C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Idiot lights stay on ASR, ASB, & Red Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 09:26 PM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idiot lights stay on ASR, ASB, & Red Brake light

My U joints went bad and I had all of them fixed by a small shop. The mechanic said the sensors were real dirty and he cleaned them. The car runs fine and he told me to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to see if the computer resets. I did that and still have the problem. Before I take it to a real shop for analizing is there any shade tree troubleshooting I could do like disconnecting them or whatever? :smash:
Old 11-07-2001, 10:03 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Idiot lights stay on ASR, ASB, & Red Brake light (MardiGrasMan)

Well, let's see, what couldn't it be? All three of my lights were on when I bought the car, but it was fixed as part of the deal. They replaced the master cylinder..but they gave me some insight: If the red BRAKE light goes on while driving, it will disable the ASR and ABS and set those lights too (I also found that out the hard way!). The BRAKE light may come on because of a bad sensor, low brake fluid, low brake fluid pressure, low riders, (j/k) etc... Assuming the brakes were disconnected when the rear U joints were replaced, the system may just need a bleed or it's just low on fluid. Check the simple things... also, make sure the sensor wires are all re-connected.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:13 PM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the reply. I never thought to check the brake fluid because I had the brakes redone 2 months ago by a top notch shop. :flag
Old 11-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My brakes started doing that. They wouldn't do it all the time, only when I had to get on them pretty hard. I could shut the car down and start it up and it would go away. I looked at the manuals and it said one cause could be low fluid. I added some fluid and it solved the problem. Since brake fluid doesn't exactly go anywhere it told me that my brakes were worn fairly badly without even looking. I replaced my pads and rotors (I had to remove the extra fluid) but I haven't seen those lights since then.

Actually I'll take that back, I did see those lights when I boiled my fluid at the track the other day but that's a different story.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:12 PM
DHealey
Racer

Had the same type problem on my 92 last week.
My local mechanic fixed the problem by adjusting the parking brake. He said with the parking brake out of adjustment there was too much travel (extra 1/4") between the rear rotors and pads causing the 3 lights to come on.
Its fixed now, no more problem.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:40 PM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

Thanks, it was the brake fluid level. So much for trusting a top notch mechanic. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Idiot lights stay on ASR, ASB, & Red Brake light

Quick Reply: Idiot lights stay on ASR, ASB, & Red Brake light