C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 07:50 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ?

I am going to change the rear gear and spyder gears etc in my Dana 44. I have looked in my service manual on removing the rearend housing and it looks like I need to take apart a lot of the rear suspension to do the job. Any suggestions or short cuts to make the job easier ? :)
Old 11-26-2001, 09:40 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

I can remove the housing by removing: the driveshaft, half shafts, toe adjustment bars, C-Channel and tires. It is a little tricky getting the half shafts out but by jacking up under the rotor after unbolting the shafts and wiggling them out. Some remove and drop the entire rear suspention, housing and all. This way it takes me about an hour to have the housing down and on the bench. :D
Old 11-26-2001, 09:52 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ? (RichS)

Thanks RichS. The service manual appears to suggest that the whole suspension needs to come off. I am glad there is an easier way. Now I just need to clear out some working space in the garage. Parts are going to be here tomorrow. :D
Old 11-26-2001, 09:56 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ? (AquaMetallic94LT1)

I did it per the manual and it is not as bad as it sounds when you first read it. I was working alone and had my daughter help with the final removal. One nice thing about taking it all apart, I cleaned the hardware and replaced any questionable parts. Photos on my web site if you are interested.
Old 11-26-2001, 10:48 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ? (vettenuts)

I forgot the exhaust need to be removed also :yesnod:
Old 11-26-2001, 10:56 PM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that bad, really, not that bad. Goofing off and the such, it took about 4 hours to put on a new rear sway bar, new camber strut rods, new trailing link bushings and one new rear wheel bearing. Not bad at all! The C4's are definitely forgiving and fairly simple to work on when it comes to rear suspension work! Best of all, I didn't have any parts left over when I was done!

Get notified of new replies

To What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ?

Quick Reply: What do I need to do to take rear differential housing off on Dana 44 ?