C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone running a stud girdle on an LT1/LT4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running a stud girdle on an LT1/LT4?

Rocker arm stud girdle, that is.

I did a search on the forum and found a lot of discussion, but didn't actually find anyone who was really running one.

I'm trying to figure out if anyone is running one and if so what valve covers they've been able to use that clear the alt bracket. I saw a lot of discussion around the proforms, but they're not much taller than stock so I don't know if they'll clear the girdle.

I actually have a Melrose "rigid system" that I got used from an F-Body guy. I haven't tried fitting it yet, but after measuring it, it doesn't look like it will clear the alt bracket.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Never tried one an an LTX or centerbolt SBC engine here. My experience is limited to conventional SBC and BBC.

I've used a Crane stud girdle on all my BBC bracket engines for years, and stud girdles are not without their drawbacks. With very high-lift camshafts, you run the risk of stud breakage without modifying the heads (the loads placed on the studs require the heads be drilled and tapped for longer studs where they bolt into the heads - ask me how I know!).

The valve covers have to be MUCH taller to accomodate the girdle and the longer rocker arm nuts. In addition to the issue of clearance (height), you also have to consider the clearance around the retention hardware. Most likely, you'll need some sort of fabricated valve cover setup, and that will not clear the alternator or brace.

Perhaps Ed or somebody else can chime in here.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

I have not used a rocker stud girdle,but I am using Proform aluminum valve covers on my LT1.In order to make them fit properly I had to modify(grind off)part of the back of my altenator.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark,

i'm running jesel shaft rockers on my LT4 heads. i found some valvecovers that work great, although i did have to grind the alternator a bit. i bring this up because shaft rockers can be the only way to get the geometry correct. my LT4 heads have valves ~0.150" longer than stock. even with much longer pushrods, the geometry was ugly enough that stud rockers swept angles. i could never even get close to a good sweep on the stem no matter what i did. (~0.610" lift.)

the jesels pretty much fixed all the geometry problems. i had to use all their shims to raise the pedestals to get it right, but the side benefit was that their low-profile head bolts weren't needed anymore.

-michael
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

That's a very good point. I don't have the motor assembled yet, but I'll definitely need to check geometry. I'm using AFR 210 (new style) and it looks like I will end up with about 0.62" lift at the valve.

What valve covers did you end up with on yours?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the black proform ones. they weren't much taller than my LT4 covers, but tall enough! i had to remove the baffles, they cleared the rockers but not the shafts. i run coalescing filters for the pcv/tb hoses, so oil mist into the engine hasn't been an issue.

-michael
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running a stud girdle on an LT1/LT4?

Quick Reply: Anyone running a stud girdle on an LT1/LT4?