C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 11:43 AM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok?

After putting the plugs in my 94 vette,what a job that was,i forgot to use anti-seize, i hope this will be ok, because i dont want to go through the plugs again,should it be ok? THANKS MIKE
Old 12-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Bartman
Racer

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (CORVETTE MIKE)

I don't know if I would chance it. Aluminum and steel do not mate well especially when heat and electrical current are introduced. A couple hours of back tracking may stop a lot of headaches(galled and stripped threads, broken plugs, helicoils :sad: ) down the road. just my $.02.

Bart
Old 12-07-2001, 12:36 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (CORVETTE MIKE)

I've never used anti-seize and I've never had a problem. Just be sure that you remove and install the plugs when the head is at ambient temperature.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:43 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (jfb)

if you get time to do it then go back and do it.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:09 PM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

How much anti-seize do you put on?and do you put it on the sparkplugs threads only?
Old 12-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Camvette
Instructor

Why in the world would you use anti-seize!! Your aluminum heads are mounted to a steel block. You don't worry about them do you? I know plenty of people that race and they don't use anti-seize. Just seems like a lot of mess for no gain! :rolleyes: :p:
Old 12-07-2001, 02:38 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (Camvette)

I have used Anti-Seize (on a Jag XKE - Alum. head) and had a plug seize and take out the threads.

I have never used Anti-Seize on my 87 Vette heads, and never had a problem (just changed plugs last month, and they were in there for 3 years - 50K miles).
Old 12-07-2001, 02:39 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (Camvette)

Why in the world would you use anti-seize!! Your aluminum heads are mounted to a steel block. You don't worry about them do you? I know plenty of people that race and they don't use anti-seize. Just seems like a lot of mess for no gain! :rolleyes: :p:
Mainly galling, and the fact that sometimes the threads mate to the plugs and come out with them. Race cars in general have their plugs pulled far more often and don't run as long as street cars cycling through heat changes. Aluminum heads are seperated by headgaskets, blocks are cast iron.
Old 12-07-2001, 02:59 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My car probably had the original plugs after 52000 miles, they came out just fine. When I did my cam and such I put new plugs in. I got anti-sieze but my friend put the plugs in when I wasn't there, so much for that. Anyway, several months later I pulled them out no problem. I put them back WITH anti-seize just to be safe. I don't figure it would hurt anything and could prevent problems in the future. I don't think it's required, but I would do it next time just in case.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:11 PM
emoshn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (Nathan Plemons)

I have a 92 with 102K on the clock. I'm getting ready to pull the plugs. I have all the service records on the car and I see no mention of the plugs having ever been changed...so these are the originals I believe.

Did the factory use anti-sieze when they installed them? And...is there anything in particular I should do to avoid damaging the heads when pulling the old plugs?
Old 12-07-2001, 04:26 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

CORVETTE MIKE, I put a little antisieze on my finger and wipe it around the threads. Then I smooth it around the plug and wipe it off my finger with a paper towel (don't get any on the insulator).

Let the motor cool down before removing bolts (or plugs) from Al to minimize the chance of gauling.

I was told by G.Killebrew to always use antisieze where steel bolts go into Al. If you ever have a bolt gaul and brake off you'll think the fuss is well worth it.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:31 PM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (emoshn)

Mine had 40,000 mi. on with the orig.plugs,and they were so tight i had to use a braker bar ,but they came out ok.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:41 PM
GRX
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anti-seize application has nothing to do with aluminum on steel. Electrolysis needs two metals PLUS the presence of moisture. I doubt much moisture exists on spark plug threads! You should use anti-seize because its CHEAP insurance against stuck threads and the resultant galling.
I use it on ANYTHING that I assemble. Avoid using too much, because the anti-seize contains minute particles of aluminum, and, if it gets on the spark plug porcelain, it could short the spark. :chevy Oh yeah, one more thing: I've found that engines that are burning some oil can get away more from using anti-seize, because the oil creeps up on the threads. If your motor burns clean, you better use the stuff.

[Modified by GRX, 12:44 PM 12/7/2001]
Old 12-07-2001, 05:16 PM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (GRX)

Yes but my plugs are already in and i drove my vette twice since then but only on short trips,will it be ok to take them back out and add anti-seize,or should i let them go.the plugs been in for about two weeks.Is that to long or will i be allright? THANKS MIKE
Old 12-07-2001, 05:22 PM
torchred96
Pro

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (GRX)

What Grx Said. The electrolyte doesn't have to be moisture though I don't think, but I don't know what it would be, since gasoline is not a conductor. Contaminated oil with water would be though I would think. Just my guess.

If you ever had a boat in salt water with steel washers on an aluminum engine, you know first hand what happends when dissimilar metals are put together in an electrolytic solution (ie salt water). It's ugly and costly.

[Modified by torchred96, 9:23 PM 12/7/2001]
Old 12-07-2001, 07:19 PM
Turismo
Advanced

Default It's your vette, treat it right.

It takes less than 30 min to remove and install my spark plugs. Pull 'em and sparingly apply anti-seize. A copper based anti-seize is also available. You need to use anti-seize to:
1) Allow easy installation and removal of plugs (no breaker bar needed even after 60K miles). :smash:
2) Provide proper lubrication to obtain correct torque.

Attention to detail and good engineering practice, such as applying anti-seize, are what separate a professional from a hack.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:41 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: It's your vette, treat it right. (Turismo)

One doesnt really have to worry too much if forgetting to use anti seize.BUT,if you plan to drive the car for years and do the job again,Id use it.Ive changed plugs many times on different motors with aluminum heads and they had no anti seize to begin with.

On high mileage cars with stock plugs,I would spray around the spark plugs some brake cleaner and use an air hose to clean any dirt away then spray WD-40 around the plugs,so when taking them off, the lube kinda works its way down on the threads easing it to come off then bone dry and possibly galling the heads.Ive never stripped a bolt this way.I hate taking them off when theyre bone dry from the factory.

And I always used anti seize after that on new plugs and parts that need it..On some jobs,like exhaust manifold bolts and etc,4 years later they came off easy because I had used anti seize there.Without it,they would have snapped off or stripped out.

Dont panic that you dont have any on there now, but as I said,it will pay off down the road if,on a free day you take some time to remove the plugs again and apply a little bit around the threads.Dont need to cake it on,just a little dab will do ya.Just dont wait a few years before doing so.
:)
Old 12-08-2001, 09:30 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok? (Plasticman)

I would go back and put anti-seize on there if I were you....

Get notified of new replies

To Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok?

Quick Reply: Forgot to use anti-seize on sparkplugs,will it be ok?