Update Tips: Lowering the front of a C4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Update Tips: Lowering the front of a C4

Old 09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Vito.A
CF Senior Member

Default Update Tips: Lowering the front of a C4

Just finished lowering my 85. I used K Hastings guide which is very helpful.

I did a couple of things different and wanted to pass along these tips. I noticed that Mid America says to glue the urethane front lowering wedges to the frame while Ecklers says to glue them to the spring. I had much better results gluing them to the frame. The other nice thing about this method is you only have to clip off the outside edge of the rubber bearing retainer.
I just scraped the rectangular indentation area on the alum front cross member where the urethane wedges go and then roughed it up with coarse sandpaper. I also roughed up the flat side of the wedge and then glued them with 3M Urethane two part epoxy. I used the floor jack to clamp them while setting. They are so solid; you would have to use an air chisel to remove them.

For the wedges to work properly, you must update 84-87 C4s with the 88-96 cast alum spring retainers. Installing the longer bolts for the 88-96 cast alum spring retainers is a PAIN! They go down through the front cross member from the top and are right next to the steering rack. It would be easy with the steering rack and engine out, but is tough with the engine and steering rack installed. I used a 3/8” piece of steel tubing with some neodymium barrel magnets in the end. A long magnetic pick up tool should work well also. I then stuck the bolt to the magnet and reached down through the engine compartment from above with the steel tube to install the new longer bolts. The hard ones are the left front which has to be tapped into place past the steering rack and the right rear which is buried under the steering rack and the AC compressor.
Also, after a lot of measuring, I shortened the new 88-96 cast alum spring retainers .800” on each side. The new cast aluminum spring retainers came with mechanical self locking nuts. These go onto the same bolts that are so tough to get to. I am not into pain and it is so difficult to get to the back side of these bolts, so I substituted standard 3/8” NC nuts, washers, and blue locktite. I just tightened them with an impact and it was much easier.

On the rear, I noticed the original bolts/nuts are metric and the ones from Mid America are SAE. No big deal, it just requires a 7/8" socket and wrench.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vito.A; 09-14-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
87vette
CF Senior Member

I did the same thing when I lowered my vert 2 years ago. I used a magentic wand when putting in those top bolts for the spring retainers. It was a bitch but it all went well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update Tips: Lowering the front of a C4

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: