C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best cost (cheapest) AFR 190 heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 04:13 AM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best cost (cheapest) AFR 190 heads

It seems that my stock 89 L98 ported alum heads are the restricting points in my car. How much money will I have to spend to get a set of AFR 190 heads? How much will these heads flow up to, if thoroughly ported?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2001, 10:09 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Best cost (cheapest) AFR 190 heads (black_89_vette)

Black,
I just got a set and they ran me about 1800 after everything was done to them. Watch the lift cam you are using the stock springs on the afr's are only good till .550" That is plenty for most cars but with the 219 cam and 1.6 RR you will be over that. I'm not sure if your running that high of a lift cam. But just watch. And make sure you get all the sensor holes drilled. They will cost you ~50 bucks. And lastly you may want to have them milled to achieve the correct CC. They will advise you better than I on this matter. You can follow my progress on "The Project" post. Good luck and you can see the Air Flow numbers at http://www.airflowresearch.com

good luck and if I can help just get ahold of me.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:48 AM
texican2K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you buy from an AFR dealer the price for L-98 AFR190 should be around $1200.00 plus tax or freight or both. If you have dual cooling fans you will need a second boss drilled in one of the heads for the second cooling sensor.
Like "ski_down_it" was saying, lift will determine if you need to upgrade the valve springs, and your desired C/R will determine if the heads need to be plained down. The AFRs come in 68 cc or 74 cc. I got mine from Dick Allen at the site below. When they came in they did not have the second sensor boss drilled so he got it done for me no charge. I did not want the heads plained since I wanted to maintain a 9.1 to 1 C/R for a blower. I also did not need any additional springs since I am using 1.52 Pro Magnum lifters and a blower cam and the LPE 219 will not exceed the max lift with the 1.52" lifters. My price was $1195 plus tax. I also needed angled plug heads so my 1 3/4" hooker long tube headers fit properly.
http://www.dallasexportsales.com (click on parts)

Good Luck with your decision.
HLV
t2k

Old 11-25-2001, 11:43 AM
CORKVETTE1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

you will be happy when you put them on i started with a 350 and then i put the top end on like you did and a mild cam i wasnt all that impressed then i put on the afr heads and it picked up a whole second in the quater i dont think it was just the heads it was the whole combo just comeing together
Old 11-25-2001, 08:06 PM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best cost (CORKVETTE1)

then i put on the afr heads and it picked up a whole second in the quater i dont think it was just the heads it was the whole combo just comeing together
A whole second!! Sweet! The thing is, I initially started the upgrades and decided that I just wanted to keep it as a daily driver, and not trailer it to the track. I have spent a lot of $$ into it so far, and I don't really wanna spend $2000 or more getting that last little bit out of the engine on heads. I would like to see the 350-375 rwhp I was expecting to see. If I could get there, I'd be happy.

Does anyone have dyno results pre and post heads addition (AFR 190 or similar)?

*****EDIT*****
I do have a set of ported cast heads with the 2.02/1.60 valves in them with a 3 angle valve job. When the engine was torn down to the block, my mechanic suggested I use my vette heads, and we ported them. The valves are the stock 1.94/1.57 (I think those #'s are correct) in them. Is it the valve sizes that's limiting me? Should I remove the alum. L98 heads and throw the cast ones on?

[Modified by black_89_vette, 6:09 PM 11/25/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Best cost (cheapest) AFR 190 heads

Quick Reply: Best cost (cheapest) AFR 190 heads