C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gear Drive on L98?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
scorpion5150
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Drive on L98?

True you can't run a gear drive on the L98 engine? Knock sensor problems? Timing cover issues with short water pump? Easy obstacles to overcome?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
all show and more go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u mean a gear driven s/c? if so u might be able to fit it if the brackets are long enough but then u'll prob hit the fan!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
scorpion5150
Advanced

Originally Posted by all show and more go
u mean a gear driven s/c? if so u might be able to fit it if the brackets are long enough but then u'll prob hit the fan!
I was referring to the timing set.. Like a pete jackson or edelbrock or other brand timing gear drive. Sorry, guess I should have been a little more specific.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:14 PM
bigbob1
Advanced

I am curious about this as well. I am ready to do new heads and cam. I would love to here the whine of a gear drive system. I know the nock sensor will give you problems. There has gotta be some way to get around it.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:30 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Some claim you dont get knock counts with it I might be inclined to disagree. Is it worth all the work to find out?

IMO do yourself a favor and stick with a chain unless youre building some carbureted street rod you only have out a few times a month on cruise night.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Some claim you dont get knock counts with it I might be inclined to disagree. Is it worth all the work to find out?

IMO do yourself a favor and stick with a chain unless youre building some carbureted street rod you only have out a few times a month on cruise night.
I agree! I kinda like the 'gear-whine' sounds of the gear drives too, but having seen/listened to dozens of small block Chevs/Vettes with these things, over the years - I would say don't do it. I know, some outfits make 'low-noise' versions of these drives, but the ones I've heard are still not that quiet that I would want it in a daily driver! Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:14 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Besides a gear drive is not a good idea in most cases, no matter how quiet (or noisy if you prefer). The gears transmit much more of the crankshaft harmonics to the camshaft and valve train, than a chain. A belt drive transmits even less.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 AM
scorpion5150
Advanced

Originally Posted by Can86Z51
I agree! I kinda like the 'gear-whine' sounds of the gear drives too, but having seen/listened to dozens of small block Chevs/Vettes with these things, over the years - I would say don't do it. I know, some outfits make 'low-noise' versions of these drives, but the ones I've heard are still not that quiet that I would want it in a daily driver! Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Ok guys.. (FLAME SUIT ON) I come from the world of 5.0 mustangs. One day I decided I wanted to be fast in a straight line, AND around a corner, so I switched over to chevy. Running a gear drive on the 5.0 I almost feel like something is missing when I turn the key on the vette. You would be surprised how intimidated the ricers get when they hear a gear drive whining. I almost feel like I NEED to have it.. My exhaust is wide open and C4s are so noisy anyway I don't care about loud. So what's required to make it work guys? Also anyone know of any downfalls to gear drive rather than conventional chain sets?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:41 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion5150
Also anyone know of any downfalls to gear drive rather than conventional chain sets?
See post #7.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM
scorpion5150
Advanced

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
See post #7.

RACE ON!!!
I did - our posts are 3 mins. apart and I'd bet we were both posting at the same time! Thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Gear Drive on L98?

Quick Reply: Gear Drive on L98?