C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:44 AM

Default On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have?

I'm fighting a rich condition at idle with about 15.5" of vacuum measured at the back of the SR at 900 RPM. I have identified a bad Holley AFPR after installing a redundant fuel line check valve for the pump, pressure still bleeds down slowly to about 5 psi or so after engine off. Planning on pulling the SR this weekend to check both the injectors and disasemble the AFPR :cry.

As it is right now from the 10 or so times I have tried to set the base timing and idle I have managed to soot up the plugs to the tailpipe. I have run the engine on both the DFI and 7730, the 7730 will let me get down to 6* and barely idle, I don't seem to be getting an idle change with adjustments to the Throttle body? I certainly will not be able to run at 450 RPM idle right now.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark

[Modified by Mark84_L383, 7:45 AM 11/28/2001]
Old 11-28-2001, 12:21 PM
HighHopes85
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have? (Mark84_L383)

I don't seem to be getting an idle change with adjustments to the Throttle body? I certainly will not be able to run at 450 RPM idle right now.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark
I guess people over there didn't appreciate posts like this.

http://fox.vet.purdue.edu/phpBB/view...683&forum=11&0

..I wouldn't respond to the original thread over there. Most of em are punks. -Matt-
Old 11-28-2001, 01:50 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have? (HighHopes85)

i've got a 350/SR/219 and only get about 13" vacuum at 850 rpms, but it idles perfectly.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:20 PM

Anyone else? Thanks guy's.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:22 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the prom in the 7730 programmed for the 36# injectors ? Make sure you don't have too much fuel pressure or fuel leaking from a regulator. Make sure the injectors aren't leaking also. Check your engine coolant temp sensor. Any of these problems could cause a rich condition.

I assume you have the distributor disconnected from the computer when you are setting the timing. Try opening the throttle body plates to raise the idle and then set the initial timing. Reconnect the distributor and continue tuning for that point. Try to match the 7730 and DFI spark advance settings while you doing the tuning so that doesn't throw you off. :hat
Old 11-28-2001, 10:44 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your vacuum at idle looks OK.

After checking out your injectors, also check that your Inj duty is inline with the size injectors your using. I am currently running 36lb bosch at 2.7bar, and my Inj constant on my 7730 is 33.5lb/hr. If this all checks OK, try,

Set your timeing at 6 degrees.
Now adjust your throttle plates and shoot for 900 RPM idle, assuming this is where the chip is programmed for. Then set your TPS voltage, and you should be set.

John

Old 11-29-2001, 12:38 PM

Default Re: On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have? (Bowtie8)

Thanks guys, I'm really running Accel 30 lb injectors after checking the other day. I got the 7730 from Jim's Performance just to get through emissions testing, don't really know how it's tuned, I guess I need to find out. Checked out my IAC and TPS settings last night, both are OK now.

What amount of Throttle plate adjustment should I start with from the completely closed position without causing the IAC to go crazy trying to compensate?

Will tackle the AFPR this weekend, damn Holley, that sucker is leaking by big time unless my new injectors are, but I think it's more likely the regulator. I put an Aeromotive check valve inline with the fuel pump so that's not it and if I clamp the return line I can easily get 90 lbs at the rails and hold it (not too long of a test of course). If my O2 sensor is sooted up I guess that could give me problems as well.

I didn't mention but I have no emissions gear on the engine at this time. The PCV system is all that's on it. Could this be a problem?

I'm really anxious to get this car going, it's been a year since I started the project and my emissions test is in Mar 02, wanted to break it in by then and get it dynoed before I put emissions gear on it. :U

Anyone got a refined DFI 383 configuration file with a similar setup as mine I could upload?

Thanks for the help guys!

:chevy
Old 11-29-2001, 06:47 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark
One more thing.

Your O2 sensor can not be in one of the primary tubes, it has to be at the collector or just beyond it. Just another thought

Regards

Get notified of new replies

To On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have?

Quick Reply: On my 383 setup, how much vacuum should I have?