C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What secures the rear quarterpanel to the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 01:40 AM
Nox
Disbanded Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What secures the rear quarterpanel to the frame?

Hi Folks,

Today I noticed that the right rear quarter panel had separated a tiny bit at the midseam near the rear wheel well. There is no collision damage or evidence of any structural failure. It seems that all that came loose is a screw or securing bolt. Can anyone tell me what holds the quarter panel secure, and how easy it would be to correct this problem. I have included an image. The circled portion is where the panel is loose. Thanks for any help you might give.

Nox

Old 11-23-2001, 02:46 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: What secures the rear quarterpanel to the frame? (Nox)

The quarter panel itself is secured by factory applied epoxy on top of the speaker box. The right 1/4 panel is larger than the left 1/4 panel, the factory seam can be seen if you lift up the gas door lid. I am working on an 84 now and replacing the damage from a right rear hit. The 1/4 panel and rear end were wiped out. There is also a bracket that holds up the quarter panel and rear bumper and also serves as an alignment for both the 1/4 panel and rear bumper on both sides. I just took a picture of the part and it appears below. The pieces is in the quarter panel on the underside inner lip and the bolt threads point downward and have two 10MM nuts on the ends that tighten from the bottom and go against the rear bumper underside. Reach your hand under and you should find what I am talking about. You also may have some stress cracks of the mounting location for this part which could cause a misalignment. A reputable body shop should be able to fix this problem easily, or you could do it yourself to patch up the problem. Keep us posted, and let me know if you need any more details, I'd be glad to help. Nice car by the way!
Old 11-23-2001, 02:49 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

If none of the above helped, then try some epoxy, or take it to a body shop, the repair cost should be minimal, cost of epoxy plus 15 minutes of labor at most. I've seen this problem on some other C4's of all different years.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:51 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Get notified of new replies

To What secures the rear quarterpanel to the frame?

Quick Reply: What secures the rear quarterpanel to the frame?