C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

BigStuff 3 for a blown 383

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Default BigStuff 3 for a blown 383

Has anyone converted to a BS3 unit? Any install considerations??????

I've been working through a buddy of mine who knows John Meaney, he is custom building a system for my blown 383 this weekend which will have a data-logger. I should have the unit next week.

The guys down at BackStreet Performance in Ohio will do the install and dyno tune.

I cannot friggin wait!!!!!!

I thought you would like to see the beast he is building now.....

Last edited by 85 Stalker; 09-30-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's an awesome looking set up! I don't have any experience with BS3, but I'm very interested in hearing about your results. Please keep us posted.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 Stalker
Has anyone converted to a BS3 unit? Any install considerations??????

I've been working through a buddy of mine who knows John Meaney, he is custom building a system for my blown 383 this weekend which will have a data-logger. I should have the unit next week.
Just curious, but what is so custom about your BS3 unit? Data logging is a part of the base GEN3 system.

Also, whose harness are you using to keep your guages working? I used a Fasttrack Performance harness on my FAST, but when I went standalone, BS3 was so new and nobody had jumper harnesses for it.

Lastly, I saw your car at the Hot Rod Power tour in Cleveland. It's pretty awesome! Good luck with it.

Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 AM
0EPP
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pic's are awesome!
We use and install the BigStuff3, and it certainly makes tuning much easier. Bob
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonRed89
Just curious, but what is so custom about your BS3 unit? Data logging is a part of the base GEN3 system.
They need to customize a harness and the DAI for this TPI type of early application, I'll have more specifics on the hardware modifications today. This is honestly above my head, so I'm trusting the experts
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Speaking of BS3, that car looks exactly like John Meanie's TT corvette. Nice work!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

That car is crap, it doesn't even have air conditioning j/k

It does look alot like John's setup. I'm betting its going to FLY. I'd hate to see the price tag though. I'll stick with my measly 600+hp

Are you running a 6-speed or auto with that setup?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

They need to customize a harness and the DAI for this TPI type of early application, I'll have more specifics on the hardware modifications today. This is honestly above my head, so I'm trusting the experts
Interesting. I have always been a fan of the BS3, and casually browsing the site would lead you to believe that it was designed to work with TPI and do data logging out of the box.

Are you going to try the dual WB02 option on your car so you can get readings from both headers? Is BS3 building you the harness which will keep your digi-dash working? I think you'll like the setup once its tuned. I'm having great results with my FAST, and BS3 adds a couple of nice things especially for boosted guys and people who need TCC lockup and AC Clutch control.

Hell, if you're going to be in Cleveland during your dyno tuning session, I'd love to see that beast run. Been to a couple of car shows over at Backstreet in Medina some time back.

Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Brand-X
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any photos of how they are addressing clearance for the downpipes?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
Speaking of BS3, that car looks exactly like John Meanie's TT corvette. Nice work!!!
This is John's - I WISH IT WAS MINE

Hell, if you're going to be in Cleveland during your dyno tuning session, I'd love to see that beast run. Been to a couple of car shows over at Backstreet in Medina some time back.
I just got off the phone with Rich. They are going to head down to Texas Wednesday, and will not be back until the 15th. If I have the BS3 box in hand tommorow, Emillio will start the install, and they will tune it when they return. I'll shoot you a PM when they are going to do the tune. Those guys are amazing to deal with.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 PM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Are you going to try the dual WB02 option on your car so you can get readings from both headers? Is BS3 building you the harness which will keep your digi-dash working?
I forgot to add they are configuring it so it will work with the existing set-up, and we will run dual WBO2.

So it looks like I will have a new MSD6AL and MSD Boost Controller for eBay.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

This is John's - I WISH IT WAS MINE

I just got off the phone with Rich. They are going to head down to Texas Wednesday, and will not be back until the 15th. If I have the BS3 box in hand tommorow, Emillio will start the install, and they will tune it when they return. I'll shoot you a PM when they are going to do the tune. Those guys are amazing to deal with.
That's cool. I'd love to see it. Did you move to Ohio recently? I swore that when I saw your car a few months back at the I-X center that it had michigan plates.

Ron
Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mn_vette
That car is crap, it doesn't even have air conditioning j/k

It does look alot like John's setup. I'm betting its going to FLY. I'd hate to see the price tag though. I'll stick with my measly 600+hp

Are you running a 6-speed or auto with that setup?
Looks like the a/c compressor is mounted in front of the passenger side valve covers. Also, I was told, to keep the MSD 6AL BTM in case you get a load of bad gas and need to back off the timing to get you home. Figure it was easier than breaking out the laptop and trying to readjust the timing.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by BAM92
Looks like the a/c compressor is mounted in front of the passenger side valve covers. Also, I was told, to keep the MSD 6AL BTM in case you get a load of bad gas and need to back off the timing to get you home. Figure it was easier than breaking out the laptop and trying to readjust the timing.
Not a bad idea Any feeling about the boost control unit?

FYI -- This is where I have them mounted currently, so removal is a piece of cake.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=85 Stalker;1562111534]Has anyone converted to a BS3 unit? Any install considerations??????

The guys down at BackStreet Performance in Ohio will do the install and dyno tune.

I cannot friggin wait!!!!!!

Your car is even the same color as Meaneys. What heads are you running 18's? Looks great.
BTW I am running BS3 I bought it through Mike Moran. Both Meaney and Moran are top notch.
Hope your pulling the dana for a 9"
John
Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

Your car is even the same color as Meaneys.
didn't he have a ZR1 ?

anyway.... MAN, that is on hell of a car !
Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

So what is Meaney doing to the car now?
It actually looks that same as it did with maybe a bit of powder coat black.... and possibly a new drysump?

Also he gutted the front plasitic, and maybe built up a new radiator intercooler housing?
Any more pics?

Get notified of new replies

To BigStuff 3 for a blown 383

Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Brand-X
Any photos of how they are addressing clearance for the downpipes?
When the infamous article was done, the exhaust was never finished, is was let hanging.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
TONYDEE64
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
When the infamous article was done, the exhaust was never finished, is was let hanging.
How loud would that be with just having the turbos muffle the sound?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TONYDEE64
How loud would that be with just having the turbos muffle the sound?

Its Loud with just a turbo as a muffler. I've tried it, definately not recomended for a street car.

Quick Reply: BigStuff 3 for a blown 383