C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How well does your car blow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How well does your car blow?

Hello,

Been tracking down this HVAC problem for a year now intermittently. Someone this week posted a thread about their heat giving them problems so I decided to start working on my system again. I managed (how I don't even know) to get the system to finally switch where the air blows out of (ex. defrost, vents). What I am noticing though is that even though the air is being directed out of the defroster for example, on 10 it is still not blowing particularly hard.

This is a hard question to ask because unless you are in my car it would be hard for you to determine if my air is blowing hard enough, but generally, do they blow pretty well or can you just feel some heat rising out of the vent even though the heat is on full blast? Is their some sort of filter in the system somewhere that could be clogged or something?

Finally, and this drives me particularly nuts in the summer. Even when the system is off, and I keep the interior temp at the lowest setting(60*F), the floor vents still blow a good amount of hot air at about 75MPH. Do all the vettes blow air?

Dan
Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Danspeed1
Drifting

ttt
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

After I cleaned my evap core there was plenty of air.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
After I cleaned my evap core there was plenty of air.

That's nasty.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsup
That's nasty.

Is there anyway I can take a look at the evap core without having to rip the whole dash out... (sorry if this is a stupid question, the car is not around right now for me to run out and take a look)

Were you actually able to "clean" that or did you just replace it?

DG
Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1

Is there anyway I can take a look at the evap core without having to rip the whole dash out... (sorry if this is a stupid question, the car is not around right now for me to run out and take a look)

Were you actually able to "clean" that or did you just replace it?

DG
I cleaned it, if you search on my name and evap you should find my old topic on it. I just took out the blower motor and used a camera to look at the evap core. The whole operation was not hard nor did it take long. Here is a picture after cleaning it:

A plugged core could be your trouble but there are other causes to.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM
ramiles
Instructor

Curious - what makes that gunk and what are the factors that cause it to build up - is it simply the environment where you live (NJ?) - is there a way to filter the air to avoid that build up?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM
badabing9
Instructor

Originally Posted by ramiles
Curious - what makes that gunk and what are the factors that cause it to build up - is it simply the environment where you live (NJ?) - is there a way to filter the air to avoid that build up?
could have been a refrigerant leak sometime in the history of the car as refrigerant contains oil.

Get notified of new replies

To How well does your car blow?

Quick Reply: How well does your car blow?