C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

best location for trans cooler

Old 09-14-2007, 09:14 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Default best location for trans cooler

Does anyone know the best location for a transmission cooler.I dont want to restrict the flow to the a/c condensor or the radiator as this may defeat the purpose.Did anyone verify temps before and after the install on both radiator and trans? (95 LT1)
Thanks for your input
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 PM
tobijohn
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by enventr
Does anyone know the best location for a transmission cooler.I dont want to restrict the flow to the a/c condensor or the radiator as this may defeat the purpose.Did anyone verify temps before and after the install on both radiator and trans? (95 LT1)
Thanks for your input
If you don't hear from anyone, contact toptechx6. He just did it to his 93...
Old 09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
shop14
Instructor

installed mine in front of the condensor,trans used to run at 200+ and now it wont get past 175 at 90+ degrees. my coolant temp did not change at all,177 -188 depending on the outside temps.204 with the ac on.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 PM
NT Vettman
Advanced

This how I did mine.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=tranny
It's mounted off the front lower bracket and the radiator housing.
Works great!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:44 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shop14
installed mine in front of the condensor,trans used to run at 200+ and now it wont get past 175 at 90+ degrees. my coolant temp did not change at all,177 -188 depending on the outside temps.204 with the ac on.
it looks like you are running a 160 thermostat with modified fans-is that correct? I have a stock 180 stat I wonder how many degrees it would cool .My trans runs between is 200-225.my radiator temps are 194-198 (with dewitt rad) are you also using the radiator in series for cooling the transmission ?

Last edited by enventr; 09-15-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last place I wanted to mount a transmission cooler was in front of the radiator.
So, for my '92, I bought a second OEM power steering cooler and mounted it in front of the existing power steering cooler -- down low behind the radiator. This way, I didn't have to make any mounts.
Except for some short 2" sections of tubing to connect to the cooler, I used all hard lines.

My flow path is through the stock radiator transmission cooler and then through my added cooler.

I don't know how this would work for track racing, but here in Florida on 100+ degree days I have seen a max transmission temperature of 170* in stop-and-go traffic. When I get on the open road, it goes down to about 135* -- and this is with an ambient temperature of 100.

With this setup I don't dump any transmission heat in front of the radiator and I don't think I would want the transmission any cooler.

-----------------------------------------------------
By the way, when I bought my OEM power steering cooler from the dealership, they said the computer was showing about 10 of them left in the country, and then they would be gone/discontinued.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 09-15-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Jeez, it mounts in front of the condenser. If you radiator and cooling system are working properly, it won't make a bit of difference.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
The last place I wanted to mount a transmission cooler was in front of the radiator.
So, for my '92, I bought a second OEM power steering cooler and mounted it in front of the existing power steering cooler -- down low behind the radiator. This way, I didn't have to make any mounts.
Except for some short 2" sections of tubing to connect to the cooler, I used all hard lines.

My flow path is through the stock radiator transmission cooler and then through my added cooler.

I don't know how this would work for track racing, but here in Florida on 100+ degree days I have seen a max transmission temperature of 170* in stop-and-go traffic. When I get on the open road, it goes down to about 135* -- and this is with an ambient temperature of 100.

With this setup I don't dump any transmission heat in front of the radiator and I don't think I would want the transmission any cooler.

-----------------------------------------------------
By the way, when I bought my OEM power steering cooler from the dealership, they said the computer was showing about 10 of them left in the country, and then they would be gone/discontinued.

Tom Piper
Will this supply less air to the power steering cooler?Will the power steering fluid be hotter-BTW impressive trans temps-are you running a 160 stat? Do you have any pix?-thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Will this supply less air to the power steering cooler?Will the power steering fluid be hotter-BTW impressive trans temps-are you running a 160 stat? Do you have any pix?-thanks
I converted my PS cooler to a trans cooler.

The PS cooler was a option on the Z51 cars;
intended to cool PS under heavy track work.Most street cars don't have one, so unless you are going auto-X you probably won't notice any difference in PS temps.
Even an aftermarket plate cooler fits/ works well in the PS cooler location.Plenty of airflow and safe from damage.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Actually, I don't know because that is the one area I don't have covered with a temperature gauge.
However, I don't believe, for my usage (no track use) that it will be a problem.

And, yes, I have a 160 thermostat (this is an LT1)

Tom Piper
Old 09-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lichen
Jeez, it mounts in front of the condenser. If you radiator and cooling system are working properly, it won't make a bit of difference.
On my Honda Pilot and other vehicles that are not "bottom breathers", I do mount the additional cooler in front of the condenser.

But, for a C4, that has a problem with air-flow in traffic, I simply will not do it. To each there own, but that is my method.
I spent too much time making it run cool in traffic as it is to put additional heat-load and interfere with the air flow.

And, with the exception of the power steering, I have temperature gauges on everything.
These gauges show my method works for me.
With a 160* thermostat and a mildly modified LT1 in Florida on 100 degree days, here are my temps:
Coolant:
In traffic no higher than 198 (fans are programmed to come on at 195 rising and off at 185 falling)
On the open road, it cools down to about 181.
Oil:
Max temp in traffic about 221, open road about 214.
Transmission:
Max temp in traffic about 170, open road about 135.
Power steering:
Don't know.

Tom Piper
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Tom Piper,
Do you remember the trans temp before the cooler was installed? Any Pix ?.It looks like it is really working well for you. Thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2007, 11:04 AM
larryabbott
Advanced

Default trans cooler

Tom Piper,
Was the Power Steering cooler an option or is it stock (I have a '92)? If my car has no PS cooler then that "space" would be open for the trans cooler? Thanks, Larry
Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Tom Piper,
Do you remember the trans temp before the cooler was installed? Any Pix ?.It looks like it is really working well for you. Thanks for the info
I didn't put a transmission temperature gauge in until after puttiing the additional cooler in place.
So, I really don't have any specs to go by.

Keep in mind, I've made some changes that keep the coolant cooler too.
So, the stock transmission cooler in the radiator is probably keeping the transmission fluid temperature lower when it gets to my second cooler.

I don't have any pictures, I'll try to find my wife's digital camera.

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 09-16-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Originally Posted by larryabbott
Tom Piper,
Was the Power Steering cooler an option or is it stock (I have a '92)? If my car has no PS cooler then that "space" would be open for the trans cooler? Thanks, Larry

I think the power steering cooler was standard equipment on all '92 and up.

My second power steering cooler (the one I use for the transmission cooler) is mounted backwards against the original power steering cooler using the same mounting hardware.

Tom Piper
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
shop14
Instructor

it looks like you are running a 160 thermostat with modified fans-is that correct? I have a stock 180 stat I wonder how many degrees it would cool .My trans runs between is 200-225.my radiator temps are 194-198 (with dewitt rad) are you also using the radiator in series for cooling the transmission ?
yes, i have a 160 stat and my fans come on at 184 but i also have a 3 core rad.that is what made all the difference in the cooling temps not the thermostat.the tranny cooler is by itself only, i did not want to pick up any heat from the coolant so its straight to the trans.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Just to clarify I think the L98 cars only came with PS coolers with Z51.. However, the LT1 cars all have PS coolers (or at the very least my non-Z51 car does)..

Also the link provided earlier was a great link but for a L98 car which has different mount locations than your 1995 coupe does..

Here is a link to my install.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1808390

It is for a 1993 LT1 with a stroker 383 in Florida.. on 96* days with the A/C on full bvlast (60* and recirc) my engine runs about 185-195 omving and around 200-210 in stop and go.. My temps seem to be uneffected by the additional cooler.. which is huge (stacked plate B&M racing cooler 10"x11")

this is also with the stock radiator, 185* thermostat and the fans reprogrammed...

Get notified of new replies

To best location for trans cooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best location for trans cooler