C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Nitrogen Fill for the Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
easy2no
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrogen Fill for the Tires

Nitrogen fill for tires is new and their is a lot of talk about it... Vette owners are a lot "in tune" with their car and handling...

Anyone using Nitrogen tire fill in their daily street driven machine??? I have read all the reports about how air contains oxygen and moisture that rots the tires, corrides the wheels and requires top-off every month... I know the nitrogen gas doesn't leak through the tires like regular air, keeping pressure at a constant level.

But before I make the purge ( ) I want to hear from some members who have used it and (hopefully) will share their experience and was the change worth it...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Zix
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Air" is mostly nitrogen anyway, so I personally just don't buy into it.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by Zix
"Air" is mostly nitrogen anyway, so I personally just don't buy into it.
Plain old air is 70%-80% nitrogen, so what is it you're gaining.

Waste of time and money, IMO.....
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had Nitrogen in the tires on my Buick. They filled it up with it when I bought new tires. I didnt notice much a difference to be honest and they wanted $5 to refill the tires with it, screw that. It lasts just as long as air in your tires as well. However, I could see where if you inflated your tires with just Nitrogen that it would eliminate moisture, but it doesnt help when you have to refill with regular air.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Waste of time and money on a street car. You will not notice the difference.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing new about it - Costco has been pumping it into everything they install for at least 10 years. If there's any benefit, I don't see it - much for the same reasons as stated above. And when I add air, my cars get whatever my compressor can pump out - at least I've got a filter on it to hold back any moisture (or I guess if I was really **** about it, I could wait until we have one of those Santa Ana days where the humidity is about 5%).
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
easy2no
Instructor

Compressed air is your tire’s worst enemy. Air is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other. Nitrogen is inert, non combustible and non corrosive. Oxygen, on the other hand, is immensely destructive to rubber and other tire materials. As soon as a tire is manufactured and exposed to air, the effects of “oxidation” begin to deteriorate the rubber. Over time it loses its elasticity and strength, just like an old rubber band you’ve probably found around your home. This same process occurs in tires inflated with air as the oxygen attacks the rubber molecules, working from the inside out, until the oxygen, and it destructive properties, permeates the tire structure and ultimately the tread.
I have yet to wear out a set of tires on my 92LT1, but replace them due to sidewall cracking and hardness (stiff ride) 9/07 Corvette Magazine has a story on Nitrogen fill and that was why I asked...

Last edited by easy2no; 09-25-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Don't they run nitrogen in the Nascars? I think it helps keep tire temps more constant.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Don't they run nitrogen in the Nascars? I think it helps keep tire temps more constant.
Yes. It prevents the tire pressure from growing so much due to the heat.
The real problem is getting all of the wet air out of a tire before filling with nitro.
If you are driving a race car, then go for it.
If you are driving a street car, then forget it.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
BigLee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont bother trying to nitrogen fill your tires for street use.

ive havent seen any old street tires pulled off, that showed signs of cracking or "dry rotting" from the inside before.
it may offer some very small improvement in pressure stability, but it would likely be quite small at best...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I only do it because I have free access to a tank of Nitrogen.

But, the points are vaild and most major tire shops are moving in that direction. Aircraft have used it just about forever for some of the same reasons. Moisture at altitude etc.

Nitrogen generation machines are still pretty expensive so small shops will be awhile.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Urban legend with no substantiation beyond pseudo-science or misinterpreted anecdotal experience.

Tire shops do it so they can charge more or so they can provide a perceived upgrade over competition.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 AM
xflagz51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Urban legend with no substantiation beyond pseudo-science or misinterpreted anecdotal experience.

Tire shops do it so they can charge more or so they can provide a perceived upgrade over competition.
Well said CentralCoaster. I just recently put new tires on my Tahoe at the Tire Warehouse (big tire retailer up here in the Northeast) and they were pushing the nitrogen fill. They offered it as part of a road hazard plan that seemed way to expensive, so I passed on it. They use the road hazard to scare people into it, which is total crap. They have been filling tire with nitrogen for the last million or so years in stock car racing at almost every level, and it does work. Go ahead and do it if you have an ultra cheap source, but don't pay these tire shops the stupid prices that they want for a nitrogen fill. BTW, I have never had a tire fail from the inside.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Save your money. Down here, they want $34.95 and I just couldn't justify that on air.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Tire shops do it so they can charge more.

We have a winner.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

In the race cars, we run nitrogen in the tires to keep the pressure buildup on the track to a minimum. The psi buildup is about half of what we get with compressed air but this varies with to the moisture content coming out of the compressor.
Before a nitrogen fill, the air is vacuumed out or the racing slick.

The guys putting nitrogen in their street tires are the reason infomercials do so well. Some people will buy anything.

Everyone that's had a tire go bad because they filled it with aaaaaaa air, please raise your hand.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I got a question, how do you get the O2 air out of your tires? Do they evac it like the A/C? Doesn't the outside of the tire get exposed to the "Bad O2 air?" The only time I see the inside of a used tire looking bad is when someone used "Slime." My tires don't last long enough to worry about breakdown from the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To Nitrogen Fill for the Tires

Old 09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we should switch to hydrogen. .Wonder how much that would lighten a car?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Muffin
I think we should switch to hydrogen. .Wonder how much that would lighten a car?
No, you can't use hydrogen........
The first slight bump you hit, your car would bounce 30 feet in the air...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
xflagz51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
No, you can't use hydrogen........
The first slight bump you hit, your car would bounce 30 feet in the air...
....then when it comes down from the 30 foot bounce, if you're really lucky, then you may see pieces of the car 300 feet in the air. When do we start?

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Fill for the Tires