C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 06:09 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ?

I think I have finally figured out why the rear end in my C4 is making noises on turns. The center spyder gear must have been damaged when the morons who moved my car from GA last December backed it up with the parking brake on. The brake was full on when the stupid truck driver backed it out of the truck since he could not figure out how to release it. At the time I was worried about the new clutch. It survived but I guess the rearend did not. I haven't opened it up yet but I am pretty sure its at least the center spyder gear. The rear end moans on street corners after its fully warmed up. I think I'll step up to 3.73 gears while I am fixing it.

What tools do I need to do this myself ?
Old 11-21-2001, 06:38 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

yuck. if this is anything like the standard rears... you need expensive special tools.

these tools allow the installation of the bearings and the setting of the lash and gear spacing.

I cannot beleive that the parking brake would cause the spider gear to go out like that... considering the short ride it took.

if it is bad, then there is other causes... normal wear and tear, or abuse.
Old 11-21-2001, 08:45 PM
arnold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (bogus)

I agree with Bogus. To get a better handle on the tools and/or special equipment
needed, it's best to consult your service manual for the procedure involved. That
will help determine what tools and talents you will need to the job in a proficient
manner. It's easy to get unwanted/undesireable 'noise' if done incorrectly. The
setting of the rear gears is not very forgiving if done incorrectly.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:37 PM
red-y
Drifting

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

Rear ends are tricky. Many shops won't even do them. Check around before you try this at home. :smash: :crazy: good luck. :seeya
Old 11-22-2001, 01:57 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Anyone done this who can give me an idea on the tools ? I think I can rent most of the bearing puller stuff. I am mainly wondering about the pinion depth check tool. :cheers:
Old 11-22-2001, 02:08 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll have to ask my dad, he bought all the tools to work on Dana36/44 units.
Old 11-22-2001, 08:26 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you have to ask that question you should leave it to a professional.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:48 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (mackeyred96)

If you have to ask that question you should leave it to a professional.
Especially if you have no confidence in your mechanical abilities. :rolleyes:

I had a professional set up the 4.10's in my car. Twice. Supposed to be the best guy in this area. I am now going to buy the tools to do it myself. That is the only way I will know it is done right.

According to several people I've talked to, there are a couple of tools called for in the service manual that are not required. One of which is the housing spreader. Asking folks who have done it before is your best source to find out what you really need.
The following users liked this post:
Dutch84 (11-24-2021)
Old 11-22-2001, 11:12 AM
Fla96LT4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just R&R the Dana 44 on my 87. Had new seals and bearings installed at a specialty differential shop in the Carolina's. Less then $300 for diff job, but I did all the labor removing diff, etc. Good time to do bushings as well. You can check this site for lots of good info.http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech.html or http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/ Should answer your questions.

Old 11-22-2001, 01:27 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

With all due respect, If you have to ask, you are not equipped to do the job. The proper tools aren't enough. Ring and pinion gear setting is as much an "art" as it is a science. A good gear man will make the final adjustments by feel and ear. With the proper tools you MIGHT get lucky and end up with a set up that will last for more than a couple of thousand miles and not drive you out of the car with the noise, or not. The cost of all the tools could exceed the cost of having it done for you. The second gear set WILL! Of course, your mileage may vary. Either way, good luck.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:25 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (CFI-EFI)

You need a press, torque wrenches and a good dial indicator. All of which is pretty cheap these days. I don't agree with all the nay sayers here, it is a great learning experience, just take your time and double and triple check everything. I've done my own diff's learning from scratch. Hell, they even make videos of diff setup these days. I had a few loud ones, but you learn what right is after you learn what wrong is. I learned to do this and all the rest of my work after having the "experts" work fall apart just as fast, if not faster than the next guys. I have no respect for "experts". Competant people don't brag about their work, they just do it. Beware of self the proclaimed experts.
Old 11-23-2001, 12:43 AM
arnold
Instructor

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (HiRiser)

People who know what they are doing DON'T use feeling or hearing. That's hogwash!!
But they DO know how to use torque wrenche(s) and indicator (dial). Based on your
questions I gather you do not have an appropriate (GM) service manual. Question;
How much did you pay for the vehicle? If you plan on doing ANYTHING on that vehicle,
is it worth another 100 bucks or so to buy a service manual? Figure it as an investment.
In this case it takes money to save money, (if the mechanical ability is there). Asking
questions is good, but the service manual is numeral number one in my book! Knock on
wood, the first thing I purchased after buying ANY vehicle I intended to touch, was a
service manual. Why? 'Cuz I want to know the way the factory intended it to be done.
To take this answer as being arrogant or hard nosed would be unfortunate. Like was
mentioned above, if this is your first, you may experience it as your second... soon!
Ref: http://www.diferentials.com/tech.html
Old 11-23-2001, 04:43 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (arnold)

Let see what I have now:

Service Manual - go it
dial gauges. calipers, micrometers - got em
press - got it
torque wrenches - got em

I think I got my answer and the place to order the parts from:
http://www.diferentials.com/gear/g0299.html

[Modified by AquaMetallic94LT1, 12:56 AM 11/23/2001]
Old 11-23-2001, 07:00 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (CFI-EFI)

With all due respect, If you have to ask, you are not equipped to do the job. The proper tools aren't enough. Ring and pinion gear setting is as much an "art" as it is a science. A good gear man will make the final adjustments by feel and ear. With the proper tools you MIGHT get lucky and end up with a set up that will last for more than a couple of thousand miles and not drive you out of the car with the noise, or not. The cost of all the tools could exceed the cost of having it done for you. The second gear set WILL! Of course, your mileage may vary. Either way, good luck.
WIth all due respect, folks who believe "feel" makes a rear end setup right are living in a dream land. No engineer anywhere has ever specified a fit for gears, bearings, or anything so that it "feels right". People who set up rears by "feels right" probably don't have the proper tools to do the job correctly.

Proper tools are not enough. Proper tools and knowing how to use them is enough.
Old 11-24-2001, 04:46 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Default Re: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ? (Mr Dave)

Proper tools are not enough. Proper tools and knowing how to use them is enough.
Or a lot of experience doing it.

I got a used Ford 3.70 posi 9" from a guy who never checked backlash on the stuff he worked on. He just used the contact pattern to judge the setup. He said he used to bug his friend because he would set the rearend up by the pattern and hit the backlash spec right on without measuring it. His buddy would check his friends work and find it was correct everytime. I have had the carrier and set in my 73 Mustang for about 7 years and never had any problems with it. Having said that, most of us don't have the experience and have to rely on the measuring method.

Get notified of new replies

To What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ?

Quick Reply: What tools do I need to put new rear gears in my Dana 44 ?