C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New noise from rear axle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 12:04 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Default New noise from rear axle...

Yesterday my 92 auto started making a new sound. :eek: Here's the deal: when I'm accelerating briskly, between 20 mph and 40 mph I hear an accelerating clicking sound which seems to be coming from the rear driver's side. The clicks increase in frequency as the car accelerates, but the instant I ease up on the gas, they go away. Under gentle acceleration I hear nothing, but who wants to accelerate gently with a vette? Going faster than 40 I hear no clicking even when I go WOT. Also, it seems that once the car is warmed up the sound disappears, but not always.

The rear end is the usual 2.59 differential, and the car has about 74,000 miles on it. Should I be worried? What might be doing this? The U-joints on a half-shaft? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:50 PM
DETROITc4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (MTVette)

mine does the same thing i have noticed also a metal grinding sound, i have no idea what it is either, any help will be appreciated
save the wae :seeya
Old 11-14-2001, 02:09 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (DETROITc4)

I had similar noise on my car and it ended up being the u-joints. The factory u-joints do not have a grease fitting and when I pulled the drivers side (side I was getting the noise) it was completly dry. New u-joints came with grease fittings, and install was not too difficult.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:02 AM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (Rick86)

Now I'm wondering if it's something in the brakes. Isn't there a wear sensor that makes noise when it's time for a brake job?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:48 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had similar noise on my car and it ended up being the u-joints. The factory u-joints do not have a grease fitting and when I pulled the drivers side (side I was getting the noise) it was completly dry. New u-joints came with grease fittings, and install was not too difficult.
Same here. :yesnod: check those U-joints
Old 11-15-2001, 12:51 PM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Now I'm wondering if it's something in the brakes. Isn't there a wear sensor that makes noise when it's time for a brake job?
Just Suggestions:

Feel the rotor for deeper than normal grooves caused by the wear sensors. If thats OK then check your parking brake cables and make sure they're attached and working properly. The parking brake on the 92 uses the caliper/pads so if it's out of adjustment maybe it's not relieving the pressure all the way. A couple months back I discovered both PB cables were disconnected. Mine are the old school style inside the rotor akin to the drum type. When I connected them I lost alot of rear end noise.

Hope you find it whatever it is. :flag

-John

[Modified by War Machine, 10:56 AM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 06:37 PM
Crazy Canuck
Advanced

Has anyone figured out what is causing this noise? My car has just started to do the exact same thing. Under acceleration there is a pulsating sound like the tires are rubbing against the inner fender. It is not a steady sound, so it must be coming from something oblong. The noise also gets louder the harder you punch the throttle, but when you let off, it dissappears. I've spent hours under the car searching for anything rubbing on the wheels, tires, brakes, half shafts or driveshaft, but there are no marks on anything.
Has anyone found out what this is? :(
Old 11-25-2001, 06:39 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (Crazy Canuck)

Has anyone figured out what is causing this noise?
He replaced his u-joints a couple of days ago and all is good now! :)
Old 11-25-2001, 07:25 PM
95autoLT1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (scorp508)

If you guys drag race do not use u-joints with the grease fittings!!!!!They are prone to shattering :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-26-2001, 08:56 AM
GlennS87
Burning Brakes

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (95autoLT1)

I'm in the midst of this myself. I brought it to my mechanic over the weekend and he inspected the rear end. He found that my rear leaf spring had split. That explained the poor ride quality I've been experiencing over the last 2 weeks. He visually inspected the U- joints and he thinks they are ok. Obviously if the sound continues after I replace the spring (I'm doing all four shocks also) then the u-joints will probably have to be changed also.

[Modified by GlennS87, 7:58 AM 11/26/2001]
Old 11-26-2001, 01:07 PM
Hawaii89vette
Racer

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (GlennS87)

It sounds like the U-Joints. Mine did the same. I changed mines and all is much better. To check if they are bad, lift up the car. From underneath the car, grab each end of the driveshaft/halfshaft one at a time and try to see if there is any play/movement in the u-joints. It should be very firm and not move. If there is, then you have bad u-joints. Since my car is an 89, I changed all six of my u-joints. 2 on the driveshaft, 2 on each halfshaft. A lot of work, but I feel alot better since it's done and I don't have to worry about them for a long while. Luckily, I do all the work myself, so no labor costs other than a few packs of beer.

-Tim
Old 11-26-2001, 05:52 PM
Crazy Canuck
Advanced

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (Hawaii89vette)

Is it possible to have no play in the joints but still be damaged? I checked mine as best I could, and as far as I could tell there is no play. But it sounds like, from everyones opinion, that the U-Joints are the culprit.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:22 PM
LT5
Le Mans Master

Sounds about right. :cheers:
Old 11-26-2001, 10:40 PM
Hawaii89vette
Racer

Default Re: New noise from rear axle... (Crazy Canuck)

Yes, you can have no play in the u-joints and it still makes noise. Then, the bearings could be all dried up... no grease to lubricate it. If there's no play in the u-joints, then you have to make a judgement call to which u-joints it is. or you might just change them all like I did. If the u-joints are over 10years old, then it's time to change them. Cost of changing the u-joints is minimal, if you do all the labor (Each u-joint is about $10-$20 each, depending on regular or sportier versions). Usually takes about 3hrs for each pair of u-joints on each of two halfshafts. The driveshaft u-joints may take a little longer due to the requirement of dropping the whole exhaust. It took me about 5 hours. All these times maybe a little longer, but I tend to take my time and clean everything up very nice before i put it all back together.

-Tim

-Tim

Get notified of new replies

To New noise from rear axle...

Quick Reply: New noise from rear axle...