C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 09:17 PM
dgoodhue
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (TIMSPEED)

I bought my Vette when I was 21. I looked around for about 9 months, I originally was going to get a loan, but by the time I found the car I had saved almost enough money to buy what I originally had planned on spending. I was looking for a 85-87 coupe, but I ended spending little more on a convertible. It took me 5 months to pay back what I borrow from my Mom.

I paid for it by Delivering Pizza, I work a ton of hours, had no life and drove reliable Toyota Truck. It took my approx 2 years of saving. When I first started saving my Money, I told some friends and family that I was going to buy a Corvette, almost everyone laughed at me, so I stopped telling what was saving for. It just made me more determined.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Parents bought it for me.

Just kidding.

I am 24 and am paying $$$ to get this thing paid off before my loan term to save in interest.

If I was 16 and had a 'Vette regardless of what year or mods it had, I'd be a dead man
Old 12-07-2001, 09:33 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (dgoodhue)

Not to jump on ya....., but that MIGHT tell you something about a 16 y/o with a Corvette.
I was fairly ornery about this statement since I thought my story was common knowledge; but it would appear you just aren't up to date on events, Scorp! :) Anyways,

Heading north on a 4 lane road w/ median, stopped 2nd in line behind a riced out Civic and in front of a semi trailer. Light went green, began accelerating to 35mph, had to slow normally for the Civic which had its blinker on and was turning right, just as the Civic exited the road I was struck dead-on from behind by the semi which did not make any attempt to slow down. Truck driver was cited for failure to stop to avoid an accident, and my baby was hauled off on a flatbed. :cry

Pics at htp://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/stormy652

Man I need to update that site....
Old 12-07-2001, 09:52 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (dizwiz24)

If I was 16 and had a 'Vette regardless of what year or mods it had, I'd be a dead man
Actually I feel I am more responsible in a Vette than any of the other cars in our garage. I keep a better eye on things, pay more attention, and am able to react to adverse situations faster.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:07 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (stormy652)

Stormy...

We all know how good we were at age 16. In fact, the older I get, the better I was :D

We all also know you DO NOT have the driving experience someone 10 or 20 years older than you has. Please remember to keep that in mind when you think your reactions will save your butt. Usually, reaction is not what saves anyone...it's knowing what is about to happen to avoid it, and that, my friend, takes experience. You should not forget that you are not invincible, no one is.

Be careful.

Old 12-07-2001, 10:59 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (BBA)

You should not forget that you are not invincible, no one is.
What? Noooo! The walls of reality are crumbling around me! Aaarrrrgggh!!! :jester

No but seriously I'm more god than man.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:49 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (stormy652)

I got my first vette when I was 21 (1994 Polo Green over Black Coupe with an auto) I traded in my mint 1994 Mustang Cobra for it, less than 8 months later I had my GS, Im 26 now and I have/had 3 vettes, I dont think I could go without owning one, My fiance also has a vette (1995 Comp Yellow Coupe) that is why Im selling the 92, we dont have room for all the cars :)

Mike
Old 12-08-2001, 02:14 AM
flyinace2000
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

I was 16 when i bought it (Febuary). But ic ould not drive it till i was 17 (april)! The Longest 2 months of my life!!! But i paid for it by working in a pIzzaria from Freshman year to Current. Everyone at my school has the BMW's and SAAB's....But mine in 100% USA!!! The only car that could even beat mine (if i raced) would be this kid who put 2 supercharges in his car. The funniest thing was when this kid in his firebird asked me to race the first day i had it with my license, I said no. Later i find out while we were both in Auto Shop, it was a 6 cylinder! HAHAHA...Plus it was from the late 80's. Kids at my school can be so stupid sometimes...I get more WIll Your car is such a peace of crap...I just am like "Ok Thanks!" I get a wierd look because they are just jealus! Those are the kids at school you just wanted to hit upside the head a few times, remeber them?

Will
Old 12-08-2001, 02:59 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it? (flyinace2000)

Got a loan from my dad... now that loan has been halted.. luckily no interest... and i'm paying for the motor rebuild.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:26 AM
BAdAzZV8
Drifting

Default Re: (scorp508)

so I do all that myself too, with scholarship money, and money I get from working for my uncle when I go home for breaks in school.

Oh I bet the people who give them out would just love to see that... :rolleyes:
Hey, I worked hard for that money in HS. I earned it, it's not like I just got it handed to me for nothing. It is my money to do with what I please, it just so happens that I like to fix up my car as well as pay for books and crap too. Oh, and I get 4 pretty decent scholarships, so I'd have to say I earned them.
Old 12-08-2001, 06:40 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: (BAdAzZV8)

I purchased my 87 when I was 21 and I paied every dime myself....
oh now Im 27 :lol:
Old 12-08-2001, 09:05 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCORP...You sure are stepping in it today...These young guys are gona be gunning for you. :yesnod: :lol: :yesnod: :lol: :yesnod: :lol:
Old 12-08-2001, 11:00 AM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: (scorp508)

I am 16 .......... Two weeks after purchase it was totalled.

Not to jump on ya....., but that MIGHT tell you something about a 16 y/o with a Corvette.
Hey now, im 16 right now with a vette. Sure I don't have the experience like all you geezers :D, but I know that this thing will easly kill me so I always think before I go. Which means no racing on the street or taking turns at 50+
Old 12-08-2001, 12:23 PM
jay17
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (vettes rule)

I turned 22 last month, got my vette back in March. It was a gift from my parents (very lucky) :)
Old 12-08-2001, 12:26 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey now, im 16 right now with a vette. Sure I don't have the experience like all you geezers :D,
GEEZER??!!? HEY!! I'm only 21 damnit!! :D Thats it, I'm not buying for you like I said I would!!! :lol:
Old 12-08-2001, 02:42 PM
rmedina
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was 21 when I got my 87.
Kind of weird how I came across it.
My first baby (84 Fiero) broke down. So I was desperate to get another ride.
I was thinking about getting a trooper at the local Isuzu dealer. So I went down when they were closed (to avoid the sales people). As I was looking around I saw my next love all by her in the back of the used car lot.
I had to get it. Next day I went to talk to the manager. It turned out the vette was a trade in the day before. The manager also told my they were just going to send off to any auction the next day. He then told me I could have for 8999.00. I told him I would have to think about it. So I went home made a few calls to see how much the base auction price was for this type of car.
I then called back to make an offer for only 6000.00 cash. By my surprise they took it..

RM
Old 12-08-2001, 03:42 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine (whos 19) has a black 89 conv. I drove it once and fell in love. I decided to sell my old car - 97 formula and start looking around. after weeks of looking my dad told me he saw an 89 sitting outside of a gas station not far away. I went and looked at it and had to have it. Unfortunately, my car would not sell for another 2 months, but sure enough, just when the owner had given up and put it back in his driveway, i sold my car. I tracked him down through friends who lived in the area and went to his house and offered him 10k cash ( he was selling for 11k). SOLD. In case you were wondering where i got the money to get the formula ( which got me the vette ) my dad cosigned the loan and then removed his name when i turned 18. I was 17 then.

Get notified of new replies

To How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it?

Old 12-08-2001, 03:49 PM
Mr. CJ
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Young vette owners

I bought my first Vette at 18, I'm 22 now. It was an 84 and I paid cash, a few months later I saw a 92 Yellow Convertible that I had to have, went to the bank and got out some more cash and also kept my 84. I then got into the Corvette Parts and resale business and made some money there, and a few months later still having 3 Vettes, I bought a white 92 Vette and had it restored to showroom quality with low miles on it already, I sold it for a good price, got the cash and bought another 84 Z51 Vette. Now I had three Vettes that were all paid for, now what to do? So I bought a yellow 90 6 speed. Up to 4 Vettes now. Sold the 84 Z51 and the yellow 90 6 speed and bought the ZR-1 then sold my 92 yellow convertible that I owned for 2 years. All the while I was a jobless full time college student studying a rigorous curriculum of Financial Economics. I graduated this sumemr and now I'm down to two Vettes and looking at a 4,000 mile 92 ZR-1. We'll see how that deal goes! I learned that cash is the best bargaining tool. If you have the title in hand you can also negotiate a lot easier too! One can never have too many Vettes!
Old 12-08-2001, 03:57 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Which means no racing on the street or taking turns at 50+

then how are you going to drive on the expressway? slow down to 49 mph every turn? :lol:
Old 12-08-2001, 03:59 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

I'm turning 19 on the 23rd :D , I don't have a Corvette right now, but I did have a 1981 which I got a loan for and purchased with my own money (part-time jobs). I currently dirve a 1997 Trans Am, which I acquired by the same means and I'm about to sell that to get a C4.

Quick Reply: How many 16-21 Corvette Owners? How did you get it?