C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 07:31 PM
traxx1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster

Aft6er a long summer of batteling a hot start problem and finally winning it I am looking to see if GM makes an upgraded prom chip for my stock 89 roadster, this would be far cheaper for me (girl friend works for GM) than buying a custom chip, ANYONE KNOW OF ONE?

:jester :jester :jester :jester
Old 11-21-2001, 10:51 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Default Re: Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster (traxx1)

Aft6er a long summer of batteling a hot start problem and finally winning it I am looking to see if GM makes an upgraded prom chip for my stock 89 roadster, this would be far cheaper for me (girl friend works for GM) than buying a custom chip, ANYONE KNOW OF ONE?

:jester :jester :jester :jester
IBOUGHT A pERFORMANCE rESOUCE CHIP FOR $209 AND IT COMBINED W/ FLOWMASTERS TOOK MY CAR FROM A 14.0 DOWN TO A 13.5@105 IN THE 1/4 MILE...sorry bout caps, my daughter was typing. :cheers: *89x2*
Old 11-21-2001, 11:44 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I betcha there is something out there-especially for 89. That year, they deleted the cold start valve and in doing so, took a whole new look at the fuel curves in the chip.

The biggest craze for the Fbody owners is a chip that has an ARAP broadcast code. IOW, if you had the Fbody, I would tell you to run out and get that one. The origin of it goes something like this...when GM gave Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc. cars to test, they came equipped with this 'mysterious' chip. It was an awesome chip that was tuned for perfection by the people who did more than just freak out the spark curve at WOT, which is what you generally find in a cookie-cutter type aftermarket chip.

I will seach around a bit to see what is up. Post your trans and gear. -Matt-
Old 11-22-2001, 02:47 AM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I don't know of one from the general, but I will soon be getting one custom burnt for me and will want to sell my Hypertech for manual trans. It's the level 2 one. Will let it go cheap. What trans ya got?
Old 11-22-2001, 03:24 AM
drive it
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Re: Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster (HighHopes85)

I betcha there is something out there-especially for 89. That year, they deleted the cold start valve and in doing so, took a whole new look at the fuel curves in the chip.

The biggest craze for the Fbody owners is a chip that has an ARAP broadcast code. IOW, if you had the Fbody, I would tell you to run out and get that one. The origin of it goes something like this...when GM gave Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc. cars to test, they came equipped with this 'mysterious' chip. It was an awesome chip that was tuned for perfection by the people who did more than just freak out the spark curve at WOT, which is what you generally find in a cookie-cutter type aftermarket chip.

I will seach around a bit to see what is up. Post your trans and gear. -Matt-
Yes, you'd have to make a few changes initially to run the arap, but it's no problem-that's what I'm currently running. (with a lot of tuning for my combo) You can acually use it in any 86 to 89; just unplug the cold start on the earlier yrs.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:05 AM
traxx1
Racer

My 89 roadster is an automatic with 82 k miles, it runs and starts great, was just hopeing to find a simple upgrade, gears unknown but am doing 2800 rpm at 100 mph and 2400 rpm at 80 mph.

:jester :jester :jester
Old 11-22-2001, 07:37 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

GM makes chip changes throughout the service life of the car (~3 years). Check with 18carfan and see if there's a newer chip out for your car.

I replaced the chip for my '86 with the same stock # MemCal, and examining it with TunerCat found there were many changes, in spark and fuel tables as well as fan temps.

Less than $50 and worth having a new spare (to back up your homebrews!).

One other thing that changed through service life is the ESC Module - this is the one by/under the w/w bottle (square thing with 4 leads). (Not to be confused with the distrib module).

There is a long post on this here somewhere (try search) and many '89 owners have had much success with the updated module.
Old 11-22-2001, 04:29 PM
Nitro Junkie
Burning Brakes

First check out the TSBs for your car to see what and when chips were upgraded.
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/bulletin.html

Mine ('84) is no longer available so I went to superchip and am very pleased with it
http://www.superchip.com/gm1989.htm

Three different models for your car for $99.95 Call and talk to the owner to discuss what fits your needs best.

Old 11-22-2001, 05:04 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

89 has the best MAF tables in it's programming. I am told that many programmers start with an '89 chip when they are going to make something.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:35 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

89 has the best MAF tables in it's programming. I am told that many programmers start with an '89 chip when they are going to make something.
I don't have the post handy, but I believe I read over at DIY-PROM that the ARAP.BIN *is* the aluminum head Corvette BIN. (As compared to a comparable L98 F-body BIN w/iron heads).

If so, you shouldn't have to change a thing...If you can find an *unmodified* ARAP.BIN...

I may have one here somewhere in my mess of downloaded BINs...But I wouldn't know what's been changed or not... :D

[Modified by Rich B., 4:44 PM 11/22/2001]
Old 11-22-2001, 05:39 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster (HighHopes85)

Sorry; too much turkey!

Disregard this post! :D

[Modified by Rich B., 4:43 PM 11/22/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster

Quick Reply: Does gm make an stock upgraded prom chip? 89 roadster