C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinion of Hedman header 68440

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 01:30 AM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion of Hedman header 68440

Thinking about buying these they're for a c4 with out the air tubes. They're only 99 bucks. I'd rather have a nice set of coated tpis's but i aint made of money ;) They'd go nice with my ported intake and cam i plan on installing.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:22 AM
purple jinx
Racer

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (nsimmons)

I have zero experience with headers on a vette, but have had them on several other vehicles. they're fun but a PITA to put on and get sealed right. then they rust through quicker than you would believe and you wish you had waited and got the coated ones. it's well worth the wait and extra cash to get the good stuff. :cheers:
Old 11-21-2001, 10:53 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed headers on my LT1 this past weekend. I can tell you that they were the easiest header install I have ever seen or been a part of. I know a lot of the F-body guys who fight for hours to get headers in place, then fight with the bolts for a long time. I got mine in place in 10 minutes, THEN I fought with the bolts for a long time.

Mine are Hooker Headers, coated. They are very nice pieces but pricey. I would kinda be afraid of $99 headers personally.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:51 AM
black bart
Drifting

Thinking about buying these they're for a c4 with out the air tubes. They're only 99 bucks. I'd rather have a nice set of coated tpis's but i aint made of money ;) They'd go nice with my ported intake and cam i plan on installing.
You only need one word to describe these headers ( junk )
Old 11-21-2001, 05:42 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (black bart)

do you have any experience with them? some fellow 84 owners have them installed and they're quite happy with them
Old 11-21-2001, 08:18 PM
jeffie86/96
Instructor

I ran Heddman headers on my 'Cuda several years ago and was unimpressed with them. :U Where did you even find a listing for them for a C-4? I thought I had searched every header manufacturer trying to get a good deal.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:26 PM
nsimmons
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (jeffie86/96)

a fellow 84 owner mentioned them i checked on hedmans site there listed under passenger cars, there 3 kinds for c4's
Old 11-21-2001, 08:36 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I have no experience with these headers, but do know a saying that has proven itself time after time.

You get what you pay for.........
Old 11-21-2001, 08:44 PM
ezmoney92
Racer

Never used these headers but for $99 they are probably very thin ( pipes & flanges ) which means you'll end up with nothing but problems down the road. I've got a set of Hooker Super Comps, Jet Hot coated, and ordered from Jet Hot directly they were $450. I dont know what the L98 ones run but I would give Jet Hot a call and see what they can get for you and at what price. :seeya
Old 11-21-2001, 09:24 PM
importeater
Racer

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (ezmoney92)

i have seen quite a few 68440 installs...seriously they are underpriced, guys who have said they are junk are focusing on the $99 the primaries are a tad thin 18ga..but they are easy to install EXCEPT the passenger side collector is never in alignment correctly. i notched mine and they fit wonderful. one thing i strongly reccoment is buying some copper or aluminum header to head gaskets and also collectors. summit..whom i'm guessing your getting these from has both. other than that they work great, email me if your interested in doing a dual exhaust off these headers
Old 11-21-2001, 09:27 PM
jeffie86/96
Instructor

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (importeater)

Let me know how it goes if you would please , I am considering a pair for my 86 but my past experience shy's me away from them. It was about 10 years ago.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:31 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (jeffie86/96)

I HAD THEM!

They are junk.
at 99 bucks think of them as replaceable every year, maybe even every 6 months!
I had 2 O2 sensor bungs put in each collector, they hang kind of low, I hit them on speed bumps etc... eventually I got a leak in them that I have not been able to find, nor do I care to look. I went out and picked up a set of TPIS headers awaiting install.

This really is "you get what you pay for!"
The headers are sitting in my garage doing nothing.

As far as putting headers in, I found it fairly easy, just have to heat sheild the starter, and remove a heat sheild from the fuel filter, and reinstall it after the headers are in.

My second problem was keeping the header bolts in the head, they always wanted to back out, and I did not want to put any type of loctite or anything on them.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:35 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

i have seen quite a few 68440 installs...seriously they are underpriced, guys who have said they are junk are focusing on the $99 the primaries are a tad thin 18ga..but they are easy to install EXCEPT the passenger side collector is never in alignment correctly. i notched mine and they fit wonderful. one thing i strongly reccoment is buying some copper or aluminum header to head gaskets and also collectors. summit..whom i'm guessing your getting these from has both. other than that they work great, email me if your interested in doing a dual exhaust off these headers
What I found mainly wrong with them besides what you listed, the sealing surface at the head, the weld inside the primaries sticks out. This is crap IMHO! Reading several articles about headers, this is what puts them in the Junk catagory. good headers dont have a weld lip on the primaries. Some say this is to help seal, I think that is BS! The article said some shop likes to grind them down with a auto body disc sander to help them seal up better. If you try doing that, you better have someone weld up the outside of the primaries to the flange.

[Modified by bill mcdonald, 6:37 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-21-2001, 10:53 PM
importeater
Racer

Default Re: Opinion of Hedman header 68440 (bill mcdonald)

quality control does suffer some but a air die grinder fixed my welds pretty well. if your talking about the flat surface..well all headers poke out and are machined flat i've seen. hooker super comps are the same way which i would actually reccomend over the headmans..i have headmans on my car and they work just fine but in a year or so i'm doing another engine and using the hookers. also i can't imagine the headmans lasting more than 3-4yrs tops on a daily driver car. if this is a concern i would go with the thicker hookers or TPIS headers. the only real benifit of the headmans is the $99, all in all i don't think they are a bad header but some of the plugs are a ***** to change..plug 6 is my favorite..lollolollol :crazy: also some people expect a perfect product out of the box..i personally think this is a bit of a farce in the aftermarket world. nearly every product you buy has to be modified in some way shape or form. some exceptions are the high priced products with a great design and perfect manufacturing. one example are the B&B headers for the Z06...awesome fit, extreme quality, total bolt on..price $1100..
Old 11-21-2001, 11:09 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

yeah 6 was a problem, did you dent your pipe?

I used a spark plug where the tip unscrews, then I ground down the threads on that tip a little for more clearence. This way I could install the plug, then screw in the tip.

At 99 bucks, they did deliver some power, but after a few months my headaches began... I would rather throw down a few hundred more and not have to worry about it, from what I have delt with.

If you have patience with that kind of thing, and a good amount of ground clearence, go for the 99 dollar headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion of Hedman header 68440

Quick Reply: Opinion of Hedman header 68440