C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need help on tuning accel calmap gen 7

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on tuning accel calmap gen 7

Hi,

I am new to this forum and need some help on tuning. I have just rebuilt a 400 small block and have installed it in a 85 corvette, 30 over, 4340 scat crank and rods, speed pro hyperutenic pistons, TPIS intake, 1160 throttle body, 42 lb injectors, comp 600 lift cam and roller rockers, edelbrock heads, an acecel dfi gen 7 stand alone system, I have just purchased a wide band for it. Headers, 11 to 1 compression ratio. I have not dyno tuned it yet but I suspect it is some what north of 450 hspwer at the flywheel. The installer has done a pretty good job of installing and setting up, but I need a killer tuner who is really good with the accel gen 7. As long as he is on the west coast anywhere west of Utah. Any suggestions would be gladly received.

Thanks,

Wayne Nelson
Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

So, Wayne, Did the installer set-up your wideband O2 when he did the installation? Have you looked at the A/F readings at various VE cell positions in open loop to see how far off base you are? If you are not running sequential, and don't plan to, you can come pretty darn close just driving the car around with a passenger seat tuner. You can also run some data logging runs and post them for help. I haven't tried the remote connection capability that Accel Gen VII offers, but if you do have access to a dyno it is possible to do a web based tune using a remote expert over conference. That would be interesting to try IMHO. If I can help in anyway let me know, unfortunately StL Mo. is on the wrong side of the Rockies.

Bullshark
Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Default wide band

We have not set up the wide band yet. The Eccel came with a narrow band. We have the Accel distributor and have set the system up with sequential injection. The car runs high 12s with street tires at 4500 ft
but I feel that there is 20/30 horsepower left in the motor/tuning
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
We have not set up the wide band yet. The Eccel came with a narrow band. We have the Accel distributor and have set the system up with sequential injection. The car runs high 12s with street tires at 4500 ft
Oh, sounds like you already have a pretty good baseline. My guess is that there is a good chance you can get 20-30 hp by just seat of the pants re-tuning with the WB. It will be hard to get any benefit out of the sequential setup without putting it on a dyno and varying individual fuel injector coefficients though....maybe you already know all this and that's why your looking for the expert.

Bullshark
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Default wide band

Exactly, I am looking to lean out the fuel on the low end, and ***** to the wall at wot.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
I would recommend getting that wide band installed, and then play with some of the tuning yourself before seeking expert level advice. I did a lot with my FAST before seeking additional help and it's a fairly easy system to use. I've seen the Accel stuff, and it's also pretty easy. If you're looking for someone to come in and tune for you, I can recommend a guy who used to work for both FAST and Accel. He came to Cleveland and tuned my car, and we pulled 410RWHP on a Mustang dyno, and the car drives like it it's absolutely bone stock (from a smoothness perspective). While this guy is not necessarily close to you, you may wish to consult him on a remote engagement, or just fly him out. You won't be disappointed by his work. Let me know if you're interested, and I can get you some contact info.

Ron
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Default accel tuning

Ron, thanks,

I have been recommened Tom from Portland. I have gen 7 system I have is 3 years old, so before I go to Portland I am going to have the box upgraded, when I get that back I will install the wide band, and make a quick trip to Portland for a strong dyno tune. There are some things I want to have done that I think is beyond my ability.

Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To need help on tuning accel calmap gen 7

Quick Reply: need help on tuning accel calmap gen 7