C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hit new best mph.... 118.22

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 09:49 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Hit new best mph.... 118.22

Well maybe I should say my vette hit a new best mph yesterday..... buddy of mine who only weighs 170 lbs vs my 270 lbs hit 118.23 and also 118.07 mph... unfortunately my ET Streets were on their last tread, so couldn't get a single decent hook all day.

He ran:

1.690 60 ft
4.806 330 ft
7.430 1/8th et
93.69 1/8th mph
11.603 1/4 et
118.22 1/4 mph

He also ran a 11.69 @ 118.07 with a paltry 1.76 60 ft.

DA on his 1st run was a pretty good 1200 ft, his 2nd was 1400 ft.

I managed a best of 11.63 @ 116.95 with a weak 1.63 60 ft.

In comparison, when I ran my 11.55, my 60 ft was 1.552 and the mph was 116.99.... thus I think if my buddy could have hooked.... a low 11.4 would have been possible.... oh well.... new ET streets are on the xmas list. If I could have hooked yesterday I would have been all over that 11.55

Also forum member Jack Sweet took a couple passes yesterday in my vette and landed a spinning 11.9 @ 116 and another hard spinning 11.78 @ 117.34... Jack weighs about 200 lbs, thus the raceweight with him was roughly 3450 lbs... with me a little over 3500 lbs.

Was a fun day.... and would have been a record breaker with some traction. :( Maybe next time.

cheers,
Beach
Old 12-03-2001, 10:11 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (Beach Bum)

Congrats Todd, bring that car east!!!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:36 PM
TPFKATK
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (Mr Mojo)

Way to go Beach!
How much fuel do you have when you race and do you try to have exactly the same amount each time?
Harold
Old 12-03-2001, 10:39 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

WOW, your the size of me :eek: :eek: :eek:

Maybe I should let that skinny butt Panuzzo drive mine and see how fast it would go.

BUT I DON'T KNOW AT HIS AGE IF HE COULD HANDLE IT :D :D :D

Congrats Todd, thats flying.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:50 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (mackeyred96)

I assume it was just test & tune. before you buy new et streets, you might consider their ET drag if you don't need DOT approved tires. Even though MT told me they didn't make a 16" version (nor will you see it on their web site), i saw them with my own eyes....so they do exist. JD had a pair!!!

118 and with good hook a possible 11.4x in 1200 feet aint bad. be push'n 1s or 2s in some negative DAs

Mackey, i'm available if JP can't handle it :yesnod:
Old 12-03-2001, 11:02 PM
wheelsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beach,we are still getting good weather on the East Coast.Sat was 70's and Sun. was in the 60's.But,in 2-4 weeks we will be looking to you West Coast racers for all the latest drag racing news.
Congrats on the 118.
Phil

[Modified by wheelsup, 9:03 PM 12/3/2001]
Old 12-03-2001, 11:45 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (wheelsup)

Thanks guys :)

Harold, I run with 1/2 tank or more.... I'm not very fanatic about how much fuel I have as long as it doesn't drop more than 1 click below 1/2 tank, which can cause me a problem in the middle of 1st gear with starvation. But I also try not to run with over 3/4 tank.... but some extra gas could have helped me yesterday with my traction problems. Let me know when you get those rims !!! Hope you enjoy them, they're perfect for what you're gonna do with them.

Mackey, There's a trade-off when you let the lightweights drive.... they blow you crap about running a better et than you. I have two friends who on occasion I've put in the seat, they both weigh 100 lbs less than me, and one of them has my current best et... 11.54 @ 117.96..... he blows me crap about it everytime we have a freakn beer.... I gotta beat it !!!! I had a shot yesterday if I could have hooked. :( So with that in mind, if you let JP or Ralph take a spin and they beat your personal best et.... you gotta ask yourself if you can take the crap that would surely follow..... especially from JP. :)

Ralph, I've been considering it, but next year I will be racing in the NHRA Summit ET series... and depending on the class I race in, I may have to run a dot tire...dunno yet, will figure it out in the coming month.

Wheelsup, Weather wasn't bad yesterday, probably the best I've raced in within the last 6 months.... but wasn't quite as cool as I had hoped... wish the track was at the freakn beach, its amazing, at the beach its 55 degrees, 10 miles inland its freakn 70. good luck racing, do you have any new updates for the proven results section ?

later
Beach
Old 12-04-2001, 12:02 AM
TPFKATK
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Beach the reason I ask about the gas is yesterday I dropped the spare and jack. Now we had very very good cool air but I still cut .16 off (from 13.55 to 13.39) my best time of the entire summer. I am beginning to wonder if there is more gain than I expected in relatively small weight reductions?? What does one of these things weigh anyhow?
When you get done with those tires let me ship them here if it's not too much hassel. I need to make runs on as many different sizes as possible before I pop for a new set?? As far as that goes, if ANYBODY has any 16s used for cheap or worn out please shoot me an email.
Thanks
Harold
Old 12-04-2001, 12:15 AM
smallblock
Pro

Your makin some good power!! :D Don't worry, you'll have those guys off your butt as soon as you get your new tires :) :)
Old 12-04-2001, 11:32 AM
ODennis
Pro

Hiya Beach,

Do you know yet what classes are going to be available to you in the upcoming Summit Racing Series? Many tracks (including Bandimere) have classes that are slightly different than the classes designated for the Division Finals and the National Finals. I know at some tracks in Calif., the Pro class is an electronics class...this is the Super Pro class at the Division an National Finals.

The Summit Racing Series classes at the Division are Super Pro - electronics allowed; Pro - no electronics - trans brakes permitted and Sportsman (some Divisions call this class Street) - no electronics - no trans brakes. Slicks are allowed in all these classes. At the local level a track may add a Street class - no electronics - no trans brakes & DOT tires. Additionally, local tracks may have a few other "street" events (including Super Chevy) where the Street class is a no slicks allowed class.

Beach, we all get to this point eventually. You have a dilemma. Get slicks and you have to start hauling more and more stuff to the track (sometimes requires a trailer). :confused: If you get ET streets and use them as daily driver tires you may end up compromising their drag racing integrity (hook). In any event, any 26" tire combined with your power (1.5x 60's) will be tough to hook consistently.

Additionally, you may be too quick for the Sportsman (street) class anyway at the Division Finals forcing you into the Pro class (I'm not sure). So I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with Ralph, you should consider dedicated race tires (slicks - ET Drags) and use them only for racing. Also, I think you can mitigate your hook problem with taller tires (at least 28"). Of course that means more gear, etc. :) I sure know how to spend your money!!!! :D

I'm sure you're carefully considering the class you want to run in during the Summit Racing ET series because I know you plan to run in the Division Finals in September!!! Good luck....See Ya in Pomona! :cheers:
Old 12-04-2001, 11:51 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (ODennis)

Beach a 28 in tire is a great idea, of course you will need 15in rims though. With the right set back they should fit under your fenders (an advantage for the setback on the early C4s) and the 28in tire will make your 3.45 look like a 3.20 which shouldn't hurt your perfromance at all (maybe help it some). Down side is the expense if the new rims and (now the big hurt), i don't think they will fit in the back of the car anymore:-(

Like Dennis said...you know how to spend your money...LOL
Old 12-04-2001, 12:46 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (TPFKATK)

Beach :D

Remember our phone conversation? :) Seems YOU are the one with the 118 Speed in your car! GREAT JOB! That's some HP! I can only wonder what it'll do when it HOOKS.

Regarding tires... I borrowed a set from a friend. 26X10X16 MT FULL SLICKS. I didn't get to test them much. I will say they fit nicely seeing they we're on Camaro 16" Wheels and fit in the back OK. Might want to look in to them. You don't drive to the track on them,and they don't have grooves like E.T. Streets.

Congrats! Fine job. I hope to be at that speed also one day.

JD
Old 12-04-2001, 01:28 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd, thanks for letting me make a couple of passes. I seem to need a little practice on the tree. :yesnod:

But your car is a blast. Launches HARD and straight, tucks its butt, puts its nose in the air and hauls booty. And it's street-driven and street-legal. Nice job.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:19 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (The Dude)

Harold, Weight helps, but yeah its hard to find to knock off on a C4.... sway bar is about 10 lbs or so, front skinnies will reduce roughly 60 lbs of rotational weight, which will typically give you right around a tenth and mph. But it seems regardless of what weight you try to remove, there is a compromise that goes along with it.... I would like to switch to AFR 190 aluminum heads (60lbs weight reduction), and change my rollbar from mild steel to chrome moly, that would be a reduction of roughly 40 lbs.... cost money though, but hope to do them sometime within the coming year.

Dennis & Ralph, 2 years ago when the Summit series was the Sears Craftsman series I raced for Pomona Raceway, at Pomona they had the Street class which was 14.00 and slower, and the Sportsman class which was 8.99 and slower, keeping in mind Pomona didn't have a Pro-Class representation at the Division 7 finals. But at the Division 7 finals they had the street class down to 11.99 and the Sportsman I think down to 9.99 and the Pro-Class... but the track I will be racing at next year probably will have a Pro-Class which I will consider if for no other reason to challenge myself to race with the best.... but only if electronics are not allowed, if allowed I will stay with the Sportsman class.... however I would probably have my best chance at going far in the Division 7 finals in the Street class with a detune of 1/2 second which can easily be done. Of course the street class requires a dot tire.... but dunno, probably do the Sportsman class, but have to see the track rules for Irwindale, and I haven't yet.

Regarding the 28" tire....no way will they not hit the fender.... my rear drops down hard and almost hits with the 26" tire. Maybe with some future suspension modifications, but my budget is much shallower than that at this point.... but hey I could always tub...lol.

JD, There's a little bit more left in my set-up, but not much until I port the SR, and switch the heads and injectors.... I didn't know about that slick.... how long ago did your friend get them ? They may be discontinued by now, but dunno. btw, in my opinion, you have 119-120 in good air with your set-up, but you gotta work at it with practice and do a few of the little things to squeeze the power out of it.

Jack, Thanks:)... anytime you want to take a pass, let me know, you drove it straight. btw, can't wait to see you get your vette back on the track... its gonna be a Monster !!!

cheers,
Beach
Old 12-05-2001, 04:42 AM
11sec84
Racer

Hey Beach. Click on the link below and you can see how the 28's look on my 84. I have never had any tire clearence problems on launch or normal steet driving. You'll find that when you go with the taller tire you can actually take out some of the weight transfer in the car being that they hook so well . And we all know that when it comes to weight transfer you only want the amount you really need, anything more is a waste of power. If I still lived in Escondido I'd meet you at Carlsbad and let yah test 'em out :D
And great job on the 118 mph. I have to admit that I'm a little bummed your going that fast with a fuel injected 355 :)
Old 12-05-2001, 10:21 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (11sec84)

11sec84,

Maybe in the coming year or two I'll do the necessary chassis adjustments that allow me to run the 28" tire... I'd like too, would probably solve my traction problems.

Don't be bummed.... its a 383.

later
Beach
Old 12-05-2001, 10:25 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Beach

I wonder how fast your setup would go in my car.

Our race weights differ by 230 lbs and here on Long Island , I can run in -1000 DA.

Vic

Get notified of new replies

To Hit new best mph.... 118.22

Old 12-05-2001, 12:28 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (11sec84)

Beach, take 11sec up on that offer. lets see what the 28in tires to for us.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:25 PM
HiTech5
Instructor

Default Re: Hit new best mph.... 118.22 (ralph)

Beach - Did you ever install the 3" exhaust with the X pipe?
Old 12-05-2001, 06:48 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

[By Beach]JD, There's a little bit more left in my set-up, but not much until I port the SR, and switch the heads and injectors.... I didn't know about that slick.... how long ago did your friend get them ? They may be discontinued by now, but dunno. btw, in my opinion, you have 119-120 in good air with your set-up, but you gotta work at it with practice and do a few of the little things to squeeze the power out of it.

[By JD] Beach... we're never satisfied eh? ;) I hope there's a little more in yours...but you seem to be at peak from what I'd seen(Until those new STICKIES get bolted on anyway). I am not too sure on those Slicks. My friend uses them for his LPE TT/C5 and on a SOFT/Low Boost run did 11.4@134 :eek: Pretty sure you can still get the 26X10X16's. I just sent them back to Him as He's going to run it a few more. I'll see if they're still avail. It was nice bolting them right up without caliper interference worries. Heavy though... the UPS Shipper said they we're close to 50 pounds(each) on the scale to ship them. Regarding my combo... I forgot to mention my crappy run, I left it in "D" the trans short shifted bigtime. I had the camera in the car and listened to it. No way it shifted at 5800-6000(I also do NOT have a functional tach which might be worth one-two mph and a few tenths) I manually shifted it by feel,and got the video of it today on street tires. Sounds like it still needs more RPM...again, a tach would be nice. I'll hopefully get it in soon.

I'll see what I can find on the 26/10/16's don't buy the E.T. Streets yet.

TTYL...........J.D.

Quick Reply: Hit new best mph.... 118.22