C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What carburetor for road course racing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
rickeolis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What carburetor for road course racing?

I have a 1986 Vette that I just put a stock 350 block into and am going to build the car for road course racing. Unless I can find an entire stock F.I. system (I do still have the harness and computer), I want to use a carb that will not give out while taking hard corners. Also one that won't require ongoing maintenance would be nice too.

Thanks-
Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want no ongoing maintenance, then I suggest going with fuel injection. Carbs have to be changed for temp, humidity, and pressure. There is no single set it and forget it carb that makes max power.

I vote get fuel injection setup and tuned properly, and then you won't have to deal with it no matter what the weather does. Yes, it will take more work to get it setup and programmed, but in the end, it will be worth it.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Chevy did mechanical FI for road racing back in '57 just because carbs can be such a pain on road courses. Center hung floats helped out a lot. I know someone who has a GT1 car on a carb and it rocks once it's done right.

But if you still have the computer and harness, then skip the stock FI and get a miniram or convert an LT1 intake.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 PM
BTTB
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend that has an 85 built to the hilt for road racing---he has a barry grant 750 sitting on top.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:26 PM
rickeolis
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I hear the Barry Grant carbs are good.
Brian- What is a miniram? I do have access to an LT-1 intake, but didn't think my harness and computer could work???
I am currently using a stock Q-jet, and it is center hung, but don't know the best way to tune it... (Some guys like them, other hate 'em)

-Rick-
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

A miniram is basically an LT1/4 intake with the distributor hole cut in for you.
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...niRam+Manifold

Converting an LT1 intake is cheaper, but it means cutting a distributor hole.

Here's an FAQ
http://www.lt1intake.com/files/faq.html

The reduced runner length and more flow would make a better intake than the stock L98 intake.

There's plenty of people who have done the converstion.

You could also get a superram. Slightly less rpm though, and a PITA to deal with. People get them because they have emissions fittings, as well as a little more midrange torque.

If you want to replace the stock intake, you should be able to pick one up at a swap meet. The weakness of the L98 intake is that it was designed for mid-range torque on a 305ci engine. Great for autocrossing, but not a road course.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
rickeolis
Instructor

Brian- Since posting this thread, I have begun looking into acquiring a used LT-1 intake setup. That URL you included seems like a BIG help. I really appreciate this!

-Rick-
Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick,
If you are interested I have a stock TPI setup - off an 88 - complete. i changed over to a bigblock - if you want it I'll sell it to ya cheap - 200 bucks if you want it!

Carl
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
rickeolis
Instructor

Carl, I really appreciate the offer, but you got to me a few days late. I just ordered one off E-Bay for just a few bucks more, but thanks-

-Rick-

Get notified of new replies

To What carburetor for road course racing?

Quick Reply: What carburetor for road course racing?