C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Are AFR heads really worth the extra $$$

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Banned for life
I was thinking that too, but Dynodesktop say's that is what I sould expect. I know that it is not accurate, but still a good guideline.
I have the AFR220cc Race Heads, modified intake manifold, .030 bore, 3.75 stroke, dome KB forged pistons, 1.6 roller rockers, and a few other go fast goodies. I don't think it is too far off from what I will get... however it will be going over 8k.
Over 8K? Are you sure about that? You realize to allow that engine to live you'll need to spend LOTS of cash to keep it there, and in one piece? The way those heads you bought are setup will NOT do it. You'll need to place the entire valve train on them starting with shaft-mount rockers which will cost almost twice as much as the heads you just bought.

What do you plan on running for crank and rods?

DesktopDyno is pretty bad on estimating numbers.

Have you looked at this thread yet?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1808358

He was running titanium Crower rods, TD shaft rockers, custom billet solid-roller cam, etc...some of the best parts available and wasn't putting out the numbers you're looking at (or I should say Desktop Dyno is looking at).

630 FWHP is roughly 530 +/- RWHP. Don't mean to rain on your build or anything, but that's the reality of the situation.

You're more likely to get in the 490-520 FWHP area with an average 383 build, which is what you're specifying at this point.

Sorry to go a bit off-topic in this post!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:59 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jsup
All I am asking, yet no one has answered, is......what makes them so much better? Why am I throwing AFR an extra $700,800, 1000?
Because their heads get flow numbers of a head 20-25cc bigger.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
Because their heads get flow numbers of a head 20-25cc bigger.
Finally, thanks Vader. I'll check that out and get back to you....

The cam will give 560 lift. The Super Ram flows at 240.

Won't any head that flows over 240 at 560 lift or there about be about right.

There's a head that is 195 and flows 265 at 550. That seems to be right on the money.

The AFR Eliminator flows 280 at 550. This also seems like an option.

Question.......since Ligenfelter's spec on the SR is 240, isn't anything over 240 a waste? Or is there a gain to be had from the 280 flow.

Thanks.

Last edited by jsup; 09-16-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Depends, that is the spec unported correct? If you went with a bigger cam later, or a bigger engine, then you could port the intake and not have to port the heads, for example. And having such high flow numbers for the head wont hurt the power of the combination, it just means youre not taking advantage of their full potential.

When I'm thinking of engines, I build things for where I want them to be when everything is finished, the final combo, not always for right now.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:36 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by vader86
Depends, that is the spec unported correct? If you went with a bigger cam later, or a bigger engine, then you could port the intake and not have to port the heads, for example. And having such high flow numbers for the head wont hurt the power of the combination, it just means youre not taking advantage of their full potential.

When I'm thinking of engines, I build things for where I want them to be when everything is finished, the final combo, not always for right now.
When I'm done with this build, the ONLY thing I plan to add, if ever, is a pro charger, or vortex charger.

I spoke to a number of head guys and they say the larger heads, than the 195s, may not be "charger friendly" as it will take more air to get the PSI up.

So I think I'll be sticking with this combination.

To be specific:

Super Ram, 219 Cam, 1.6 RRs, Exotic Musle headers, X pile and dual exhaust, Air pump eliminated, tune, torque converter, shift kit.

That should keep me more than happy. I am figuring 330 ish at the wheels, maybe a few more, and I'm hopin for low 13s, MAYBE 12s. Won't know till I try it. The car has 3.07 D36.

Last edited by jsup; 09-16-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jsup
I can show you heads with better flow numbers...they aren't alone for flow.

Thanks for the link. I'll check those out.

Here's the problem, the Aluminum heads are 58CC. Those are 76 CC. I'd give up WAAAYY too much compression.
Yeah but if you've got an early iron head with 76cc chambers, then that is what you want. I went to 72 cc and bumped my compression up a little. If I put 58cc heads on mine, i'd have to use race gas
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4Ever21
Yeah but if you've got an early iron head with 76cc chambers, then that is what you want. I went to 72 cc and bumped my compression up a little. If I put 58cc heads on mine, i'd have to use race gas
You're right. I get so focused on my little world I forget that the L98 came in different flavors.

Quick Reply: Are AFR heads really worth the extra $$$