GN3's have more piston area and larger pads.

Perhaps the biggest plus for the superlites, though, is the fact that wilwood makes an adaptor to fit them on late C4's with basically no other mods. Rippie sells the GN3 kit that I have, but it requires you to cut off the mounting tabs from your spindles, so there's no turning back. When I got mine used they came with modified spindles, so I just put my stock ones in storage so I can go back to stock if I ever want to.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:31 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

PM sent to Mark

Get notified of new replies

To 13" HD brakes on rear?

Quick Reply: 13" HD brakes on rear?