C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anybody Running a 400 small block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:31 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (No Go)

I paid $250 for my block.. this included the following tests performed on the block

Hot tanked
Pressure tested
Sonic tested

I was even told that if I really wanted I could run a standard bore, I think the car it came out of had 27K miles
Old 11-09-2001, 11:21 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (-=Jeff=-)

Jeff,

[QUOTE]
1) Not completely true. There are some 400SBC with only 2 freeze plugs per side. Mine is one of them.

2) As for the dipstick, I have been told you need to move it to the Passenger for steering clearance issues. That is what I plan to do.

1) Yes, I have seen some 400s with only two freeze plugs per side. They DID, however have a flat area in the casting where the middle freeze plug would be located. I've never seen either condition on a block that wasn't cast for a 4.125 bore. I was trying to keep things simple. If you spot a core at a bone yard or a swap meet, etc. and it has three freeze plugs per side, you will KNOW that it's a 400.

2) I too would prefer a right side dipstick. I don't want to give anyone any reason to think it's not all factory. With the hole in the block and the jog in the rail of both the pan and the block, I never even considered that it COULD be relocated. Do you know of a proceedure for this? If feasable, I want to do it too. I had just planned on telling anyone who noticed, that the block had frozen and this is what was available to replace it with.

CFI-EFI
Old 11-10-2001, 09:26 PM
KYVette90
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (CFI-EFI)

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to start looking for a block.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:07 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (CFI-EFI)

I too would prefer a right side dipstick. I don't want to give anyone any reason to think it's not all factory. With the hole in the block and the jog in the rail of both the pan and the block, I never even considered that it COULD be relocated. Do you know of a proceedure for this? If feasable, I want to do it too. I had just planned on telling anyone who noticed, that the block had frozen and this is what was available to replace it with.
Well all I know is that the Machine shop I used for my 355 said it can be done, I have also seem someone do this on a 350.. they redrilled the Pass side and the new gasket covered the hole on the Driver side. he also used a passenger side dipstick Pan..

That is all the info I have
Old 11-11-2001, 02:31 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Well all I know is that the Machine shop I used for my 355 said it can be done, I have also seem someone do this on a 350.. they redrilled the Pass side and the new gasket covered the hole on the Driver side. he also used a passenger side dipstick Pan..

That is all the info I have
Like I said, I had never even condidered the possibility. I can picture plugging the leaks on the unused side, it's new side that I'll need to look into. Thanks for tipping me off to the possibilities. If you should happen to get more details, please let me know. Can anyone else shed some light on the dipstick side swap?

CFI-EFI
Old 11-11-2001, 09:18 AM
johndezman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (No Go)

i'd be interested in a copy of that article! please send to johndezman@hotmail.com. thanks
Old 11-20-2001, 05:33 PM
black bart
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM makes a block with no dip stick hole and you put it where you want it. To see ad go to paceparts.com Don't know why someone would want to go to all that trouble though unless they plan on cheating in some form of racing :lol:
Old 11-20-2001, 06:11 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anybody Running a 400 small block? (KYVette90)

Somebody mentioned cooling. I just thought I would point out that my friend finally got his Z-28 running. It is a 396 stroker, it stayed right at 160 degrees all the way home. With a good clean radiator, good quality coolant at
the proper mixture, and a computer program to help with the fans, cooling shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-21-2001, 12:06 AM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dipstick Tube

I am running an early 70's casting with drivers side dipstick tube. I didn't have to bend or pry it at all. FWIW, I was told it was from a Monte-maybe different dipstick tubes for different cars...but probably not.

Anywho, no problems (just the fact that my oil pan sits about 3/4 of an inch lower and I have had to pull the pan off to weld some unfortunate scrapes from the driveway). -Matt-

Quick Reply: Anybody Running a 400 small block?