C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Hot cam

Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
I don't know what ad you are looking at but if you look at the link in my post, those are bare heads. If valves and intake / exhaust flow is properly matched bigger valves will produce more power. Have you already been drinking green beer?
I was referring to the ad in the OPs' post; rube1975, and his question. The TrickFlows are complete and have 56CC chambers. The only link I see in your post is to Brodix.

Re-read my post also... "big valves, without the proper port". Perhaps your reading skills are on par with my spelling ability? A common example... if you stick a 2.02" valve; in a #441 SBC head for instance, without Bowl and STR work, it will flow less.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Curveit
I was referring to the ad in the OPs' post; rube1975, and his question. The TrickFlows are complete and have 56CC chambers. The only link I see in your post is to Brodix.

Re-read my post also... "big valves, without the proper port". Perhaps your reading skills are on par with my spelling ability? A common example... if you stick a 2.02" valve; in a #441 SBC head for instance, without Bowl and STR work, it will flow less.

O K Very slowly, go to my post quoting Rube's link inside my post. Those are Trick Flow BARE heads....period. Now, I understand all about the point you are making, but it is MOOT! The Brodix head I was suggesting are designed buy Brodix engineers, and are a complete head. They work with this every day. They don't sit around on their azz reading car magazines.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Curveit
Drifting

O K Very slowly, go to my post quoting Rube's link inside my post. Those are Trick Flow BARE heads....period. Now, I understand all about the point you are making, but it is MOOT! The Brodix head I was suggesting are designed buy Brodix engineers, and are a complete head. They work with this every day. They don't sit around on their azz reading car magazines.
My mistake...Now I see the problem. I just skimmed the top of the ad and went down to the bottom, where It implied to me that the valves and springs were included. Now that is a moot point to me, as I wouldn't buy either head. Just trying to be helpful to the OP. I like AFRs... they're a complete head, also designed by engineers. I don't know if they read a lot of magazines or not... maybe you can ask Tony. Surely that wasn't directed at me and that you're trying to insult me again. I quoted two magazine articles to jsup; as opposed to saying "Joe Blow down the street", or some internet "nutslinger", because I thought it would be a more credible source for most people. Hot Rod magazine for instance has millions of readers worldwide, since 1949, and I don't think they BS much. It wouldn't be in their best interest.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

My mistake...Now I see the problem. I just skimmed the top of the ad and went down to the bottom, where It implied to me that the valves and springs were included. Now that is a moot point to me, as I wouldn't buy either head. Just trying to be helpful to the OP. I like AFRs... they're a complete head, also designed by engineers. I don't know if they read a lot of magazines or not... maybe you can ask Tony. Surely that wasn't directed at me and that you're trying to insult me again. I quoted two magazine articles to jsup; as opposed to saying "Joe Blow down the street", or some internet "nutslinger", because I thought it would be a more credible source for most people. Hot Rod magazine for instance has millions of readers worldwide, since 1949, and I don't think they BS much. It wouldn't be in their best interest.

You just jumped at the chance to berate someone who had a solution for the OP that didn't include AFR's. To bad you were the guy caught with his head up his azz. Exactly how any of your posts helped the OP is a mystery. You spent all your time telling me I couldn't read. Well, I guess everyone who reads this has a good idea now of your reading and reasoning skills! So much for being a "credible source".
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Curveit
Drifting

You just jumped at the chance to berate someone who had a solution for the OP that didn't include AFR's. To bad you were the guy caught with his head up his azz. Exactly how any of your posts helped the OP is a mystery. You spent all your time telling me I couldn't read. Well, I guess everyone who reads this has a good idea now of your reading and reasoning skills! So much for being a "credible source".
Incorrect assumption, I was trying to be helpful as always. I saw 56CC and went down to the bottom of the ad. It was misleading to me. I was mistaken about the valves, but not the chamber size. 50% for me. You were correct about them being bare, incorrect as to what I posted about big valves. 50%for you. I was referring to the magazine as the "credible source", so perhaps your reading and reasoning skills are lacking as well.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Incorrect assumption, I was trying to be helpful as always. I saw 56CC and went down to the bottom of the ad. It was misleading to me. I was mistaken about the valves, but not the chamber size. 50% for me. You were correct about them being bare, incorrect as to what I posted about big valves. 50%for you. I was referring to the magazine as the "credible source", so perhaps your reading and reasoning skills are lacking as well.

Well, at least you are consistent. it was JSUP that quoted the chamber size on the Trick Flows, not me. (reading skills) The ONLY thing I said about those Trick Flows was to point out they were bare heads. You missed that all afternoon. (reading skills). The only thing I said regarding bigger valves was to point out that Brodix heads had bigger valves than the Trick Flows. (reading skills). Then you went off on that stupid valve tangent.
So, that makes me 100% correct and you 100% incorrect. I guess you need to work on your math skills as well.

Last edited by BADDUCK; 03-17-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2008, 08:43 PM
rube1975
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so ive been poking around and i think i am close to a desision
1 the brodix 180's (http://www.jegs.com/p/Brodix/760699/10002/-1/10187)
seem to be a good balance between performance and money
PS does brodix sell direct?? couldnt find a price sheet

2 AFR180cc (http://www.jegs.com/p/AFR/756115/10002/-1/10187)
while being a good head it seems to be the same head as the brodix for more money

3 GM vortec(http://www.jegs.com/p/GM+Performance...10002/-1/10187)
cheap bare (a plus since i have the springs and retainers already) but cast iron

4 the trick flows previously mentioned
i didnt see and one say it but do these just suck?!? the seem good to me but hey i have no clue

thanks again for all the help guys
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rube1975

while being a good head it seems to be the same head as the brodix for more money

cheap bare (a plus since i have the springs and retainers already) but cast iron

i didnt see and one say it but do these just suck?!? the seem good to me but hey i have no clue

1.Brodix will sell direct, they also will mill the heads for you. You will need to call them on pricing. They protect distributors.
2. Bingo!
3. I don't know
4. The trick flows are $1200 complete and don't flow that much better than your 113's They have a decent reputation.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

The thing you need to look at is how do the heads flow vs how much do they cost. I would stay away from the TFS and Eldelbrock heads, they are close to your stock 113's. If the Brodix listed flow any were near the AFR's, I would go w/ them, seem like the best bang for the buck.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the max lift on the Brodix heads is .525, same lift as the Hot Cam, you may want to call brodix and see if they are available w/ a better spring.

Randy

Last edited by RandyJ75; 03-17-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
rube1975
Racer

well i have the springs that came with the hot cam kit... those should work fine right?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Curveit
Drifting

I wonder about the straight plug configuration of those Brodix heads. Wouldn't this will be an issue; with most all C-4 headers being designed for angle plugs? If this isn't a problem, then the Brodix head does flow about the same as a Vortec, which would make it a pretty good head for a street motor. The AFRs do flow a good bit better, are angle plug, uses LS type valves, and has a good combustion chamber. They do cost more; around $1450 plus the head cut.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
The thing you need to look at is how do the heads flow vs how much do they cost. I would stay away from the TFS and Eldelbrock heads, they are close to your stock 113's. If the Brodix listed flow any were near the AFR's, I would go w/ them, seem like the best bang for the buck.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the max lift on the Brodix heads is .525, same lift as the Hot Cam, you may want to call brodix and see if they are available w/ a better spring.

Randy
O K, I will correct you, you are wrong. Brodix list flow on their website up to .600 on the 180 IK heads and up to .575 lift with the CC 987 springs. I really wish you guys would research rather than pulling information out of you azz! It does no one any good when you guess!
www.brodix.com
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

well i have the springs that came with the hot cam kit... those should work fine right?
The springs on the Brodix heads are better than the LT4 springs. You can easily sell the springs you have. Straight plugs are fine. These guys are making up problems based on NO research. Do your own fact finding. JSUP just installed Brodix heads on his 1990 and installed headers at the same time. PM him if you want ACCURATE info. on header install issues.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Curveit
Drifting

I think I asked a fair question... It's a pain changing plugs in the best of conditions, and I seem to recall problems with straight plug heads and angle plug headers. jsups' heads are not the same as the ones suggested. His are most likely angle plug as that series is offered in both.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:19 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

O K, I will correct you, you are wrong. Brodix list flow on their website up to .600 on the 180 IK heads and up to .575 lift with the CC 987 springs. I really wish you guys would research rather than pulling information out of you azz! It does no one any good when you guess!
www.brodix.com
Well, Mr Expert, if you look at the link to the Jegs web site, the info they have on there says that the max lift is .525. So stick that up your AZZ.

Sorry That I am not a Brodix expert like you, but then I have a set 180cc AFR's, but we won't talk about that...

Randy
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Well, Mr Expert, if you look at the link to the Jegs web site, the info they have on there says that the max lift is .525. So stick that up your AZZ.

Sorry That I am not a Brodix expert like you, but then I have a set 180cc AFR's, but we won't talk about that...

Randy
I know this is a difficult concept for some of you AFR ites' to grasp, but different springs will accommodate different valve lifts. ie. CC 981 springs will handle up to .525 lift, CC 987 up to .575 lift, dual springs even more. Brodix offers different capacities for different requirements.
You looked at one version that Brodix offers and in your ignorance you provided the OP with erroneous information.
If you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about you should keep you big mouth shut and try to learn something.
Now stick that up your azz!

Last edited by BADDUCK; 03-19-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I know this is a difficult concept for some of you AFR ites' to grasp, but different springs will accommodate different valve lifts. ie. CC 981 springs will handle up to .525 lift, CC 987 up to .575 lift, dual springs even more. Brodix offers different capacities for different requirements.
You looked at one version that Brodix offers and in your ignorance you provided the OP with erroneous information.
If you don't know what the h*ll you are talking about you should keep you big mouth shut and try to learn something.
Now stick that up your azz!
You are a complete azz. I said in my original post that the link provided stated that the max lift was .525. I then said the OP should contact Brodix and see if they offered springs that provide a higher lift. That is because in researching MANY different heads, I know that most heads are offered w/ different lift springs. Tell me what is wrong about that statement? Your own response says that it is correct, so whats your point? Just trying to pick a fight? I never said I checked w/ Brodix's web site. When it comes to understanding how heads are sold, you need to read more than one site.
Let me ask a question. Do you have a set of aftermarket heads on your car? Or are you just some azz who read a couple of posts and Brodix's web site, and thinks that makes you some kind of expert. Azz's like you are whats killing this forum. Now your going after me because you think it makes you look smart, while in reality it only makes you look like the complete azz that you are.
To the OP, I apologize that your thread turn into a pissing match because of this a**hole, but this happens some times on a public forum. I hope you have enough info that you feel confident in your choice of heads.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Hot cam

Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 PM
90steelblue
Instructor

Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

You are a complete azz. I said in my original post that the link provided stated that the max lift was .525. I then said the OP should contact Brodix and see if they offered springs that provide a higher lift. That is because in researching MANY different heads, I know that most heads are offered w/ different lift springs. Tell me what is wrong about that statement? Your own response says that it is correct, so whats your point? Just trying to pick a fight? I never said I checked w/ Brodix's web site. When it comes to understanding how heads are sold, you need to read more than one site.
Let me ask a question. Do you have a set of aftermarket heads on your car? Or are you just some azz who read a couple of posts and Brodix's web site, and thinks that makes you some kind of expert. Azz's like you are whats killing this forum. Now your going after me because you think it makes you look smart, while in reality it only makes you look like the complete azz that you are.
To the OP, I apologize that your thread turn into a pissing match because of this a**hole, but this happens some times on a public forum. I hope you have enough info that you feel confident in your choice of heads.

Randy
If you don't want to be corrected, don't post erroneous information. Actually, what ruins many public forums is internet ball slingers like you who post fiction as fact.
You can get pizzed off, and call me names all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you had your head "where the sun doesn't shine".
So don't whine like somehow you are the injured party.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

The springs on the Brodix heads are better than the LT4 springs. You can easily sell the springs you have. Straight plugs are fine. These guys are making up problems based on NO research. Do your own fact finding. JSUP just installed Brodix heads on his 1990 and installed headers at the same time. PM him if you want ACCURATE info. on header install issues.
I went with the Race Rites, not the IKs.

The reason is that the IKs did not come in angled plugs.

The Race Rites are more expensive, about $1400 milled to 58CC, but they make more power, so I was told by engine builders.

I also had to have the temp sensor drilled into the head.

Last edited by jsup; 03-19-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: L98 Hot cam