C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The interior restoration has begun

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 07:57 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The interior restoration has begun

My website has not been updated yet, so it has none of the gory details yet...
My '87 is down for a while for a few increasingly necesary projects.

I started sometime last week when my new carpet set arrived. I had the car mostly gutted (which was actually a vast improvement from its previous state of deterioration) but now, most of the carpet is in and alot of the panels have been re-finished.
Dulso's a PITA! Friggin' GM! :mad It was probably Doug Nash's idea :D

The driver side carpet is in, a bit of the passenger side, and the rear will be complete soon, but one question, how in the world does that rearmost piece of carpet fit in?! :confused: It's 1 huge piece that covers the hatch floor from the storage compartments to the top of the rear wall. Does it tuck in under the hatch shade somehow? Should I trim it and glue it? It does not look like the original carpet was glued to the rear wall (but then again, the original carpet fell off of the rear wall so there goes that theory :lol: )...

The vinyl dye that Ecklers sells for the door panels is a bit dissappointing: the black dye turns out more of a dark-ish grey, though it does not look like it's going to stick to the panels for very long anyhow :( And man o man does it get used up fast! (and at ~$15 a can, irritating is an understatement :eek: )

All in all, its progressing nicely! :yesnod:
Old 11-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: The interior restoration has begun (A)

Does it tuck in under the hatch shade somehow

yes. there's 4 "spikes" for it too.
Old 11-20-2001, 09:11 PM
Romeo Barrera
Le Mans Master

Come pick up your friggin' seats!! They're takin' up too much space in my bedroom!! :p: :) Give me a call Bryant, I just got them today :cheers:
Old 11-20-2001, 11:33 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The interior restoration has begun (Smash)

Gracias! :)

Now how do I remove the hatch shade for a few minutes so I can get it in there all clean like? :smash:

Romeo, I'll call ya manana mein :D :cool:

[Modified by A, 9:34 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 11:40 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

you have to start at the top... remove the plastic trim around the hatch... kinda goes downhill from there...
Old 11-21-2001, 11:07 AM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The interior restoration has begun (bogus)

Well, I've got all of the plastic trim off of that area, but I don't remember seeing any obvious way of removing the shade... I'll look again tonight I guess
Old 11-21-2001, 02:12 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not have to remove the shade (didn't want to anyhow). Only the 3 pieces of molding. Once you get the 3 trim pieces off, you'll see 4 bolts that stick up through the rear carpet, with speed nuts on them. Those speed nuts can be unscrewed with a socket (to preserve them for reuse).

I took the old carpet and laid it on top of the new piece. A little trimming was necessary on the end that goes up under the shade. Then, using a 1/2" drill, I drilled the 4 holes in the carpet. Took less than 10 minutes to install it.

No, the carpet is not fastened or glued anywhere else. Those four bolts hold it at the rear, the velcro and hatch locks hold it in the front. The new carpet is easily slid under the shade to get it to those 4 bolts. pretty simple (compared to some other things you'll encounter).
Old 11-21-2001, 07:26 PM
A
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The interior restoration has begun (gh86E)

...compared to some other things you'll encounter).
Amen :D :smash:
Old 11-21-2001, 09:23 PM
Grand Trunk
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The shade has a spring in it that thrusts little tongues on the the ends of the shade into little grooves in the side of the car. Get in there with a long screwdriver and pry one end away from the car and pop it out. I've always worked on the end on the right side of the car. Don't know why, that's just the way I've always done it.

Get notified of new replies

To The interior restoration has begun

Quick Reply: The interior restoration has begun