C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:47 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ?

Well, I'm still getting the dreaded code 32, I"ve noticed that every morning after the car has completely cooled down for at least 12 -16 hours it starts rough.
The routine is to turn on the ignition, wait about 3 seconds for fuel pump to do it's thing (I don't have to, it's just a habit). Then start the car. The car idles rough kinda coughing like then if I don't do anything else, sometimes it will stall sometimes it will even out. The exhause smells lean during this. What I've found I can do during the morning start up is when I first start the car, let it run rough for about 2-3 seconds, turn off the ignition and restart the car. It runs, idles great, smooth no problems.
My question is, could this be a vacum problem with the egr, stuck egr, solenoid not working, IAC? Since I can turn it off then imediately restart it with good results I wondered if it was a vaccum fill condition of the egr? Any ideas?
Thanks,
I'll post the results from the weekend after I remove the plenum to replace the EGR and solenoid and a bunch of vacum hoses.

Mike
Old 11-21-2001, 05:39 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Default Re: EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ? (Curtis629)

ttt
Old 11-21-2001, 05:51 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year your car? Emission requirements in your state? L98 or LT1 or LT4?
Old 11-21-2001, 05:53 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Mike,

I'm no expert, but I'll see if I can help. Code 32 is EGR problems as you know. Common problem is EGR vacuum hoses are leaking. I would check/replace them all. This is common for a car of this age. I am also assuming that you have not gutted the cats as this can also cause this code.

Regarding your starting problem, I would look at a few areas:

1. Make sure you fuel pressure is good and have you changed your fuel filter lately? This sounds like you pump may not be able to build up enough pressure to start the car.
2. While you check you fuel pressure, see if your injectors are leaking (rapid pressure drop)
3. Check the condition of caps/rotor/wires/plugs. Have you done a good general tune up lately?

You can easily clean the IAC to see if that improves things, but I doubt it. Usually IAC problem result in high idle.

I'm not totally sure that the two problems are necessary related.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2001, 06:15 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Default Re: EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ? (Flame Red)

Thanks, I've put a new fuel pump in a couple of months ago, but haven't changed the filter yet, the vacum lines sounds good and I notice there is one that goes to the regulator I think. The car is a late 86 with AL heads L98, non gutted cats, all emisssions intact.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ?

Quick Reply: EGR, Code 32, IAC , cold start stall ?