C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR tech...does anyone know?

Old 02-28-2008, 10:22 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default EGR tech...does anyone know?

So I was getting an EGR code (code 32) from the ECM in my 92, with the associated SES light when cruising. I went through the troubleshooting tree in the FSM and shot it down to the EGR valve. The diaphragm is leaking down. The fix would be to replace it, but I really don't want to.

The question here is... how does the ECM check for EGR flow and EGR valve operation? I know that if the solenoid is bad and the current draw is too high or low it will throw a code but my solenoid checks fine. Does the ECM look for a MAP change when EGR is scheduled? Does the solenoid draw too much/little current when there is a leak? It is kinda strange to me. Fords use a flow sensor to measure EGR flow but I see no such thing in my car.

I did a long test drive after plugging the EGR line after the solenoid. It seems to have solved my problem. I just want to know why.

Matt
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Just replace it, its just two bolts and its inexpensive. Had to do mine last year.

If you really want to get rid of it get a block off plate and reprogram the ECM to not check the EGR. Should only be north of $200 to do that.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Just replace it
Great advice... but I don't have time and money for useless things like that.

I am really just perplexed at how the ECM "knows" that the EGR valve has gone bad. That is what I really want to know.

Matt
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have a '92, and therefore, can't answer your question directly, but MY FSM tells what conditions trigger the check engine light for the different codes. Maybe a little more reading will help.

RACE ON!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Just replace it, its just two bolts and its inexpensive. Had to do mine last year.

If you really want to get rid of it get a block off plate and reprogram the ECM to not check the EGR. Should only be north of $200 to do that.
Does he know that there's NOT a ruptured hose, that's losin' vacuum? Instead of a bad diaphragm in the EGR? If not, then should he find that out BEFORE replacin' parts?

@op... What's up with the 8 bladed turboprop? Is that an ANG 130? What config?

Wizard out.............................

OK quickcat... all I see is the composite scimitars with 6 blades. HWat kinda' monkey business ya' got goin' on here?

Last edited by schrade; 02-29-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Maybe a little more reading will help.
MY FSM is a little more vauge on what sets a code. There is only a list of conditions where the test is run and a nice troubleshooting tree, which I followed to find the bad valve. It does mention that the intergrator is monitored during the test and must detect a change to pass. If it works the same as in the post below says it does for a 91, there will be no way for be to avoid a light without replacing the valve.

I really hate these emissions systems! What a waste.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=integrator

OK quickcat... all I see is the composite scimitars with 6 blades. HWat kinda' monkey business ya' got goin' on here?
The aircraft in my avitar is the C-130E test aircraft that I work with. It is privately owned by our company and used as a flight test platform for the C-130 mods that we develop. The props you see on there are the Hamilton Sundstrand NP2000 8-blade propellers from the Navy E-2 program. The performance it has with those props is stunning! I can PM you with some other pics and info if you want, or check out www.snowaviation.com . The site is out of date but you can get a good idea of what we have going on.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR tech...does anyone know?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR tech...does anyone know?