C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Changed my U-joint today (thanks to Scorp)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 11:39 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 476 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Changed my U-joint today (thanks to Scorp)

Scorp,

I want to thank you for your web page detailing the half-shaft removal and U-joint replacement. After printing out the whole set of instructions, I went out and bought a U-joint at Napa, along with some lock-tite and a tie-rod fork. The job took me and my 17-year old son most of the day today, but it was a good father-son project.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to undo the camber arm bolt until I looked it up in the service manual, where it recommends 185 pound-feet! My torque wrench only goes up to 140, and I'd never had it offscale before. It took a whole lot of elbow grease (and WD-40) to get it out.

The half-shaft was a bitch to remove even after we undid all the c-clamps. The rust on the yoke had it solidly stuck, and I had to use a long steel bar with a hammer to pop it out. Also, my large vise wasn't big enough to get around the sockets to push the old U-joint out. I called the local parts shop, which recommended using a hammer on a concrete floor with the two sockets. We hammered away, with success. The old U-joint had NO roller bearings inside one cap at all. More telling was the fact that we can see the pattern of the roller bearings on the inner steel shaft where they disintegrated. I'm lucky it didn't take out the whole halfshaft.

Anyway, the job is done. The clattering sound with acceleration is gone, and the vibration at highway speed is also gone. It's a mean machine, thanks to Scorp. :cheers:
Old 11-23-2001, 11:50 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Changed my U-joint today (MTVette)

It's a mean machine, thanks to Scorp. :cheers:
You are very welcome, glad I could help!!!! :yesnod: :cheers: :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Changed my U-joint today (thanks to Scorp)