C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Will Cadillac 472 stroker w/ trans fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you really wanted to, and you're good at fabricating...mounts wouldn't be too bad. Oil pan could probably be modified, and headers fabricated. Those Caddys aren't as heavy as a BBC, and just a little more than a SBC. A new hood would probably be needed. More problems might be with the Rear-end. Connecting it to the TH400, getting it to live with that much TQ, and getting tires to hook it up, etc.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:33 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

This turbo 400 was built for this engine, and bolts right up. It is the Buick, Pontiac, Olds bolt pattern.

There is an adapter kit for the trans and for the engine mounts. The oil pan is very wierd, but they make a special pan for that to put in places where chevy motors used to be.

Oh well, I don't want to change out the hood. If anyone else wants a shot at this motor/trans set up let me know. My buddy is desperate to sell it. Initially, his hand was cut off at work and he got a big settlement. He bought this caddy motor, trans, rear, etc. w/ some of the money. He started a local speed shop here that just went under with the rest. Now he really needs some dough to keep the house he bought.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by black85
I still want to buy the motor/trans and find something else to put it in. He only wants $3000.
Buy that thing and toss it in a '60s/'70s Caddy hearse!

If anyone else wants a shot at this motor/trans set up let me know.
Sorry to hear about his misfortunes. PM sent.

Last edited by Aurora40; 08-07-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

IIRC, the Caddy motor has a very large water pump and the brackets for the various accessories stick out in the front a bunch. If you measure the length of the Cad motor with the OEM brackets attached you will find a big difference comapred to the L98 setup. While you can get around the longer length by custom-fabbing brackets, the cost for that will be high.

The big problem will be in attaching the C-beam to the tranny. A custom bracket or modding the tailshaft will take lots of work.

There has been discussion on 454 swaps into a C4 and some have done it. While that is a job in itself, it would probably be a much easier swap to do simply because the motor mounts and trans make it a much easier deal compared to a non-Chevy swap.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This turbo 400 was built for this engine, and bolts right up. It is the Buick, Pontiac, Olds bolt pattern.

There is an adapter kit for the trans and for the engine mounts. The oil pan is very wierd, but they make a special pan for that to put in places where chevy motors used to be.

Oh well, I don't want to change out the hood. If anyone else wants a shot at this motor/trans set up let me know. My buddy is desperate to sell it. Initially, his hand was cut off at work and he got a big settlement. He bought this caddy motor, trans, rear, etc. w/ some of the money. He started a local speed shop here that just went under with the rest. Now he really needs some dough to keep the house he bought.

Yea, I was talking about the Trans-to-Rear Beam. I remember reading about the oil pan being strange. Those Cad motors can make some big TQ though, and would be killer in something light. Sorry to hear about your friends' misfortune.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

C4cruiser has a good point, if the accesories stick out too far (even the balancer) you may have a clearance problem with the crossmember in front of the motor . youd have to take lots of measurements.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Headers wouldn't be that bad to make. They sell flanges and
I can tell you've never made headers.

I used to make custom headers for race cars. Race cars are a LOT easier to make headers for than street cars (done that, too).
You won't be able to do it yourself...guaranteed....and paying a pro to do it will cost you plenty; plan on four figures by the time they are done, not counting ceramic coating.

Good luck with the project.

Larry
code5coupe

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have never made headers, but my friend does. I'm sure it would still be very expensive.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:29 PM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I see nothing but problems with this swap.I don`t know,maybe it`s just my conservative nature.

Quick Reply: Will Cadillac 472 stroker w/ trans fit?