C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2001, 06:59 PM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted?

Level now, maybe a slight rake but could just be the body lines. Much better look. Thanks to all that recommended it earlier.

Does the rear need alignment after a lowering job. Dropped it about 1.5" in rear with the long bolts. Wheels much more tilted in at the top now. Never noticed it before. I checked the rear bearings not to long ago and they were ok. Or is this normal? My first Vette, so not to familiar with the way things should be.
Thanks,
Old 11-30-2001, 07:13 PM
Double Black Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (Curtis629)

I lowerd my car a couple of weeks ago. What kit did you buy? The front has to be aligned. My car looks great, now its 1.5 inches lower in the back and 1 inch in the front :cheers:
Old 11-30-2001, 07:15 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (Double Black Vette)

Its normal after lowering, and you need an alignment asap to avoid damaging the tires.
Get a 4 wheel alignment,not 2.
:)
Old 11-30-2001, 10:12 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (Bill's86Coupe)

Its normal after lowering, and you need an alignment asap to avoid damaging the tires.
Get a 4 wheel alignment,not 2.
:)
Good advice!

And, if you have a machinists level, adjust the rear camber to +1/2*...So the wheel just barely looks like it's tilted out at the bottom. You may have to cut a piece of angle or strap to bridge the wheel rim-to-rim and place the level on that.

That'll allow you to drive it to the alignment shop. A *good* shop.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:10 AM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (Curtis629)

My ZR-1 is lowered about 1.5" in the back. Sounds like you need a 4 wheel alignment and that will do the trick.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:23 AM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (Mr. CJ)

Yep, yep, get a good 4 wheel alignment before you damage your tires.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:28 AM
MDC9966
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted? (BobMachus)

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the forum came to the rescue again.
I just lowered the back with bolts from Ecklers.
Old 12-01-2001, 11:40 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When you first take the car down off the jackstands, the rear wheels will look out of kilter. Drive the car around the block, then take another look; they usually return to the "normal" look.

It's best that you get an alignment, but you can be the judge.

Jake
Old 12-02-2001, 01:15 AM
EricVonHa
Melting Slicks

Without a doubt, it needs an alignment as everyone says. Check out the components within the rear suspension and their connection points to the hub assembly. You'll see that change in ride height not only effects camber, but also toe as well. The toe change will kill the tires in a big hurry, but the camber being off will be a very slow wear issue.
Old 12-06-2001, 04:35 PM
DISGOFAST
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

will fx3 complicate lowering?

Get notified of new replies

To I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted?

Quick Reply: I lowered the rear last night, SWEET! Now the rear wheels look tilted?