C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is Vader86's C4 Technical Page, how to set the idle for L98, Same for 1985??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Bobwhite85
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Vader86's C4 Technical Page, how to set the idle for L98, Same for 1985??

I need to reset the idle on my 1985 L98, I saw Vader86's C4 Technical Page website (WOW!! THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFO Vader86!!) On his website he has how to reset the idle on a 1989 L98. Is that the same procedure that I would use on my 1985 L98??

SORRY people, new vette owner here, I will be asking alot of questions

THANKS FOR ANY INFO
Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobwhite85
On his website he has how to reset the idle on a 1989 L98. Is that the same procedure that I would use on my 1985 L98??
I haven't read his web site, but you don't set the idle speed for either year, with the stock or a mild cam. The idle speed is burned into the chip. Any effort to change the idle speed should be done by burning a new chip.

You can learn a lot about how different systems of your car operate and interact with one another, besides saving you a bundle in misdiagnoses by picking up a FSM Factory Service Manual.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This is basically a TPS/IAC resetting, so that the ECM controls it properly. You may also look at the other one, on cleaning and resetting the TPS/IAC. There are 2 pages, one written by Sam Lam.

I dont see why it wouldnt work for 85.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Bobwhite85
Drifting

Originally Posted by vader86
This is basically a TPS/IAC resetting, so that the ECM controls it properly. You may also look at the other one, on cleaning and resetting the TPS/IAC. There are 2 pages, one written by Sam Lam.

I dont see why it wouldnt work for 85.
Ok, Thank you!! I just got the car did a tune up and fixed about three vacuum leaks and my idle went up to 1200rpms so I turned it down via the little torx screw on the TB. After reading your site I see that was wrong. So I was just going to start from scratch and reset it. That is a very uesfull website you have there THANKS!!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

my idle went up to 1200rpms so I turned it down via the little torx screw on the TB. After reading your site I see that was wrong. So I was just going to start from scratch and reset it.
It as MORE wrong that you COULD change the idle speed with that screw. That is a definite sign that someone that doesn't know what they were doing has been playing in there before you get the car. With the minimum air adjustment properly set, the IAC should pretty much maintain the prom idle speed. Do follow the minimum air, IAC and TPS adjustments procedures from vader, or better yet your own FSM.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
It as MORE wrong that you COULD change the idle speed with that screw. That is a definite sign that someone that doesn't know what they were doing has been playing in there before you get the car. With the minimum air adjustment properly set, the IAC should pretty much maintain the prom idle speed. Do follow the minimum air, IAC and TPS adjustments procedures from vader, or better yet your own FSM.

RACE ON!!!
Ok, Thank you!! I just got the car did a tune up and fixed about three vacuum leaks and my idle went up to 1200rpms so I turned it down via the little torx screw on the TB. After reading your site I see that was wrong. So I was just going to start from scratch and reset it. That is a very uesfull website you have there THANKS!!
A sure way to tell is if the cap covering the min idle screw is gone
Old 08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by _twisted_
The cap missing is a sure sign of the screw having been accessed before, but the proof that it has been messed with by someone that doesn't know what they were doing, comes from being able to lower the idle speed from 1200 rpms, with the throttle stop screw.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
The cap missing is a sure sign of the screw having been accessed before, but the proof that it has been messed with by someone that doesn't know what they were doing, comes from being able to lower the idle speed from 1200 rpms, with the throttle stop screw.

RACE ON!!!
So then what would be the criteria for setting (or re-setting) up the throttle stop screw. Is there a TPS on that year car which you would set up a specific voltage for minimum throttle stop point?
Old 08-29-2007, 10:21 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
So then what would be the criteria for setting (or re-setting) up the throttle stop screw. Is there a TPS on that year car which you would set up a specific voltage for minimum throttle stop point?
I would say the criteria just for sh!tzand giggles would be to go through the procedure of parking the IAC and verifying the min idle, if it doesn't need an adjustment then move on and check the TPS voltage. If it does ned to be adjusted, you'll have to reset the TPS to the proper voltage for your app.

If you have a 94, I dont think your TPS is adjustable from the factory
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Bobwhite85
Drifting

Yes, It was gone
Old 08-30-2007, 07:13 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have a 94, I dont think your TPS is adjustable from the factory

Thanks, I was just asking for general knowledge on that 85, not my 94.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the 85 is set with the same procedure as on Vader's web page. Anytime the idle screw on the TB is turned, it will also change the voltage reading at the TPS. Follow the procedure and the idle should come down as long as there is not other problems.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

So then what would be the criteria for setting (or re-setting) up the throttle stop screw.
The ONLY criteria for setting (or re-setting) the throttle stop screw is to make the minimum air adjustment.

Is there a TPS on that year car which you would set up a specific voltage for minimum throttle stop point?
Once the minimum air adjustment is made, the adjustable TPS (1984 - 1989) is set to spec. In the 1990 and up, non-adjustable TPS cars, the computer will make the compensation, internally.

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is Vader86's C4 Technical Page, how to set the idle for L98, Same for 1985??

Quick Reply: Is Vader86's C4 Technical Page, how to set the idle for L98, Same for 1985??