C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HotCam, Waterpump, Opti and Timing Chain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 AM
streettrim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HotCam, Waterpump, Opti and Timing Chain Questions

I found a stock lt1 engine to replace the garbage rebuilt motor i have now...The motor is going in the car at the end of this week...Before the engine goes in i want to replace a couple of things but have questions before i run off buying stuff...

1) I really want a hot cam kit
If i get this, is it just a matter of lifting the valve covers and pulling the timing chain cover off???

2) Should i get a HD roller timing chain to replace the stock one while I'm down there? Where's a good place to buy one?

3) I am going to change the Opti...Can I convert to a stock vented one since / if i changed cams? Should I go with the MSD one?? Or just replace it with another non-vented Delco?

4) The Electric water pump....Is it any easier to install with the motor out of the car...Its just a daily driver should so should i just forget about it, replace it with a stock one and throw in a 160degree thermo?

You guys are the most helpful people in the world, I want to thank y'all in advance..Any input is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Yes, but you also have to pull the intake off to get at the lifters and drop the pan to get the timing cover on and off.

2. Depending on the mileage, you might as well while you have it apart. Summit Racing, Superior Chevy...

3. You can convert it to the newer style opti but you would need a newer timing cover. I run a Delco and haven't had any experience with the MSD so I can't comment on that.

4. The EWP is easy to install either way. You should probably wait untill you drop the motor in though so it doesn't get in you way. 160 degree thermo is a great thing to have. Get a tune from PCMFORLESS.com to compliment those mods and you'll be moving.

Quick Reply: HotCam, Waterpump, Opti and Timing Chain Questions