C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight will not pop up, has good bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Travis93
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight will not pop up, has good bushings

My passenger side headlight decided to quit moving on me. It would start to open up and stop pointed strait down. I could get out of the car and move it around by hand and it would just flop around but always flopped back to pointing strait down when I let go of it. I thought OK bad bushings got some on order even paid extra to get them here quick.
Took it apart today to put in my new bushings and crap nothing wrong with the ones in there. I put it back together after cleaning it up a bit and it sort of works. Moves about half way around stutters then continued opening, I know it’s just a matter of time before it quits completely again. I could not find anything in the FSM anyone out there have any ideas for me?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Travis93
Racer

I should also mention that the motor continues running for a few seconds after the light is fully opened or closed too.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Travis93
Racer

Ok I had to be doing something so I took it all apart again and thought I would post what I found incase it helps someone out in the future. The shaft that runs through the aluminum part that the bushings sit in was slipping. I thought it was odd that no one had mentioned how hard it was to get the nylon gear out of the housing, it was because my shaft had slipped down and bound things up. I actually had to remove the motor from the gear head the first time to get it apart. DO NOT REMOVE THE MOTOR IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. Getting it all back together with the brushes in place and not loosing the springs is not fun. Anyway after a second look I found the shaft slipping and pushed it back into place and pinned it. Here are a couple pictures, hope they help.

All works good for now and I have 2 sets of bushings ready for when they do go out on me.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Daves91softtop
Cruising

My 91 has the same problem. I have never messed with one of these headlights and I was wondering if you have more detailed procedures for the repair that you did to your car.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys i'm not real sure how the later model headlights work, i've only worked on the early ones with 2 gears.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daves91softtop
My 91 has the same problem. I have never messed with one of these headlights and I was wondering if you have more detailed procedures for the repair that you did to your car.

Thanks
I did the bushings on my '91 and used this http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2002...hts/light1.asp
for reference. Helped immensely and had no problems.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:34 PM
dboldt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just replaced bushings on my 89'

I just replaced the bushings on my 89'. The most detailed instructions were found at Corvette Magazine. Take the entire light assembly out then remove the motor. First side took two hours. Other side took 30 minutes. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis93
it was because my shaft had slipped down and bound things up
We know how troublesome that can be

Thanks for the good info and pics!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Allentown Ernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Headlight motor repair.

Just did my pass, side bushings with following corvette mags instructions. Follow them to the letter, I did. Take your time and it will go just as they tell you. My repair made the light work like new. The part about the set screw and loosening the motor screws is very importent. Do it just as they tell you and things will work out just fine. Mine did. Allentown Ernie.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Travis93
Racer

Well it made it about a week before failing again. Took it all apart again and JB welded it, will try and post some pictures tomorrow. I hope it holds this time. That motor must crank hard to tear stuff up like this.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Travis93
Racer

Finally have time to post what happened to mine.

For those that do not know the shaft should not come out of the round piece that the gears go on.

There it is glued back in with some JB Weld, I hope it holds this time. So far so good next time I will be drilling holes and pin the (explanative) thing together.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight will not pop up, has good bushings

Quick Reply: Headlight will not pop up, has good bushings