C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone used these intakes before? (First TPI)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You think the mini-ram is better than the stealth-ram for a mild cam?
CC502 cam 218/224 @.050/495/503 lift 112lsa
I honestly do not know.... in my opinion, the HSR is kind of an intake in between the Superram and Miniram..... will not quite get the rpm/HP of a mini-ram, but will make more torque, but it will not quite make as much torque as the superram, but more HP.....

In any regards, the best reference I have is the prior mentioned Vic, who I believe ran the TPIS ZZ9 cam with the Miniram in his 89..... I believe the ZZ9 is something along the effects of a 212/226 @ .050 and somewhere around .520 lift or thereabouts. (Its been a lot of years since I looked at the cam, so do not remember exact specs, but it is a mild hyd roller) He coerced somewhere around an 11.3 @ 120 mph out of that combination with a loose converter..... that is downright impressive in my mind, especially for a cam so mild..... if you have ever driven a 12 second car, you know it feels quick.... his low 11 second car would make it feel like the 12 second car is sitting still.....

Having said that, the real answer more than likely lies in what the rest of your set-up is going to be starting with converter/gear combination..... if you're going to a run something fairly tight converter like a 2500-2800 rpm converter.... the HSR is probably a better match, if you're willing to loosen it up to 3000 rpm or even a little more.... the Miniram is probably a better match...... but they'll be close to each either regardless of which is my best guess.....

good luck with whatever you choose
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
I honestly do not know.... in my opinion, the HSR is kind of an intake in between the Superram and Miniram..... will not quite get the rpm/HP of a mini-ram, but will make more torque, but it will not quite make as much torque as the superram, but more HP.....

In any regards, the best reference I have is the prior mentioned Vic, who I believe ran the TPIS ZZ9 cam with the Miniram in his 89..... I believe the ZZ9 is something along the effects of a 212/226 @ .050 and somewhere around .520 lift or thereabouts. (Its been a lot of years since I looked at the cam, so do not remember exact specs, but it is a mild hyd roller) He coerced somewhere around an 11.3 @ 120 mph out of that combination with a loose converter..... that is downright impressive in my mind, especially for a cam so mild..... if you have ever driven a 12 second car, you know it feels quick.... his low 11 second car would make it feel like the 12 second car is sitting still.....

Having said that, the real answer more than likely lies in what the rest of your set-up is going to be starting with converter/gear combination..... if you're going to a run something fairly tight converter like a 2500-2800 rpm converter.... the HSR is probably a better match, if you're willing to loosen it up to 3000 rpm or even a little more.... the Miniram is probably a better match...... but they'll be close to each either regardless of which is my best guess.....

good luck with whatever you choose
I have already did.. I have a 3.07 rear and 2400 stall to install then I'm done.. er for now

1991 TPI stock long block 113 heads
Custom HSR
stock 48mm TB
Bosch III 24# injectors and AFPR
Scorpion 1.5 roller rockers
Headman Elite LT with Magnaflow Stainless Cat-Back
Old 05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z01#316
U are right, my comment was an over-generalization and oversimplified.

There are those here, such as urself, that are truly into performance and do go to the tracks to have fun and run whatcha brung. Unfortunately some are concerned with "my dad can beat ur dad" syndrome and want those braggin rights I spoke of. Those are the ones I directed my comment to. I, too, would like for the company, FIRST to step up to the plate and do a real world test of their intake against the Superram, HSR , miniram, and the Superram, all other parameters being equal.
I stand by my view that the FIRST is one hell of a street intake, and is overlooked by many as a viable alternative to other, more renowned intakes.
I'm not beating you up.....it was just a difference of opinion on the one remark. In fact, when speaking along the lines of some of the C5/C6 performance community, I think you are right on the nose.... a lot of them build for the dyno.... which I don't agree with, but to each their own.

I like the First based upon what little I have seen of it..... its all about rpm to me though, if that intake can scrape up to the ability of stretching the HP peak up to around 5600-5800 rpm with a 383..... coupled with the exceptional low rpm torque Long tubes traditionally generate.... that would in effect be emulating a Superram...... which is a good thing, the Superram is a good intake for street cars..... and it needs a true viable replacement like the First Intake that is actually still manufactured. I'm not sold on it yet, but it is promising based the few examples we have seen.....

I'll be watching......
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

I have already did.. I have a 3.07 rear and 2400 stall to install then I'm done.. er for now

1991 TPI stock long block 113 heads
Custom HSR
stock 48mm TB
Bosch III 24# injectors and AFPR
Scorpion 1.5 roller rockers
Headman Elite LT with Magnaflow Stainless Cat-Back
With that said, I think the Superram would give you the best pure et performance..... but the HSR is probably right there neck and neck.

As a note, I think your converter is too tight.... the difference between a 2800-3000 rpm converter vs your 2400 in driveability isn't a lot if the 2800-3000 is a quality converter..... yet the performance improvement would be noticable and more than likely agreeable with you. I once had a 2200-2400 rpm converter in an old set-up.... made the switch to a 3000 rpm 9.5" converter and improved my et by a real 3 tenths.....thats 3 car lengths in a 1320 foot acceleration..... think about it. Driveability between the two was neglible..... but, I concede, driveability is a personal thing and varys greatly from person to person.

cool video

Last edited by Beach Bum; 05-11-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Bum
With that said, I think the Superram would give you the best pure et performance..... but the HSR is probably right there neck and neck.

As a note, I think your converter is too tight.... the difference between a 2800-3000 rpm converter vs your 2400 in driveability isn't a lot if the 2800-3000 is a quality converter..... yet the performance improvement would be noticable and more than likely agreeable with you. I once had a 2200-2400 rpm converter in an old set-up.... made the switch to a 3000 rpm 9.5" converter and improved my et by a real 3 tenths.....thats 3 car lengths in a 1320 foot acceleration..... think about it. Driveability between the two was neglible..... but, I concede, driveability is a personal thing and varys greatly from person to person.

cool video
Well, I already have the rear end but not the converter what brand do you recommend?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Well, I already have the rear end but not the converter what brand do you recommend?
I run a Precision Industries 9.5" 3600 rpm converter nowadays, used to run a 3000..... good converters, but not cheap either. (About $ 800)

But, I think there are a lot of good converter companies. (Some bad too)...... you might want to shoot a pm to forum member Pete K..... I am not sure, but I think he still comes around here and I know he has a ton of experience in this area. (He might even have one that fits your budget)

good luck !
Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
By all rights, I should have. I'm turning my back on about 40hp to stick with the SLP setup. If you saw my pics/build thread, maybe you can figure it out. I chose the SLP for its looks and for the (easier) ability to return to stock -- if the smog ****'s come to Kansas. Plus, it would cost more. I'd have to buy a different dizzy and fuel lines.

Add to that I already had an HSR (that fits under my hood) and a 383, the need for a 3rd option (at a somewhat higher expense) didn't seem necessary.

The super-modifed SLP setup will hit a bit sooner and would keep up with the FIRST until about 4500rpms. For my needs, that's probably enough. If not, I'll throw on an HSR and be fairly close to the FIRST's torque with a little more HP.

The FIRST is a great intake because,,,wait for it,,,it's the closest thing you can get to an HSR that'll fit under your C4 stock hood!
rumor has it the HSR fits under a stock hood with a TB spacer, but we'll see. qws did it so far.

If I do I got a great intake for $500 instead of 1k, that craps out when a mustang blows by me, as I spin my tires
(even if you mill an hsr, and shape it you have a better intake than a mini)
i am not debating hp/tq, just saying the hsr still provides tq and pulls higher I am sure. (if there were more tests on the FIRST I would have it) more simple than the SR.
Also I think the FIRST requires a special adapter for the tb too.

Last edited by pologreen1; 05-12-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:27 AM
1969ss
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand fuel pressure regulator is that in this picture?

Originally Posted by TA
Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM
87stocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1969ss
What brand fuel pressure regulator is that in this picture?
That looks very much like my Professional Products FPR. I dont know if it comes in the anodized blue, mine is natural colour. But I guess its possible.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:15 PM
btr85vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a FIRST setup on craigslist and jumped on it. I'm going to start getting everything I need and then put it together. Its going on a stock 85 for now. I want to get the bugs out so when I get my new motor together I can just tune it and go. Needless to say I'm really stoked and can't wait to get started.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Hose clamps and hose barb fittings on high pressure fuel line?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM
btr85vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Hose clamps and hose barb fittings on high pressure fuel line?
The guy I bought the manifold from was running it with barbs and hose clamps without any problems. This is way too creepy for me so I won't be running it that way. Its the whole "my car is on fire" thing...
Old 05-22-2010, 01:01 PM
87stocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High Pressure. Its like 45psi at most. I ran mine for a month with hose clamps on it. With the right barbed fittings and hose you wouldnt even need clamps. There is clampless barbs on the market. I certainly wouldnt be affraid to run it.

Quick Reply: Anyone used these intakes before? (First TPI)