C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 12:59 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is?

Just an idea. You could possible rig up two 10lb bottles in there with the spare out.

Of course this might be like having a bomb waiting to be hit, but it can't be any worse than the gas tank above it. (unless those are built to crumple) Although you keep nitrous at pressure, so yeah maybe that would go kaboom, I've seen pics of that.....

So what about it? Install the spare-tire-delete frame, and put those in? Is this suicide? Bottle heaters would be needed for sure during the winter.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:07 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (scorp508)

Sounds like a bad idea to me but I've got nothing to back it up.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:32 PM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (scorp508)

If it does go KABOOM...you won't need to use your frequent flyer miles. I don't know...road heat + exaust heat + compressed gas =
Old 11-21-2001, 01:34 PM
1K SPORT
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Don't you have to turn the bottles on using a **** on the bottle? Seems like it would be a pain.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:36 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (1K SPORT)

Don't you have to turn the bottles on using a **** on the bottle? Seems like it would be a pain.
Remote bottle openers. :yesnod:
Old 11-21-2001, 02:11 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Im no expert at this stuff,but have seen them under the cars on show cars/drag cars before.I think the cars had fuel cells mounted in the trunk and the Nitrous bottles underneath there.Maybe they were just there for flash appeal at the shows.

In a C3 vette I saw 2 bottles in the trunk area but the owner said they were empty and he hadnt used them yet.He had just bought the car that way.Looked nice there but way too conspicous.I mean,what do you tell the cop that pulls you over for going a "little too fast" and he sees those?
:)
For a daily driver,Id think nitrous hanging under there might not be a good idea.
Even with the tire cover in place as a shield.
Theres also a problem running braided lines under the car.Theres no place to hang them attach them without them sitting too low.
I removed my rusted fuel lines from the car and installed braided ones and they were a little too big but I because the old lines were out I had some room to tweak with.After that, no other place I can see,unless you ran the lines through the car somehow inside.

Old 11-21-2001, 02:40 PM
MrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not installed a bottle there and I would not.

Because:

1. it would be to hard to replace them

2. even with a remote bottle opener I would want to open it and close it myself, because I would want my lines to be empty if Im not useing the nitrous.

3. the bottle will get to hot next to the exhaust, if they get to hot the pressure will be to high and you will not be able to use it.

Jay
Old 11-21-2001, 03:04 PM
365ZUM
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (MrJay)

Yep. Ive seen alot of them. Ive been trying to think of a website I once ran across that has the specs/install info on a Ruby Red corvette with two nitrous bottles in the spare tire holder. Not hard at all to change, just jack up the rear a little. I dont know that I would want them that close to my exhaust though. Ill post the link when I think of it.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ross :chevy
Old 11-21-2001, 04:35 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (365ZUM)

Yep. Ive seen alot of them. Ive been trying to think of a website I once ran across that has the specs/install info on a Ruby Red corvette with two nitrous bottles in the spare tire holder. Not hard at all to change, just jack up the rear a little. I dont know that I would want them that close to my exhaust though. Ill post the link when I think of it.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ross :chevy
Please do.

Scorp,
I am with a lot of the other guys, you need to watch the heat, now does anyone for sure know if the spare tire gets heated at all?

What if you ran the exhuast straight out the back and mounted the bottles in the original muffler spaces?

Another thing to remember is that N2O bottles have a set up inside of how they pick up the N2O. it is like a straw in a cup, so you get every last bit of it. They set the bottle at the angle to get the "straw" in the bottom corner there, to get the last of N2O, this is also there for when you floor it and everything rolls backwards... you dont stave the N2O and run the motor rich.

They can mount a bottle upside down as well, they have to remove the straw looking thing from the bottle though....
So with this said, how do you set up the bottles correctly in the spare tire area?

[Modified by bill mcdonald, 12:37 PM 11/21/2001]
Old 11-22-2001, 02:10 AM
importeater
Racer

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (bill mcdonald)

pondered the same idea myself just so i could trick people at street races and then kill them. the problem is it would be very hard to camo the entire bottle back there, also the jets and lines would be hard to hide under the hood. i mean i think it would be cool if someone did it, but it seems like a HUGE pain with some losses just for a slightly more hidden system. get a gym bag to stick over the NOS bottle in the back and toss some spare clothes & wrappers around. you look like a slob but people don't question it as much :jester
Old 11-22-2001, 11:00 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm pretty sure Chad (vetteman9368) had a setup like this on his car for a while. I think he spends more time in the Southeast forum than over here, so you might look for him there or IM him.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:19 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just an idea. You could possible rig up two 10lb bottles in there with the spare out.

Of course this might be like having a bomb waiting to be hit, but it can't be any worse than the gas tank above it. (unless those are built to crumple) Although you keep nitrous at pressure, so yeah maybe that would go kaboom, I've seen pics of that.....

So what about it? Install the spare-tire-delete frame, and put those in? Is this suicide? Bottle heaters would be needed for sure during the winter.
Scorp.... Nitrous ?? You have parts on your living room floor with 100-150 HP as it sits.... that should be enough to get you strong low to mid 12's with your manual trannsmission and if you can get that 4+3 to 60 ft, even high 11's..... whadda need Nitrous for... are you in search of 10's. :D

good luck
Beach
Old 11-22-2001, 01:36 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (Beach Bum)

whadda need Nitrous for... are you in search of 10's. :D

This my friend is the planning stage for Stage II mods after Stage I is complete. :D
Old 11-22-2001, 02:17 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's NEVER ENOUGH LOL....
Old 11-22-2001, 03:18 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm convinced everybody on this freakn forum is just plain sick !!!! :)

What am I going to do to keep up with the Jones ?? I can see right now I'm going to have to tear down my motor again very soon.... how about 434 cubes, MR, solid roller, 4.11's, 300 cfm+ heads, big stickies.... that should do the trick to fend of you young gearheads.....or how about a 540 cubic inch Big Block making 700 HP @ 5800 rpm.... that'd do the trick too. :D

maybe's.....

Beach
Old 11-22-2001, 04:19 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (Beach Bum)

I'm convinced everybody on this freakn forum is just plain sick !!!! :)
:reddevil I'm trying to relive my dad's hellian days of yesterday. :reddevil

I don't think he ever owned a car that wasn't fitted with slicks for daily driving when he was younger. :cheers:
Old 11-22-2001, 07:05 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Scorp,

I have a friend that has this on his 95. He has a NOS dry kit with a remote bottle opener and a progressive controller. The bottle is in the spare tire well. Makes for a nice hidden setup. It has been on there since 96 or so without any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is?

Old 11-22-2001, 07:58 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (LPDesRoche)

Just do it , I've been thinking of that for years
Old 11-22-2001, 08:03 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is? (L98Terror)

Just do it , I've been thinking of that for years
If it goes kaboom, can I have the rear half of your car? :D
Old 11-22-2001, 08:18 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Why would it go Kaboom, I've never heard of a Corvette gas tank exploding, and if it does is there a difference between a lot dead and a little dead?

N2O isn't flamable

Quick Reply: Anybody ever install a nitrous bottle where the spare tire is?