C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fitment Problem AFR 180 Heads/Stock Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
90Indy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fitment Problem AFR 180 Heads/Stock Valve Covers

I have just finished installing a set of AFR 180cc Eliminator heads and I cannot get the stock valve covers to pass by the Accel runners. The inside lip on the valve cover hits the Harland & Sharpe RR's while the outer edge of the valve cover hits the runner.

I have pushed as hard I feel comfortable in doing and I am relutant to dent the runners or trim the valve cover.

Is anybody else running the SuperRam Intake/Runners/Plenum with AFR heads? Did you have this problem? If so what did you do to get them installed?

90Indy
Old 09-16-2007, 06:29 AM
bogor
Instructor

I did have the same problem when I had my stock 113 heads and OEM valve covers. I had to grind a little of the outer edge of the valve cover to clear the SR runners and I recall also a little on the inside (stock rocker arms but high lift cam). Today I´m almost done with my new engine that comprise of 210 Eliminators (should be the same outer dimensions as yours) and Billets specialities cast valve covers. I did not encounter any problems fitting the new valve cover to the AFR head (using Comp pro magnum rockers). I also have a set of Summit cast valve covers (cheaper, prob the same manufacturer but too low for the rocker studs) as I recall these also fitted without problem. The valve covers in the pic are the Billet S ones.

If you go for the BS covers: I had to grind slightly on the AC bracket to clear the valve covers. Also, I need to cut and weld a 2"x3" area in the front of the right cover to clear the AC compressor.

Last edited by bogor; 09-16-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 AM
90Indy
Pro

Thanks for the info Bogor. After thinking some more about it last night I came to the conclusion that I would do some trimming on the covers. Since the sealing is accomplished between the cover flange and the head, I don't see any problem in taking some of the "lip" off.

I am headed to the garage to begin the "operation".

90Indy
Old 09-16-2007, 10:19 AM
bogor
Instructor

I did not have any leakage from the valve covers after trimming (I run it for two years) so I don´t think you need to worry.

Get notified of new replies

To Fitment Problem AFR 180 Heads/Stock Valve Covers

Quick Reply: Fitment Problem AFR 180 Heads/Stock Valve Covers