C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:17 AM
torchred96
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy??

Well, not to start a war or anything, but I am really an automatic type of person. Shifting gears makes me feel like I am in my work truck.

Why didn't gm give us Auto guys an engine upgrade...not even the zr1.

But an automatic transmission in my vette doesn't make me any less perfomance conscious than 6 speed guys. I don't think.

So can a lt4 be converted or am I just nuts?? What is the torque issue if any. Any other issues i overlooked. Ready, Commence a'flaming..

Thanks,
sam

am
Old 12-05-2001, 12:33 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (torchred96)

It's been done, but I don't know if it's worth it. I think I would rather buy another car than switch my tranny, I like my 6 speed.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:17 AM
torchred96
Pro

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (Mr Mojo)

So what does it entail. As I think about it more, the computer reprogrammed, transmission, flywheel and linkage. Anything I am missing....(don't say brains please).

Mr Mojo.. Not that I dislike 6 speeds, but just not all the time. Once in a while, i just like to relax, and let the transmission do the work. Besides, that clutch in the vette is much harder to press than my truck clutch!

Is it difficult to remove the clutch pedal and brake and put in a auto brake?

Anyone?? Really would like some more details.
thanks, sam

[Modified by torchred96, 5:21 AM 12/5/2001]
Old 12-05-2001, 01:37 AM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (torchred96)

You'd probably have better luck adding the LT4 mods into an auto car. Heads, cam, intake. For the money you could probably even upgrade past the stock LT4 performance point. Of course if you're set on keeing the current chassis then that wouldn't work out.

It's up for debate whether an LT1 car with "some engine work" would hold value better than a "butchered" LT4 car.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:51 AM
torchred96
Pro

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (TravisD)

You'd probably have better luck adding the LT4 mods into an auto car. Heads, cam, intake. For the money you could probably even upgrade past the stock LT4 performance point. Of course if you're set on keeing the current chassis then that wouldn't work out.

It's up for debate whether an LT1 car with "some engine work" would hold value better than a "butchered" LT4 car.
Just wondering. It seems pretty easy to change out a transmission. but that's why I was wondering what else was required. A 6 speed trans could probably be sold for enough money to buy an auto and then some. So I don't think cost would be too much of a factor....or would it.....assuming I am doing the work myself?

I agree with the butchering statement, but really that's not the issue for me. Anyone who modifies their vette extensively probably (I could be wrong) isn't too concerned about resale value. Besides, we are cutting them up, just modifiying them.....hopefully not to the point of cutting them up.

But I would have bought a factory lt4 auto had they made em ( and would have paid more for the option), before an lt4 stick. I am sure many auto guys feel the same way.

Adding heads cam etc. Yeah, I know. But I was considering the road less traveled. And, the vin number would be correct for the engine, the tach too and whatever else. Only difference.....auto.

Old 12-05-2001, 02:29 AM
tan85vet
Instructor

Unfortunately for you, 96 Corvettes have the 4L60E transmission...which is electronically controlled, which means you would have to change your ECM, and some harnesses, and a bunch of other stuff as well...im not an expert, mine being the basic 700R4. I also think your rear end gears will be wrong for an auto if you convert...your car does have the 3.54's right? I would strongly suggest staying with the 6 speed, its way more fun to drive.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:46 PM
silver & red CE
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (tan85vet)

Unfortunately for you, 96 Corvettes have the 4L60E transmission...which is electronically controlled, which means you would have to change your ECM, and some harnesses, and a bunch of other stuff as well...im not an expert, mine being the basic 700R4. I also think your rear end gears will be wrong for an auto if you convert...your car does have the 3.54's right? I would strongly suggest staying with the 6 speed, its way more fun to drive.
This is if you want to have an electronic trans. There is another option, use a none computer controlled 700R4 and use a TV cable for the downshifts. This way you don't need to modify the wiring harness. (A manual trans car's PCM has NO idea what gear it's in.)

Eric
Old 12-05-2001, 02:10 PM
HiRiser
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (silver & red CE)

To heck with what anybody says, it's your car.
At least you are going the easy way, stick to auto. Much simpler than auto to stick. (been there-different car) Just advertise on the Forum for someone who wants to do a auto to stick swap. There are alot of guys that are always talking about it.
Besides, if you are working with a guy doing the reverse swap it would eliminate all the little gotchas with small parts, consoles, shifters and stuff. Finding a local guy would be really the way to go, as you could do pre-inspections, take assembly pictures, compare notes, find out where exactly to drill holes, etc.
As far as the gears, 3.45 is what you want anyway. Heck, if you weren't so far away I'd take you up on it. :D
Old 12-05-2001, 02:50 PM
fade_to_black
Pro

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (HiRiser)

I love my six speed. I wouldn't give it up unless I was pushing 900 HP. :cheers:
Old 12-05-2001, 02:57 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (HiRiser)

Well, since you asked, I agree with everyone who says its a better idea to put engine mods on an LT1 car. You say you're not worried about the value of the car, yet you mention having an LT4 vin number, etc. That does nothing for value when you've sold the trans and put a slushbox in.

For the money and time spent on the change, you can get a LT1/auto car to be quicker than the results of the LT4/auto conversion. Just my opinion. :)
Old 12-05-2001, 03:20 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (Mr Dave)

He already has an LT4 car though. But just my opinion, I say that the 6 speeds are really geared for the LT4 cars. The Automatic's are more geared the the L98's. The LT1/LT4's love the high gears of the 6 speed. Just my $.02
Old 12-05-2001, 04:46 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

You can do it but these guys are right.

LT4 cars command an extra premium now and will in the future. Your better off getting an auto LT1 and modifying it.

If you decide to, despite all the good advice given not to, don't sell the trans. Some day LT4s will be collector cars and matching numbers will be important and you don't want to be the guy that some future owner will refer to as the 'moron' who owned the car and did not keep the matching number stuff. Some guys might disagree but I suspect a stock matching number LT4 car will be pretty rare in about 15 years.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:55 PM
notbob
Racer

I'll swap ya my '88 L98 Auto which is getting a new 400hp engine right now ;)

I'd love to have a 6-spd as I think it'd be a lot more fun.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:19 PM
torchred96
Pro

Just to clear it up, the whole idea is hypothetical to me because I have an lt1 a4 car. But I was thinking that it would have been nice had they offered us an engine upgrade.

Having matching numbers (to me) has nothing to do with the value of the car cause it's for me, not to sell. I just like it better to know that the original engine is in the car. That's why I said value is not important to me. I stand by that. As an example, even my iroc, worth about $2500 has the original engine in it....Doesn't do squat for the value (of that car), but I like the idea. Just can't explain it.

I see that most six speed guys are against this. And I understand that. You're six speed guys! What else would you say. But I am surprised there isn't more support from auto guys.
I certainly would keep the transmission just in case I decided to sell, but I wanted to keep the cost factor out of the equation. So I mentioned you could actually trade it to offset the cost if you wanted.
Anyway, thanks for the replies. Come on Auto Guys Chime in or do lt4 guys just have divine rights to that motor? (that'll get em)
sam
Old 12-05-2001, 06:28 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Come on Auto Guys Chime in or do lt4 guys just have divine rights to that motor? (that'll get em)
sam
:yesnod:
Old 12-05-2001, 06:40 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to clear it up, the whole idea is hypothetical to me because I have an lt1 a4 car. But I was thinking that it would have been nice had they offered us an engine upgrade.
Ok, you lost me. So are you considering selling your LT1 auto to buy and LT4 to convert it to an automatic? Or is this just a hypotethical conversation?

I agree an LT4 automatic would be a kickass car. 6M's do not 60' well. Panuzzo has left me in the dust at the line both times I have raced him and I wind up passing him around 2/3's of the track.

But the swap is not easy. GM made the wiring harnesses (including the dash harness), rear end, driveshaft, transmission tunnel, and torque beam unique to the 6M and A4. That makes the job more difficult and more expensive.

If one didn't own a Vette, my suggestion would to buy an LT-1 and upgrade it with engine work, convertor and a Dana 44. Heck, I'd even consider putting in a budget 383 and convertor with stock everything else and you'd probably go in the low 12's for a minimal investment.

But if you already own a LT4 car and want to keep it, are not concerned about purists blasting you for "devaluing" the car, then by all means go for it. Cars were meant to be driven not collected. We all know that very few cars are good investments so you might as well enjoy it.

But to do a factory-like installation would be very difficult and time-consuming. Best bet is to use a standalone electronic controller for the tranny and that will eliminate most of the headaches (or use a 700R4 with kickdown cable).

Just my two cents.

Old 12-06-2001, 12:04 AM
torchred96
Pro

Default Re: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy?? (Eric Fischer)

Eric.
Sorry, I should have been more specific from the start. I bought my lt-1 a4 primarily because it was a good deal for me. I didn't get the luxury of shopping around for engine/trans/interior/rear/color etc. It fell in my face and I had to act. And I definitely don't regret it. I love it too much, despite its base model status.

I asked myself this hypothetical question. Since I am an auto person,

which option would make me the happiest?

1: Take about 2-4k(max) and modify an lt1 a4 vette to be a better performer.

2: Buy an already modified a4 car by someone else.

3: Find a factory lt4 car and change out the transmission to work.

4: Buy a wrecked lt4 and swap the engine to an lt1 auto (tach/speedo et al.)

Of all the choices, Had I had my preference I would have chosen number 3. I like having the original motor and it is closer to being what the factory would have come up with had they made an auto lt4. It's just a shame they didn't (Yes, I know about the controversial ones that exist). And no one (including me most importantly) could say it wasn't an lt4 car..(albeit modified).

I would love to have found one that had already been done PROPERLY. Especially since purist would consider it Butchered and devalued and I would get it even cheaper than I could do the swap myself.

ok that's enough. lots more good stuff to read here.

Sam
Old 12-06-2001, 12:22 AM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I would love to have found one that had already been done PROPERLY. Especially since purist would consider it Butchered and devalued and I would get it even cheaper than I could do the swap myself.

ok that's enough. lots more good stuff to read here.

Sam
I don't consider myself a purist. I don't mind modifying a car or buying a car thats been modified. So factory originality doesn't mean much to me generally. The idea of putting an auto in an LT4 is scoffed at by many because the six speed is generally seen as the better transmission for the sports car enthusiast--not the drag racing enthusiast wanting consistency or the leisurely drive enthusiast who might prefer the automatic. I changed my auto 88 IROC to a 5 speed because the auto trans sucked--never shifted at the right RPM for the powerband and it was boring to drive (personal preference). All rambling aside, its not just "purists" who wouldn't want an LT4 auto. I think its pretty safe to say that more people would want a 96 LT1 that someone swapped a 6 speed into than a 96 LT4 that someone swapped an auto into. Of course, that would work out for you pretty good if this theory is correct. :)

Get notified of new replies

To How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy??

Quick Reply: How hard to convert Lt4 Vette to A4? Worthwhile or Blasphemy??