C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84-egnition up grade

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 AM
John Arthur
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84-egnition up grade

84-tbi crossfire fixed all the short's on sencor's new ecm added magnaflow exsaust got nkg cold plug's. the car run's good,good throtle responce,just thinking about giving it a little more spark! have had good luck with malory's hei on my other car's,but thay where older and did not have to worry abought ecm's. I guess what Iam asking if I put a hotter coil will the ecm reset to it or if it's not broke don't fix it,trying to get a few more horse's maybe some header's any thought's will be appr!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:57 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

.......uh wow

Anyhow, I think you should look into a good tune up first. Since you got new plugs, now install a new cap, rotor and plug wires. Then my next step would be 1.6:1 roller rockers before I messed with the coil. After that I would look into headers if they are street legal where you live. If you've got smog laws that don't allow you to move O2 sensor like here in California, then you can't use headers.

Those few items will pick you up a few horsepower that you will notice.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by John Arthur
just thinking about giving it a little more spark!

I guess what Iam asking if I put a hotter coil will the ecm reset to it or if it's not broke don't fix it,trying to get a few more horse's
It is not possible to give "it a little more spark". The coil only puts out what is needed to jump the gap. You aren't using half of what is available, now. Increasing what is available won't change what is being delivered. Besides, you could light the fire in that 9.0:1 compression, Crossfire with a birthday candle. Trying to use an acetylene torch won't get it any more lit.

The ECM has no idea what is required to jump the plug gap. It has no idea of the coil output. There would be no reason to "reset" the ECM since there is no interaction between the two. There isn't one ounce of horsepower available by changing the ignition on that car. Good luck, and...

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ultimately, the xfire is restricted by the intake manifold. I would hog the ports out and then look at doing performance mods.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

CFI is on the money. I'm running the stock ignition system in my '84, and it runs fine. You ain't even making the stock system sweat yet.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
Crossfire with a birthday candle. Trying to use an acetylene torch won't get it any more lit.
RACE ON!!!
as always the analogy is priceless
got nkg cold plug's. the car run's good,good throtle responce,just thinking about giving it a little more spark!
are you saying you changed the heat range??if so, that may present an issue
Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
John Arthur
Heel & Toe

Default 84-c4

don't know if it changed the heat range the dealership say's it's normal 197deg's hyw and207 in town and that's with the a/c on. I have a 396-402 with cold plugs and it never gets over 190 and i live in tx it can get hot here.I undestand that the coil may not help with more horses but I put a malory flame trower 10,000 rpm's that gave me a little more on that 402 but don't think this will handle that many rpm's.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

don't know if it changed the heat range the dealership say's it's normal 197deg's hyw and207 in town and that's with the a/c on. I have a 396-402 with cold plugs and it never gets over 190 and i live in tx it can get hot here.
So THAT is the secret to running cooler. So many people say it's a lower temp stat.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
kehler
Racer

Originally Posted by bogus
ultimately, the xfire is restricted by the intake manifold. I would hog the ports out and then look at doing performance mods.
what he said, by far the biggest increase for me was made by a dremel.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
InHot
Instructor

don't know if it changed the heat range the dealership say's it's normal 197deg's hyw and207 in town and that's with the a/c on. I have a 396-402 with cold plugs and it never gets over 190 and i live in tx it can get hot here.I undestand that the coil may not help with more horses but I put a malory flame trower 10,000 rpm's that gave me a little more on that 402 but don't think this will handle that many rpm's.
This place is better than watching the Simpsons!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
So THAT is the secret to running cooler. So many people say it's a lower temp stat.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 84-egnition up grade

Quick Reply: 84-egnition up grade